Poll

Which versions of the Heretics and Shrines do you own or want to own?

I own all three versions.
19 (30.2%)
I own one or two versions, but I think you need all three for a complete collection.
6 (9.5%)
I own one 5-tile version and one 6-tile version, and I think that's enough for my complete collection.
14 (22.2%)
I own one version, and I think that's enough for my collection.
22 (34.9%)
I don't own any versions of this expansion.
1 (1.6%)
Other (please explain below).
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Completionism Poll #4: Heretics and Shrines (Cult)  (Read 11325 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Completionism Poll #4: Heretics and Shrines (Cult)
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:12:15 AM »
The Completionism Poll is a weekly series where we ask how much of a completionist you are by breaking the game down into different expansions and elements. This week we look at Heretics and Shrines (also known as Cult), which has three different versions.

Cult was released as part of King, Count and Robber, with 5 tiles and the crown watermark. It was later released by Spielbox with the same 5 tiles in the same configurations, but with the Spielbox watermark.

Later still it was released by Rio Grande Games, but this time including 6 tiles, as part of Cult, Siege and Creativity with no watermark. The extra tile is a CRFR tile (i.e. the start tile, with a shrine).

So, how many versions of this expansion do you have? Does the difference in watermark between the King version and the Spielbox version matter to you? What is the definitive version of the expansion?

Vote in the poll and discuss your thoughts in this thread.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2405.0

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
Re: Completionism Poll #4: Heretics and Shrines (Cult)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:28:08 AM »
I own the Cult, Siege and Creativity 6 tile version.
Being the most complete version I do consider it as the one to have on my collection.

I'm not a watermark "must haver" :P and I base my completionism of collection in having all tile arrangements & rules combinations possible so I'm not version/publisher/edition dependant.  ;D
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:26:54 AM »
I have the King, Count and Robber version and the Cult, Siege and Creativity version, so I voted that one 5-tile version and one 6-tile version is enough for me.

But it's probably a bit more complicated than that, and shows how silly my completionism is. My first version of this expansion was from King, Count and Robber. Then a little over a year ago I saw that Cult, Siege and Creativity was available. I wanted this only for Siege, even though I already had Cathars and Besiegers. I saw Siege as necessary but didn't see the 6-tile version of Cult as necessary at all, I just saw it as an annoying duplicate at the time. I'm not even sure I knew there was an extra tile. In any case, I obtained this version purely because it was attached to Siege. Yet why I saw Siege as a version I needed to get but didn't see the RGG Cult as a version I needed to get is anyone's guess.

Because most mini expansions are 4/6/8 tiles rather than 5, I would vote for the RGG 6-tile version as the definitive version. The lack of a watermark might make this an unpopular choice (thinking of whaleyland here), but as I said in the River discussion, the lack of a watermark doesn't bother me if the tiles themselves are very distinctive for separation purposes, and these obviously are with the shrines on them. So in the end I'm probably glad I have the 6-tile version even though I didn't care for it at the time that I got it!

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 04:49:20 AM »
This is the poll I've been looking forward to!

I have the Cult, Siege and Creativity version, and the King watermarked version. I consider that to be enough as in my opinion, the Spielbox version was the same expansion re-released. Not that I would mind owning the Spielbox expansion, but I don't consider it necessary.

However, I have always wondered about whether the five and six tile versions should be considered re-releases, one simply having an extra tile, given that the other tile configurations are identical. I am interested to learn the general consensus. What would you use to play Mega-Carcassonne? Obviously you wouldn't play with the Count from the mini-expansion and from Count, King and Consorts, for example, so would you use the five and six tile versions of cult?
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 04:56:35 AM »
To be different - I own both the Spielbox and the King, Count & Robber variant... so two 5-tile versions.

Would I be interested to get the 6-tile version? - sure - but I won't lose sleep if I can't get it, nor will I sell a kidney to get it :)
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 05:22:32 AM »
One of my favourite expansions - it's worth having 3 versions just for larger games.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 04:09:12 AM »
Very interesting results so far with no clear consensus. It seems that there are a few different opinions here! Let's keep debating :)

What would you use to play Mega-Carcassonne? Obviously you wouldn't play with the Count from the mini-expansion and from Count, King and Consorts, for example, so would you use the five and six tile versions of cult?

