Author Topic: WTB: ISO Big box and mini expansions  (Read 4616 times)

Offline CovertOps

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
WTB: ISO Big box and mini expansions
« on: August 09, 2016, 05:36:49 PM »
New to the game but not the hobby.. We love tile laying games and are ready to dive head first into carc. Would like big box #1 but open to others. We mainly play with two.  Also want some smaller expansions to go with it. Prefer the old art.

p.s I'm in the US

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2866.0
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:40:54 PM by MrNumbers, Reason: Added tag »

Offline karkids

• Vassal
  • Merit: 5
  • Buy me tiles. LOTS of tiles.
    • View Profile
Re: WTB: ISO Big box and mini expansions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:51:23 PM »
If you want some good mini´s you can look on cundco´s site where they sell all the expansions in old and new art. It will be harder to track down the official mini´s 1 to 6, but I got a set of them yesterday at a store in the Czech republic. You can order from them here  http://www.hras.cz/kamenny-obchod/ . Cundco sells their stuff here:  http://cundco.de/ I don´t have a big box, only individual expansions, which I like better because then I don´t have to store it all in a large box, and accidently buy repeats of expansions I already have. If you like small game changers, I would get the Count King and Robber, as it comes with the Count of Carcassonne, the river II, shrines and Heretics, and also the King and robber mini expansions. This was the first expansion I got. Otherwise start with the inns and cathedrals expansion and work from there. Hope I could help, even if I couldn´t sell you anything.  :red-meeple:
I don´t trust you with putting back my tiles. You might put them back upside down...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 06:26:36 AM »
Hi CovertOps, welcome to the forums. :(y)

I think you might struggle to get hold of an original Carcassonne Big Box nowadays as it was released 10 years ago. However, the base game and the expansions included within BB1 shouldn’t be so difficult to get hold of, depending of course on whether you’re happy to play with the new artwork edition or stick to the old. BB1 included the base game (72 tiles), Inns & Cathedrals (18 tiles), Traders & Builders (24 tiles), Princess & Dragon (30 tiles) and The Tower (18 tiles). Apparently the English version also included The River (12 tiles).

The main disadvantage of going with the new artwork is that The Tower isn’t yet available, but hopefully it soon will be. This will generally be a lot easier to find and consequently cheaper. I should probably also point out (before someone else does) that the other disadvantage is the artwork itself, but this is a matter of opinion and personally I’m not fussed either way.

The disadvantage of purchasing everything in the old artwork is that even though they were commonly available a year or so ago, old artwork expansions are now somewhat tricky to get hold of for a fair price. You can usually find them on eBay though, especially if you check German eBay (eBay.de).

If you’re also interested in the 6 (7 if you include all the bonus tile that make up Corn Circles 2) mini expansions that were released in 2012, Big Box 4 may be a better choice for you as all of these are included in it along with the basic game and the first 2 major expansions (Inns & Cathedrals + Traders & Builders). If you could get this then you’d just need Princess & Dragon and The Tower.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck tracking everything down!

Offline CovertOps

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 11:46:27 AM »
We prefer the old art.  There are a few big boxes on ebay for around $100. Which is the best one to get especially for two players?  Also what are some "must have mini expansions"?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 02:36:44 PM »
Those are the golden questions, and the answer is: it depends. A lot of what I like about Carcassonne is the variety of expansions that are available. Some are certainly better than others, but in order to discover which ones are for you (and which aren't) you need to play them!

Personally, I like all of the first five big expansions: Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders, Princess & Dragon, The Tower, Abbey & Mayor. Hills & Sheep is quite popular too, but I've not played it much.

Of the mini expansions I like The Fliers, Mage & Witch and Goldmines. Ferrys is also quite popular, but fans of The Messengers and The Robbers are slightly harder to find.

There are lots of others that you can find on cundco.de; things like Halflings, German Monasteries and Besiegers have been popular with a lot of people here.

My best advice would be to treat your Carcassonne collecting/ playing as an ongoing thing rather than trying to get everything at once and go from there. Get a few of the basics, play a few games with them and discover what elements of the gameplay you like most. Then look to pursue those by getting other carefully chosen expansions either by consulting here or reading around elsewhere. That's where the fun of it lies for a lot of people!

Good luck! :) :(y)

Offline CovertOps

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 05:27:45 PM »
Which big box is worth the most if you priced it out individually? It looks like Princes and Wheel of fortune go for quite a bit on their own.  I have the option to pretty much get any one of the 5 big boxes.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 12:52:05 AM »
I'm afraid I don't think anyone else on the forum is qualified to answer your questions.

The best value for money is to play with JCloisterZone - it's essentially free and is only missing a few tiles.

We're not able to justify cost for you, because we don't know you or any of your preferences.  I think you have to do this for yourself taking the advice that Danisthirty and karkids have provided you.

BigBox 5 is likely most available.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 12:54:29 PM »
Wheel of Fortune is likely the hardest to find of all the Big Box elements.  So if you are likely to try to get all versions/expansions of the old art then this may mean going for that Big Box.

The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline CovertOps

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 08:19:22 PM »
I ended up with an extra big box 5 if anyone is interested.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
ISO Replacement Hunter & Gatherer Tiles

Started by Eminies

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 02:47:07 AM
by Fritz_Spinne
xx
Big Box 4 (Plus 2012) VS Big Box 5 (Plus 2014) what is the best?

Started by caincarcassonne

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2015, 11:57:22 PM
by SRBO
xx
Big Box 5 - A New Big Box in the Netherlands

Started by SRBO

153 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 10:31:45 PM
by Paul
xx
Big Box 7: A brand new Big Box with an already long history?!

Started by Willem

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 11:49:15 AM
by Meepledrone
clip
Big Box 3, Expansions, and a free bigtop giveaway!

Started by chicago_red

0 Replies
Last post April 16, 2018, 09:39:10 AM
by chicago_red