Author Topic: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)  (Read 275500 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)
« Reply #435 on: April 13, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »
:(

Danispostman is always happy to help should the need arise...

Thanks Dan. I'm going to scale back on new game purchases soon anyway, plus my UK trips aren't as frequent as they once were. But I'll keep you in mind :)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #436 on: April 13, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
What have they done with the real jungleboy!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #437 on: April 13, 2017, 02:12:31 PM »
What have they done with the real jungleboy!

Hahaha. Since I don't have regular income anymore, and since I have a shelf without secret compartments, and since I have a lot of games I've only played once or twice or not at all, it might be time to focus on playing the games I have rather than being suckered into more Kickstarters by you guys.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #438 on: April 13, 2017, 02:25:36 PM »
You're just avoiding answering the question with your sensibilities and rationale!

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 13, 2017, 03:47:48 PM »

I have a lot of games I've only played once or twice or not at all, it might be time to focus on playing the games I have rather than being suckered into more Kickstarters by you guys.

This came up in another forum I am on.  One guy had dozens of opened, but never played games. Why open a game if you aren't going to play it?  Apparently he likes the smell of a new game and enjoys punching out the cardboard.  I have 5 games in shrink.  One, Liar's Dice, I have had for over a decade.  No idea why we have never played it.  The only Kickstarter game we haven't tried yet is Scuttle.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #440 on: April 14, 2017, 06:33:17 AM »
Well: If they were kickstarters from Queen Games, for example, you have to open the boxes just to check everything is inside it!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #441 on: April 14, 2017, 07:09:56 AM »
This came up in another forum I am on.  One guy had dozens of opened, but never played games. Why open a game if you aren't going to play it?  Apparently he likes the smell of a new game and enjoys punching out the cardboard. 

This kind of thing comes up on BGG a bit too. I think many board gamers (including me) see 'collecting' as part of the hobby for them. The difference between collecting board games and collecting stamps is that you can actually play board games. But I still love to open a new game, see the components, get a grip on the rules etc, even if I don't know when my first play will be. I bought a bunch of games before moving to Portugal so some of those are still in shrink wrap, but other than that I'll pretty much always open a new game straight away. It's part of the excitement of buying it! 

Offline Amorpheus

• Authors
  • Duke
  • Merit: 4
  • Hoping this registration sticks :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 14, 2017, 11:18:42 AM »
Well: If they were kickstarters from Queen Games, for example, you have to open the boxes just to check everything is inside it!
Really? I hadn't noticed any problems for the two Kickstarters I have done with them (Fresco Big Box and Alhambra Big Box). Maybe I need to recount...

I just backed a game called Grimm Forest that is in its last few hours (overly funded with almost all stretch goals unlocked). Great artwork and miniatures with a fun worker placement and resource management approach (similar in a way to Stone Age to me).
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/druidcitygames/the-grimm-forest

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #443 on: April 14, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »
I crumbled and backed it too...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #444 on: April 15, 2017, 04:58:04 AM »
Really? I hadn't noticed any problems for the two Kickstarters I have done with them (Fresco Big Box and Alhambra Big Box). Maybe I need to recount...

Not related to components, but my one Queen experience on Kickstarter has shown me to never back anything from them again. It was the Escape Big Box (2nd ed), which funded last May (11 months ago). It cost US$80, plus $20 for shipping, and was scheduled to ship in December, which already seemed like a long time since it wasn't a new game, essentially a reprint with a couple of small things thrown in. Then at Essen I saw that I could have bought the first ed for half the price. That was six months ago and I still don't have the KS version yet.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #445 on: April 15, 2017, 05:06:26 AM »
...and when it does arrive a component will be missing.

The recent Kingdom Builder was much the same. A lot of people are mssing an entire player's settlements and a random assortment of people didn't receive the Island expansion (queenie 3?)

Offline Amorpheus

• Authors
  • Duke
  • Merit: 4
  • Hoping this registration sticks :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 15, 2017, 05:39:50 AM »
Good to know. My backing of Queen Games Kickstarters will end where it started.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 17, 2017, 01:25:53 AM »
I have a lot of games I've only played once or twice or not at all, it might be time to focus on playing the games I have rather than being suckered into more Kickstarters by you guys.

Nowadays and with the KS phenomena the Unwrapped Game Syndrome is on the rise. Although I'm a bit late into the non-Carcassone game hoarding I'm also trying, not to scale down per se, but to rationalize my acquisitions.
I love to unwrap games so the only game in my possession that is still on the envelope  it's a Jungleboy one, but the reality is that most of the games in my collection have not been "properly" played yet.
Although I buy the games with the future perspective of playing them with the kids there is still a lot of waiting to do for the more complex ones to be properly played so although I'm not stopping my KS daily roaming I'm focussing on reducing the shelf to table hiatus.

And that's why I'm not backing Gloomhaven, does it look great? Sure! But I know that until I'm able to properly play the first scenario it will take at least 5years and it that meantime I can allocate its cost to buy 3 or 4 games that can go directly from shelf to table.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #448 on: April 17, 2017, 11:26:50 AM »
The campaign for Brass began today, by Roxley Games (publishers of Santorini). They have smashed their target already and have made over $200,000 Canadian dollars in just a few hours. It's about the Industrial Revolution which doesn't interest me much, plus it's expensive, so I won't back it, but it's a very impressive opening day.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 17, 2017, 04:43:28 PM »
The campaign for Brass began today, by Roxley Games (publishers of Santorini). They have smashed their target already and have made over $200,000 Canadian dollars in just a few hours. It's about the Industrial Revolution which doesn't interest me much, plus it's expensive, so I won't back it, but it's a very impressive opening day.

It's great to see our local boys do well! I'm happy to support their cause for a great game. Though I have local shipping advantage, I thought the price for both games and most of the overseas (EU) shipping was reasonable, (€5 for the bundle)! Saying that, it is still a chunk of change at one time!
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Keep track of your Carcassonne collection in your forum profile

Started by Scott

18 Replies
Last post April 27, 2022, 03:31:35 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Watch It Played - Carcassonne

Started by Decar

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 08:31:36 AM