Well I think the Count doesn't really lend itself well to multiple versions in the same game. But if you have a mega game with a lot of cloisters and you want to throw in all 16 cult tiles ... why not?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 04:16:35 AM »
I think the FCFR tile might be my favourite tile. I'm glad it's in all 3 releases.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 04:20:49 AM »

I think the FCFR tile might be my favourite tile. I'm glad it's in all 3 releases.

Yeah I really like this one too. And I think I'm right in saying that this configuration with a regular cloister does not exist.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 04:32:24 AM »
The CAR says not.  Only Bazaar and CC2 come close. 

A re-print of the 6-tiles + besiegers would make a nice expansion; especially as they work together so well.

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 07:13:30 AM »

What would you use to play Mega-Carcassonne? Obviously you wouldn't play with the Count from the mini-expansion and from Count, King and Consorts, for example, so would you use the five and six tile versions of cult?

Well I think the Count doesn't really lend itself well to multiple versions in the same game. But if you have a mega game with a lot of cloisters and you want to throw in all 16 cult tiles ... why not?

This only issue I would have with that is that whilst Shrines can negate cloisters, they can also just be deployed with the same mechanic as a cloister, which means you could end up with way too many (cloisters or shrines) in a game, especially if you're playing with the Monasteries too! Unless you removed the base game cloisters like Monasteries suggests, but who wants to do that?

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 06:33:03 PM »
I have two of the 6 tile versions and have no need to own the watermarks. I like having the 12 tiles because we tend to play in larger groups.

Now if the watermark had a tile variation that was unique, I would be all over it. Can't help it.  :-\
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 10:36:09 AM »
I have two of the 6 tile versions and have no need to own the watermarks. I like having the 12 tiles because we tend to play in larger groups.

Now if the watermark had a tile variation that was unique, I would be all over it. Can't help it.  :-\

Yeah, I also value tile configuration much higher than watermarks, as I guess most of us (all of us?) do.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 11:23:39 AM »
I did, being rules-complete is definitely the goal, but it gets easier to find other bits and bobs.

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 03:12:55 AM »
I'm mostly about tile configurations, but I will admit a certain fondness for watermarks, partly for the ease of sorting, but I still like them on tiles which are easily sorted anyway. I bought a new copy of Inns and Cathedrals several years ago because my previous copy didn't have watermarks. I later did the same with the King landscape tiles, because those were a pain to sort without watermarks. That also got me the King and Robber Baron tiles with the crown watermark, but I DON'T use those, I use my original ones from King and Scout because those aren't landscape tiles so have no need for a watermark! I realise this is highly contradictory. The mis-printed hill tile from Hills and Sheep was a thorn in my side until I got the Big Box 5 (ha-zah!) because even though it was easily sorted (because it has a hill) it bothered me because it didn't match the other hill and sheep tiles! I have cult tiles with crown watermarks, no watermarks and now Spielbox watermarks too, despite saying earlier that they were the same and it didn't matter to me. Humph. My River tiles, I and II, had no watermarks but different backs (why??!!) so they could be sorted with some ease, and the watermarks were consistent in that they both had none. Fine. However, now I have the River III, which is watermarked! So should I get the River II with the crown watermark? But that makes no sense because it's a river and the watermarks wouldn't match the others! BAH!

I don't really know where I stand on watermarks. I tell myself they're just for sorting then get annoyed when they're wrong.

That's not true. I know where I stand, I'm just not happy about it.

Which makes the Games Quarterly expansion my white whale.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:28:40 AM by Christopher »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Abbots, Monks, Heretics, Bishops and... Abbots.

Started by Christopher

2 Replies
Last post March 23, 2016, 09:48:18 AM
by Christopher
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule

Started by Decar

33 Replies
Last post September 21, 2023, 06:39:35 AM
by Meles
xx
Cloisters and Shrines