Author Topic: Castle scoring with mayors  (Read 7476 times)

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
Re: Castle scoring with mayors
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2021, 04:04:04 AM »
A couple of images illustrating how the chin reaction is broken by the third castle from the left. The arrows indicate the feature(s) the castle may score the points for.

Example 1: the fief of the third castle does not overlap the second, so it cannot spread the chain reaction.
Example 2: the fief of the third castle does not overlap the second and it is already completed, so it cannot spread the chain reaction either.
I did't look to image seriously and I didn't figure that castle is rurned at 90°.
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2021, 04:12:10 AM »
A couple of images illustrating how the chain reaction is broken by the third castle from the left. The arrows indicate the feature(s) the castle may score the points for.

Example 1: the fief of the third castle does not overlap the second castle, so it cannot spread the chain reaction.
Example 2: the fief of the third castle does not overlap the second castle and it is already completed, so it cannot spread the chain reaction either.

Now that I think about it ... I think you have opened the door to another discussion hahaha
Because yes, the castle is in the fief of the first ... And then there would be the question of what you base it on to say that a fief yes and another no when the official sentence doesn’t go beyond haha this is already speculation haha
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2021, 04:15:19 AM »
‘So the second example is impossible, unless that meeple was removed by a festival.‘
Exactly. Obviously there are ways that I know of that situation.
The fact is that the sentence of the official rules if the German term is interpreted as in any of the 6 tiles, absurd ways of scoring could be given as the last examples that I have put. Which personally contradict the main rules of a castle and its 6 tiles.
If finally HiG really clarifies what it had in mind with that sentence (I think it would have been good to put an image in the official rules) and it is like that, it would be another example of the nonsense that it carries behind its back ... Like the new rules for the halflings, German castles or the C2 wagon ... Not being an official is going to make more sense.
And if in the end they literally wanted to say ‘next to’, that "chain reaction" it would be more difficult for it to happen and the game would be somewhat more balanced ...

In a real game, there will never be a lot of chain reactions anyway. In a real game it would be nearly impossible to place a line of castles in such a way that all of them fit in another castle's fief (as you have noticed yourself now when you were trying to compile the example). And even if it would happen in a real game, most of the castles would be completed already in previous turns to keep scores of the opponents low.

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2021, 04:16:22 AM »
A couple of images illustrating how the chin reaction is broken by the third castle from the left. The arrows indicate the feature(s) the castle may score the points for.

Example 1: the fief of the third castle does not overlap the second, so it cannot spread the chain reaction.
Example 2: the fief of the third castle does not overlap the second and it is already completed, so it cannot spread the chain reaction either.
I did't look to image seriously and I didn't figure that castle is rurned at 90°.

I was too quick with my reply too  ;)
But Meepledrone's conclusion is correct.

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2021, 04:18:11 AM »
A couple of images illustrating how the chain reaction is broken by the third castle from the left. The arrows indicate the feature(s) the castle may score the points for.

Example 1: the fief of the third castle does not overlap the second castle, so it cannot spread the chain reaction.
Example 2: the fief of the third castle does not overlap the second castle and it is already completed, so it cannot spread the chain reaction either.

Now that I think about it ... I think you have opened the door to another discussion hahaha
Because yes, the castle is in the fief of the first ... And then there would be the question of what you base it on to say that a fief yes and another no when the official sentence doesn’t go beyond haha this is already speculation haha

Dr. Meeple, as far as I can see, you are the only one with doubts...

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2021, 04:33:03 AM »

[/quote]

Yes, but still didn't know is it will overlaps if chain will containus or not. I think yes. If not, it will be in rules, like stop of "tripple" turn for Builder.

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2021, 04:51:32 AM »

Yes, but still didn't know is it will overlaps if chain will containus or not. I think yes. If not, it will be in rules, like stop of "tripple" turn for Builder.

Every castle is scored independently and only once for the first feature in its fief. So yes, all of them will be scored if they have a first completed feature in their fief.

The builder's power is a completely different thing as it can be activated turn after turn.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2021, 05:07:50 AM »

Dr. Meeple, as far as I can see, you are the only one with doubts...

