Author Topic: 2017 Basegame League - Round 6  (Read 7493 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
2017 Basegame League - Round 6
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:31:07 AM »
ROUND 6

Start date: Now! (31st March 2017)
End date: 16th April 2017 - any matches not played by the end of this date will be forfeited... :( :(n)
(parent thread)

Match 41: Rich_The_Fish vs. Jéré (2 - 0 to Jéré)
Match 42: khalidqasrawi vs. marcos (forfeited - marcos has been withdrawn from the tournament)
Match 43: Hounk vs. TheSteveAllen (2 - 0 to Hounk)
Match 44: Halfling vs. Rosco (2 - 0 to Halfling)
Match 45: Chooselife vs. Leven (2 - 0 to Leven)
Match 46: Merlin_89 vs. glh510 (tie)
Match 47: MrNumbers vs. Adrornalin (2 - 0 to MrNumbers)
Match 48: What If? vs. danisthirty (2 - 0 to danisthirty)

Please use this thread to post scores, screenshots and post-match reports. Good luck everyone!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3232.0
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:17:39 AM by danisthirty »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: 2017 Basegame League - Round 6
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 01:42:27 PM »
First pair of games in Round 6, and I'm back in the game!
MrNumbers vs. Adrornalin
97:73
89:72

In the first game I was trying to trap every opponent's meeple, and I succeeded in some cases: 2 meeples were trapped till the end of the game, 2 other - for a half of the game. I was able to win the farm, which pretty much sealed the deal.
In the second game Adrornalin started to play more aggressively, put a farmer right from the start and trapped some of my meeples. But at one point he made some surprisingly silly mistakes, like taking the cloister, which was already trapped in the placement moment, and when he realized he spent his last meeple, it was already too late: again I won the farm and the whole series.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:54:23 AM by MrNumbers »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
  • Merit: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 02:23:04 PM »
These were two completely different games. First game I had to avoid being trapped in a lot of turns. Nearly every situation I could manage to solve but I needed some specific tiles, which none of them were drawn by me throughout the game, except one of the very last tiles, when it was already too late. So I didnt expect to win most of the game. Second game started well because I felt I was always one step in front with decision-making. There were many options for me to score and to place farmers, but somehow I always shifted the right decision to the next turn and to the next.. additionally some distraction by yucata, and the properly called surprisingly silly mistakes were made ;D and second game suddenly was lost :-\ I'm getting dropped down in the league table - damnit! Congrats to MrNumbers!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »
Game#1 (Starting player: Jéré)

:yellow-meeple: Jéré 96
 :blue-meeple: Rich 76

Tough game, closer than the score suggests. I think I did a good job trapping Rich's guys but while doing that, I wasn't scoring much so I was behind most of the game. Then I managed to catch up and finally won the biggest field with my last tile.

Game#2 (Starting player: Rich)

:black1-meeple: Rich 46
 :yellow-meeple: Jéré 83

Not a good game for Rich. He didn't play bad, it's just that I was succesful with closing a large city, then I played agressively in the fields and he never recovered.

Thanks for the games Rich and good luck for the rest of the league, and as we discussed in the chat, practice counting the tiles! It can be also fun!

Offline glh510

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 01:53:19 PM »
Merlin_89 vs GLH510: 102:111
GLH510 vs Merlin_89: 97:112

First Game. I was warned by the results from the former rounds. So i started very defensively. I placed a farmer early as it was looking good for this farm. Merlin place a good counter farmer behind a hole fitting a cloister with a street. I got this easy 9 points so Merlin joined the farm. With 2 cloisters i joined another farmer but Merlin kept the pace (and opened another farm, i had to keep small :-) )
Then he blocked one of my meeples and build up a 4 tile City. So I focused on the 3rd farm as the first was a 3:3 tie. Merlin tried to join this too, but missed the tile. So I got the 12 points and the victory.

Second game: I was always behind. This time merlin started the farm. I missed to join a crap city with lots of pennants. Then i miscounted the straight roads so he could join my lovley 15 points farm. At the end I had 3 meeple and merlin 0 but i missed to score more points or join the farm again. So the game went away.

Nice games. Lets see what happens this round on the scoreboard.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 02:08:53 PM by glh510 »

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 12:47:32 PM »
:yellow-meeple: Chooselife (starting player) vs :violet-meeple: Leven 107:113

Great comeback from Chooselife, in the end I needed a lucky last tile to win this one.

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 02:01:35 PM »
The second game, this time with me as starting player:

:violet-meeple: Leven vs :yellow-meeple: Chooselife 104:94

Another exciting game, this time I did not lose the battle for the main farm which was quite important (particularly because Chooselife could win majority in a valuable city).
Chooselife scored 38 points by roads, I think that's quite remarkable in a basegame only game.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 07:00:20 AM »
Yo dudes.

Since I'm on holiday at the moment and don't have access to what I need to start round 7, and because TheSteveAllen and Hounk and struggling to get their game played in time, I'm going to extend the finish of this round until the end of the week.

