Author Topic: Clarification of rules - Email with HiG - 05 05 2014  (Read 24333 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Clarification of rules - Email with HiG - 05 05 2014
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »
I've got some answers from HiG by email today.

Question in BLUE

Answer in GREEN

Still open in RED

My own comments in  MAROON

Scott and obervet gave me the questions.

When I have fnished my posting here I will post here the links to the original
threads where the questions first came up...

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=751.0
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:08:51 AM by kettlefish »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification of rules - Email with HiG - 05 05 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 09:28:44 AM »
questions from Scott:
-------------------------------
Question 1a - Hills

Example: a city has been completed in which red and blue each have three normal followers, which creates a tie.
If either red or blue had one of their followers on a hill, that player would win the tie.

correct
-----------------------------------
Question 1b - Hills

If both red and blue each had one follower on a hill, the tie would remain unbroken and each player receives equal points.

correct
------------------------------------
Question 1c - Hills

What if red has two followers on hills and blue has only one follower on a hill? Can the tie-breaking effect of hills be stacked?

We still discuss this situation... - no answer yet...

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:38:57 AM »
questions from Scott:
--------------------------
Question 2 - Ferry

In the ferry expansion, if the player does not place a thief on a road, must he still place the ferry? Or is the ferry placed when another player eventually deploys a follower to the road?

The player, who places the tile, also puts a ferry on the lake. It doesn't matter if a follower is placed on a road, or as a farmer or if no follower is placed on that tile.

The Ferries - Question
-----------------------------
Question 3 - Mage and Witch

In the Mage and Witch expansion, the rules state that when both figures are already deployed, one of them must be moved to a different tile. It is possible that the player will move the figure to a different tile of the same feature, but we suspect the intent behind the rules is that the figure be moved to a different feature.

Your suspicion is correct. It should have an effect, if mage or witch has been moved.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:58:46 PM by kettlefish »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »
obervet gave me 12 questions.

The questions 1-3 from obervet - all with the plague.

I decided not to send these questions to HiG, because I don't get any answer.

I will start with the question 4...

-------------------------------------------
4. Question - Wind Roses

When does the scoring of the 3 points for a Wind Rose occur? Is this before the Move Wood phase?

Yes, the (German) rules state clearly immediately and independent from any other scoring.
This scoring (3 points for the Wind Roses) takes place in the first part of the turn: draw and place a landscape tile, definitive before phase 2: move wood.

-------------------------------------------
5. Question - Wind Roses + Dispatches (Messages)

Since the 3 Wind Rose points seem to be scored apart from anything else, could this trigger the taking of a Dispatch tile (like the fairy 1 point)?

Yes. In that case the dispatch may interrupt your turn, so you might have to keep track and resume the turn where you left it. You don't loose a phase of your regular turn.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:37:12 AM by kettlefish »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:50:30 AM »
questions from obervet:
6. Question - Festival + Fairy

If a player uses the Festival to remove a follower, can he or she still move the fairy? By the spirit of the rules, it seems like the answer is "no" since the Festival ability effectively replaces the Move Wood phase. However, the rule for the fairy states that the fairy can be moved "when a player does not deploy a follower or (other figure)". Since a figure was not deployed, by the letter of the law this might be legal.

The "letter of law" is "moving wood". The festival allows to remove a pawn (figure) instead of placing one, so it becomes a new option under the headline "deploy a meeple".
That means the fairy can't move because the move wood phase is finished with the remove of a figure.

--------------------------------------
7. Question - Festival

The new version of the Festival tiles has changed the removal of figures to the removal of followers. Is this change true?

Yes, true.

I personally go with the HiG version of the rule: figure. This makes the Festival more specific. The "new" rule is from the CundCo Shop.
I've sent my reply to HiG... Some weeks ago Georg Wild (HiG) told me that he also prefers the original version of the rule which came out together with the jubilee edition.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:03:26 AM by kettlefish »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:50:33 AM »
questions from obervet:
8. Question - School

Are all of the roads on the school tiles separate from each other? Two of the roads (lower left and right middle) are illustrated as being continuous.

There are 6 separate roads, as usual a junction separates roads.

