Author Topic: tsuro of the seas  (Read 9872 times)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
tsuro of the seas
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:27:57 PM »
Has anyone played Tsuro of the Seas? I just got mine and have played a 3 and a 4 player game. I enjoy it and was wondering how others feel about this game.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2387.0
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Andrew the Ambo

• Count
  • Merit: 26
    • View Profile
Re: tsuro of the seas
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 02:37:22 AM »
I have played it and enjoyed it.

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 03:13:35 AM »
I own only Tsuro... But I'd buy Tsuro of the Seas should this copy ever get worn out (pretty close now actually)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 03:24:27 AM »
It's on my interest list but too expensive. Tsuro of the Seas also has a small expansion.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 06:24:07 AM »
I own the original Tsuro and love it as a quick warm up game or something to fill a little bit of time. Very easy to teach the rules and scales well between the number of players.

I'm interested in Tsuro of the seas but I haven't played a game before. I'm not sure if it's different enough to warrant me owning bother versions…I need to give it a try at some point!

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
  • No, *you* haven't updated your profile yet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 07:30:28 AM »
We enjoy tsuro of the seas in our group. It's good for introducing new people to gaming, it's quick, simple & light. The game doesn't add a whole deal onto standard tsuro, but there's nothing stopping you excluding the dragons and playing with the original rules. I'd say we play with the dragons around 50%; we have a copy of the expansion, but not yet had a chance to try it out.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 12:12:18 PM »
I saw that there was an expansion which allows you to defend your ship against dragons but also introduces a whirlpool.  Only 8 extra tiles for £8.99.  I picked up this game from ebay for £26.00.  Immaculate as only played once by previous owner.

I agree it is quick and simple and has a huge slice of luck involved.  I find it an enjoyable family game that we can play whilst chinwagging and it doesn't need too much concentration.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 12:49:59 PM »
I own the original Tsuro and love it as a quick warm up game or something to fill a little bit of time. Very easy to teach the rules and scales well between the number of players.

I'm interested in Tsuro of the seas but I haven't played a game before. I'm not sure if it's different enough to warrant me owning bother versions…I need to give it a try at some point!

I hadn't heard of this game until this thread and having just watched Dice Tower reviews of both, I think I prefer the original. It looks very simple but the art is nice and the Daikaiju in Tsuro of the Seas just seem clunky and non-intuitive and they mess up the board art. The original looks super quick and easy to play and while I don't usually favour elimination games, I don't think it's much of an issue here as the game will be over quickly anyway.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 11:15:57 PM »
I've not played the original, but I am planning to watch the Tabletop episodes for each version this weekend.

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
  • No, *you* haven't updated your profile yet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 03:46:34 AM »

I hadn't heard of this game until this thread and having just watched Dice Tower reviews of both, I think I prefer the original. It looks very simple but the art is nice and the Daikaiju in Tsuro of the Seas just seem clunky and non-intuitive and they mess up the board art. The original looks super quick and easy to play and while I don't usually favour elimination games, I don't think it's much of an issue here as the game will be over quickly anyway.

Very good point about the art - the sea version is certainly a step down. We tried to come up with a variant whereby you exclude the dragons, but could move one unoccupied tile into an adjacent empty space. It ads a bit of depth without disrupting the art and focuses on tactics over the randomness of the dice roll.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 04:59:02 AM »
Tsuro is now available as an app for iOS on the Apple App Store. BGG video review:

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 02:41:42 AM »

Having just played both versions for the first time, I think it is different enough to warrant owning both versions. Tsuro is a great little warm-up game or a game for non-gamers, and then Tsuro of the Seas is really one step up. So I think Tsuro is ideal as the first game of a session, followed by Tsuro of the Seas, then moving on to something else.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 02:46:34 AM »
I'm not sure on the tile distribution, but if you take the monsters out of Tsuro of the sea, you've essentially got Tsuro, so no need for both versions; unless you like the artwork.  The stones were nicer than the ships in my opinion.

I quite enjoyed playing this at the weekend, it was quick and lighthearted and the dice rolling and moving monsters made me feel like I was bobbing in a tsunami!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 03:31:44 AM »
I'm not sure on the tile distribution, but if you take the monsters out of Tsuro of the sea, you've essentially got Tsuro, so no need for both versions; unless you like the artwork.  The stones were nicer than the ships in my opinion.

Right. If you've got Tsuro of the Seas, you can make regular Tsuro out of it - but not the other way around. I also liked the stones of Tsuro more than the ships, and the colours/artwork in general of Tsuro more.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 03:55:30 AM »
I really like abstract games - so the first appeals more.  But having the choice of crazy extra rules seemed to give the Sea the edge for me.  It was hard to tell which had the better artwork given the condition of the boxes; both had been very well played.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Tsuro ("The Way of the Path")

Started by danisthirty

12 Replies
Last post June 15, 2017, 10:28:11 AM
by ooh_jim
xx
Spinoff HeadtoHead #5 - South Seas vs New World / Mayflower

Started by Halfling

8 Replies
Last post June 12, 2016, 02:55:35 PM