I'm due to play What If? this evening, which should be interesting provided the wifi holds out where I'm staying! :-\

Any news on either of the other games? I've seen messages from khalid reaching out to Marcos but nothing coming back the other way so I'm going to assume that Marcos has silently dropped out unless I hear anything from him before the end of the week. Halfling/ Rosco - anything to report?

Cheers,
Dan

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 07:10:48 AM »
I've seen messages from khalid reaching out to Marcos but nothing coming back the other way so I'm going to assume that Marcos has silently dropped out unless I hear anything from him before the end of the week.
In that case I suppose all of his previous results should be discarded. (In terms of the league at least. But these games can still count in Elo rating calculation.)

BTW, have a pleasant holiday, Dan!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 07:19:01 AM »
Yes. His results would be discarded and future matches against him would become "sitting out" rounds.

Thanks Leven! It's nice to get away from work but have a poorly son to look after at the moment... :(

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 02:55:12 PM »
Today got off to a good start when I beat my wife at Quadropolis for the first time. Then I beat my daughter (just) at Geistes Blitz, although she later beat me on the obstacle course at the playground. So anyway, I was looking forward to my match with What If? as I hoped I was on a winning streak!

And so, after two quite quick games, the result of my match with WhatIf? was 2 - 0 to me! :D

Both were great games with lots of risks being taken on both sides. Sometimes they paid off, sometimes they didn't. But other that this I think we were pretty evenly matched in terms of how much luck we both had and the mix of tiles we drew.

I started the first game and after we'd both scored a few small cities and short roads things started to get serious! What If? was the first to claim the main farm but I struck back with 2 farmers of my own, and later added third and fourth farmers to it to ensure I kept all of these points after What If? joined a second and threatened to join a third.

The other action came by way of two bigish cities. In both cases, What If? had meeples trapped in adjacent cities for just a handful of points between them (sorry :(). The larger of the two cities was tied with two meeples each, the other was just mine so I extended this when I could while leaving the other one as safe as possible.

In the end, I had put What If? in a very tough position as he didn't have enough meeples to carry on with. He did better than me at conserving his meeples though, and while I placed my last meeple as a farmer with about 16 tiles to go, there was a chance he could have outscored me with his one remaining meeple. On this occasion however it wasn't to be, and my enthusiasm to go for the main farm paid off!

What If? started the second game and overall it felt very similar to the first in terms of what we fought over. A lot of the cccx tiles came out very early in this game so a big city formed quite early which we both had an equal share in. I managed to get a second knight into it and then continued to build as defensively as possible to keep What If? from getting a second knight of his own into it. Ultimately I was successful in this endeavour, but What If? did make the most of a good opportunity to kill it even though this meant trapping one monk each in the process. Effectively this meant that I'd lost 3 meeples and he'd lost 2; the monks were worth about the same as each other but my 2 knights were worth good points for the city as long as I could keep control of it, so this would be a priority for me for the rest of the game.

The other city was a bit of an afterthought and neither of us really gave it a lot of attention. What If? had a couple of opportunites to take it over with his second knight, but before he'd been able to make any of them work I'd been able to kill his opportunity to take it and trap his meeple there in the process.

There were two farms of interest, but both of them were shared and both of us failed to take either farm outright! I was 10 points behind as we came towards the last couple of tiles and we were tied on both farms and one bigish city. Fortunately I'd been able to hang on to my big city and had managed to grow it to be worth 19 points before the end of the game. This, along with a couple of other little things, swung the final scores 10 points in my favour and got me my second win of the evening.

Thanks for two great game What If? and good luck with the rest of the competition... :) :(y)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 03:47:51 PM »
Match 43: Hounk vs. TheSteveAllen 2:0

First game with Steve as the starting player, I was fairly confident, once I got my second farmer on the main farm, as we both had a few trapped meeples and not much more of a farm battle was to be expected. I got quite some favourable tiles to get to this lead. Second game was much tighter, and could have end either way.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »
Halfling and I are in communication however we have a problem in that his computer is dead and we are struggling for a mutually convenient time to play on android.  Halfling has offered to forfeit but I would really rather avoid that as I am sure he would as well.  Please be patient with us.  My shifts at the moment seem to completely clash with his.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 12:05:05 AM »
I have the laptop back and have just reinstalled JCZ, so that is good for the tournament.  As it's Easter Sunday we're out for a meal with family, so I am only free until about 11(ish) this morning.

I'll be introduced to the backstabbing delights of Munchkin this afternoon.....and I thought blocking tiles in Carcassonne was evil....!?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »
Thanks for the games Rosco. Good to finally get them played.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2017 Basegame League - Round 5

Started by danisthirty

21 Replies
Last post March 31, 2017, 04:18:46 AM
by danisthirty
xx
2017 Basegame League - Round 10

Started by danisthirty

33 Replies
Last post June 14, 2017, 07:11:38 AM