Author Topic: The Tower (A)  (Read 16849 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
The Tower (A)
« on: May 31, 2016, 03:21:53 PM »
Group A:
  • Chooselife
  • Decar
  • khalidqasrawi
  • Merlin_89
  • MrNumbers

Please read the following tournament notes/ guidance/ rules before continuing:

1. Players have already been divided into four different groups (Groups A to D). Each player will play one game of Carcassonne against every other player in their group individually via a series of 2-player/ head-to-head games. The winner of each game will be awarded two league points whereas the loser gets nothing. If the game is tied, both players receive one league point each.

2. Players in each group will be ranked according to the number of league points they have scored. PD (Points Differential) will be used as an initial tie-breaker if there is no clear winner based on league points alone, and total combined score (from all games) will be used as a second tie-breaker if necessary. Your PD is calculated by taking the total number of points scored by you and subtracting the total number of points scored against you (combined across all games).

3. Games will be played online through the latest stable version of JCloisterZone (currently 3.4.2). Please ensure you have downloaded this and are familiar with its controls and features before the competition begins. It is also recommended that you have played at least one practice game against a live opponent (as opposed to a dead one) in order to identify and resolve any technical problems before your first game.

4. JCloisterZone includes a number of artificial aids such as farm hints, projected scores and even tile-counting assistance. I can't stop you from using any of these, and won't know if you do, but I do urge you to play under "exam conditions" as far as possible so that you're relying purely on your own wits, knowledge and experience rather than using anything else to help you. I know it's a competition and we all want to win, but let's keep it fair, fun and friendly as far as possible...

5. Each game will include the basic tiles plus the Tower expansion only (no other expansions please). This is 90 tiles including the start tile, so 89 tiles will be shuffled and randomly drawn for you and your opponent in turn. The starting player should be chosen at random through JCZ by selecting the “Randomize seating order” checkbox on the pre-game screen.

6. If any unexpected behaviour occurs during your game (for example if you think you have discovered a bug within JCloisterZone which may have altered the course of the game for you), please consult with your opponent and the CAR/ anyone else who happens to be in the chat room at the time to determine whether it appears to be a genuine bug. If it is, please save your game and post details of the bug along with anything else relating to how it came about on the forums. If however, you and your opponent are both happy to continue with your game despite the bug then feel free to do so, but don’t forget to mention the bug afterwards no matter how minor it may have seemed!

7. Please post a screenshot of your game, including final scores and score breakdown, back to your group thread as soon as your game is complete. It's always interesting to hear what happened during the game too, so please feel free to post any thoughts/ comments at the same time if you wish. If you're not sure how to capture/ post screenshots, please ask on the forums and either myself or someone else will explain how to do this (we're a friendly bunch!)

8. It is the players responsibility to liaise with their fellow group-members in order to find a mutually convenient time to play their game. This is expected to be done predominantly through Private Messages but feel free to use your group thread (here) too if this is easier. Please do keep any appointments you make, or at least give your opponent as much notice as possible if something occurs which prevents you from playing at the agreed time (more on the "Unwritten Rules" is available here).

9. Each of the 4 initial groups contains 5 players so the first stage of the competition will end when every player (all 20 of us) has played 4 games. At this point, the pool will split into 5 groups of 4 depending on finishing position in the initial groups. So, the top-ranked players from groups A - D will form group E1, and those who came second in each group will form group E2. The same will be true for groups E3 to E5.

10. Play in groups E1 to E5 will constitute the second stage of the competition which will run in the same way as the first except with more groups and fewer people per group. League points, PD and total score will be reset at this point (but remembered for overall stats) so that no single player in any group has any kind of advantage. Finishing positions in groups at the second stage will determine overall rank: 1st=E1-1, 2nd=E1-2, 3rd=E1-3, 4th=E1-4, 5th=E2-1, ..., 16th=E4-4, 17th=E5-1, 18th=E5-2, 19th=E5-3, 20th=E5-4.

Finally, you may find the following links helpful: Carcassonne Central IRC Chat and JCloisterZone.

The competition is now on! Good luck everyone... :) :(y)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2763.0
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:42:42 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
Re: The Tower (A)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 03:59:27 AM »
Hi All,

Let the hostilities begin  :P.
I'm usually available on GMT evenings as late as possible, but considering the strategic component and 90 tiles of Base+Tower, I would prefer not to start games after 23h00GMT unless otherwise impossible.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Merlin_89

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 01:00:34 AM »
We are getting a little bit behind... Let's get it going!