This will be fun: :D Tell me exactly where in the official rules published by HiG it talks about overlaps beyond the brief sentence that I have already commented.  :))
First you tell me that you interpret the sentence as any feature of the 6 tiles that surround a castle even another castle in those 6 tiles... But right now you say that only if the fiefs overlap then we apply it... And this... in what part have you read?  ;D
Even if the sentence of the rules is fulfilled as you interpret it, you add the concept of overlap :o
We began to open speculation to infinity and beyond hahaha ...

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2021, 05:28:46 AM »
Meepledrone did not write that the fiefs should overlap.

Meepledrone has written that the fief should overlap the feature. In these examples the feature happens to be a castle.
That is just another way of saying that the feature should be located in the castle's fief as per the original rules.

This will be fun: :D

I think this summarizes the overall purpose of your discussion.
It seems that you just like to discuss, whether it contributes anything or not...

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2021, 05:43:48 AM »

Meepledrone has written that the fief should overlap the feature. In these examples the feature happens to be a castle.
That is just another way of saying that the feature should be located in the castle's fief as per the original rules.

It seems that you just like to discuss, whether it contributes anything or not...

With my understanding of the rules, I do totally agree with Meepledrone and Vital Pluymers :yellow-meeple:

And yes, the purpose of this discussion seems to be turning in circles. Even if the original questions were good ones, they've already been clarified but it seems the clarifications doesn't matter here  :(

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2021, 05:47:41 AM »
Vital Pluymers, you were precisely the one who told me that everything is very clear. But I am talking about the official rules. For me something is very clear when the official rules are clear. When it isn’t, saying that everything is clear because we seek clarification ourselves or that everything fits is something else but it is not the same. Everything we can say may be the most logical thing in the world but it isn’t official. For example, the changes to some rules for C2 do not seem right to me and they are official ... Ultimately I can decide whether to apply them or not ...
From what I am seeing there are still many things about the rules that aren’t clear from the German language and that has caused many errors and diverse interpretations when translating them into English and paraphrasing things ... Although HiG I believe that in the official rules of many expansions not explained well ...

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2021, 05:49:35 AM »

With my understanding of the rules, I do totally agree with Meepledrone and Vital Pluymers :yellow-meeple:

And yes, the purpose of this discussion seems to be turning in circles. Even if the original questions were good ones, they've already been clarified but it seems the clarifications doesn't matter here  :(

The question is what is the official text and what does HiG say.  :yellow-meeple:

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2021, 05:52:54 AM »
If HiG doesn’t say anything official, the rest are logical assumptions that make sense but nothing more ...
Later it may happen that HiG corroborates these assumptions or not. In any case, as I say, you can decide to apply it or not.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2021, 10:50:22 AM »
Just a clarification on the points a castle receives...

Here you are a clarification by Christof Tisch of HiG on BGG from 8/2010:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/558260/article/5453859#5453859

As a castle owner you also get points for a completed feature (no farm), if nobody scores this completed feature. So the points for the castle do not depend on the points someone gets when a completed feature is scored.

This confirms that, when scoring a castle, you should pay attention to the points completed features are worth, no matter if they are occupied or not. Points scored by figures on the completed feature, if occupied, are irrelevant (like in the case of a mayor in a castle or a city with no coats of arms).
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2021, 12:35:01 AM »
I think it will be good to change wikicarpedia with special section in all of rules with Official rules clarification, which are in footnotes to separate regular paragraph.
For wiki style of pages, footnotes are used only for citations. Here on wikicarpedia are used also for special comments.
Some of them are "not prooved" some are official.
Those official can be added to special part and then became a regular part of rules (like interactions with other rules in official rules for large expansions).

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Scoring Cities with Mayors and Cathedrals (involves two expansions)

Started by JGreystone

6 Replies
Last post March 21, 2016, 01:44:41 PM
by Rosco
xx
To Castle Or Not To Castle?

Started by danisthirty

10 Replies
Last post November 01, 2015, 01:14:56 AM
by Hounk
xx
Castle scoring with a witch in that adjacent city question.

Started by Paul

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 09:59:09 PM
by Carcking
xx
Castle scoring question

Started by RitaC

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2015, 07:35:54 PM
by DLloyd09
xx
Castle Scoring