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 01:13:43 AM »
Merlin_89 I'm able to play right now.

Offline Merlin_89

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 03:45:08 PM »
First game in group A is over!
Merlin_89 102-85 MrNumbers

It was truly blockbuster game, I can't remember to play so strategic and sharp game with Tower expansion. There was changing luck, but I did my best to put meeples into map (especially fields) and that way I won.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »
Yes, very tense and strategic game! I lost it for the same reason, as jungleboy described before: I haven't noticed growing tower, which was coming after my farmer (I could cap that tower safely). Once again, this expansion requires maximum concentration (or, change of the interface, for example, ring the alarm when opponent is placing the tower piece).
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 12:23:09 PM »
When Jéré published a list of the games with the highest combined ELO rating one year ago, 2696 was the top value.

This game between Merlin_89 (pre-game ELO: 1411) and MrNumbers (1356) is not only higher rated (2767) than that previous record, but I assume it may have been the highest rated game ever in a CarcC tournament.
Jéré, can you confirm that?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:44:37 PM by Leven »

Offline Merlin_89

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 11:43:55 PM »
I had my 2nd...

129 Merlin_89 - Chooselife 83

Every game with tower is different. Chooselife constantly used every opportunity to shoot at my meeples, he wanted me off the map... on the other hand I had difficulties to use any of my ammo because he constantly chose small and quick features to score. In the middle point of the game he was left with 2 tower pieces and I had plenty of them. At this point I could play more freely.

I complain about my "hunting" results but I had one lucky moment when I took prisoner from Chooselife big nearly completed city, and in another turn I got just the right tile to finish it. That random moment changed the game.

PS @Leven I'm thrilled that unconsiously I could be part of CarcassonneCentral history! :D It is a pleasure to play against MrNumbers at any time.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:50:05 PM by Merlin_89 »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 11:46:04 PM »
The x-score list - T-League - Group A - 09 06 2016

Offline Merlin_89

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 11:36:58 PM »
118 Merlin_89 - Khalid 102

I love how the League allows me to understand deeper mechanics of another expansion.

This match looked a lot like tennis game, one player serves, another returns. I constantly put meeples to the map, and khalid was sending them away. And in circles... Different styles of playing were clearly visible.

I think, that khalid got majority of tower tiles, and he used them to his advantage, he had on average 3 yellow prisoners. He was focused on offence, but he scored big as well... he managed to score biggest of completed cities on the map. I tried to keep advantage on farms, and it's not easy with the Tower. I tried to constantly have there spare meeple which quaranteed control... but in the end (last 15 tiles) khalid was close to score on biggest farm... he would win. It didn't last long, I got tower piece and he was gone, 21 points in stake for him...

Khalid's last plan was sneakiest of all, he quietly started biulding tower to knock my farmer with last move of the game. 21 points in stake. You can counter it, but you know how easilly that can be missed (especially when you feel like a winner). I was already looking for best scoring position for my last meeple and tile of the game... when I saw that, I gasped, because it'd be a costly mistake...

Good game Khalid... and thanks to Dan! I keep loosing warm-up games to him (this time base), but I'm much more focused after that! :D

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 01:39:48 AM »
The x-score list - T-League - Group A - 12 06 2016

Offline Merlin_89

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 01:45:54 AM »
Hey, you know group B finished all their games? And we haven't crossed one page in our topic! :P

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 11:03:17 AM »
Slackers. You would think everyone was watching football or something.

Come on England!!!!!!
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 12:33:21 PM »
Slackers. You would think everyone was watching football or something.

I'm not. :P

Come on England!!!!!!

Down with this sort of thing.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 03:55:56 AM »
The T-League Tournament runs since the 1st of June - today is the 18th of June:
In group A there have been played only 3 games till now. The last game was at the 10th of June.
All participants are from Europe- so there is not much time difference.
Can you please explain why there are no more played games in this group?

Participants of this A-group in the T-League are:
- Merlin_89 :       played 3 of 4 games
- Chooselife:       played 1 of 4 games
- MrNumbers :    played 1 of 4 games
- khalidqasrawi : played 1 of 4 games
- Decar :             played 0 of 4 games
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:59:22 AM by kettlefish »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
What if a player draws a tower tile but they don't have any more tower floors?

Started by carca82

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2022, 01:12:49 AM
by Bumsakalaka
clip
Meeple Tile Tower - a small contest

Started by kettlefish

16 Replies
Last post August 22, 2015, 12:55:53 PM
by Paul
xx
Tower and Phantom