School questions
9. Question - La Porxada

For option 2 in La Porxada, is there any specification about when the knight had to be in the city to get credit? Any time, at completion, or at scoring?

We can't give any rule support, for an unofficial expansion.
But the rules state: "end of the game". We never care about meeple, that had been on the board 27 rounds ago... they're gone.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:09:53 PM by kettlefish »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 12:06:30 PM »
questions from obervet:
10. Question - Crop Circles I

In Crop Circles I, on the tile with the do the club crop circle and the T road junction, do the road segments end at the junction? Or is this treated as one road with 3 branches?

see school: as usual a junction separates roads.
11. Question - Catapult

In the Catapult expansion, there is a tile which has a monastery and a fair. On this tile, the yellow ground stretches to touch 2 of the edges of the tile. Obviously this feature divides the two field segments. What type of piece can be played to the edges where the yellow touches? Only field edges, or can a road end at the yellow ground?

Only a field can be placed at that edge.
----------------------------
12. Question - Robber

A robber is on the same space as counting followers from 2 other players. One of the followers scores points from robbing another player (rogue points). Is the robber required to move with this follower, or can he decide to stay beside the follower that does not move? (To me it seems like the robber must move, since the first bullet point of the Other Rules is applicable here, and there is no scoring choice to be made as in the third bullet point.)

Correct, the robber must "steal" from the first player that scores points.

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 05:57:17 AM »
Your suspicion is correct. It should have an effect, if mage or witch has been moved.
Moving from tile to tile, or from feature to feature, will have an impact on the game.

Does this answer really resolve the issue?  Seems kind of vague to me....
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 09:21:37 AM »
Georg Wild answered in English this time. I don't need to translate.

Sometimes when the "questions" are not clear enough, then we get not clear answers...  ;D

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 09:22:44 AM »
Moving from tile to tile, or from feature to feature, will have an impact on the game.

I think this does resolve the issue. HiG is stating that movement of the Mage or Witch should have an effect, i.e. should change something about the game state. If the Mage or Witch just moves to a different tile of the same feature, there is no real change. Thus, the requirement would be that the move has to be to a different feature.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 09:23:56 AM »

I think this does resolve the issue. HiG is stating that movement of the Mage or Witch should have an effect, i.e. should change something about the game state. If the Mage or Witch just moves to a different tile of the same feature, there is no real change. Thus, the requirement would be that the move has to be to a different feature.
YES

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 09:25:47 AM »
obervet,
I need some help:
I like to post some links from where the original questions come from, but I didn't found all...

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 05:33:02 PM »
I personally go with the HiG version of the rule: figure. This makes the Festival more specific. The "new" rule is from the CundCo Shop.
I've sent my reply to HiG... Some weeks ago Georg Wild (HiG) told me that he also prefers the original version of the rule which came out together with the jubilee edition.

I'm confused on this one kettlefish. Aren't these answers coming from HiG? But you are saying you personally go with the HiG version. It seems redundant.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 05:35:02 PM »
Question 1c - Hills

What if red has two followers on hills and blue has only one follower on a hill? Can the tie-breaking effect of hills be stacked?

We still discuss this situation... - no answer yet...

I wonder why they didn't answer this one? Was it posed along with the others and they just elected to ignore it?

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 09:55:50 PM »

I'm confused on this one kettlefish. Aren't these answers coming from HiG? But you are saying you personally go with the HiG version. It seems redundant.
obervet asked HiG if that is true that there are a new version of the festival - and that is true.
But this new version is from CundCo and not from HiG...

Perhaps both rules should be put into the CAR...

I can't talk about it again with Georg Wild... And I don't get an answer by email. Perhaps they HiG, CundCo, Klaus-Juergen Wrede, Christof Tisch will talk together first. Next week they are all together - the big meeting - all for the world of Carcassonne...  ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:57:48 PM by kettlefish »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Clarification of rules - by meeting with HiG - 04 10 2014

Started by kettlefish

27 Replies
Last post November 07, 2014, 11:26:39 AM
by obervet
xx
Clarification of rules (The Gifts - part 2) - with HiG - 05 04 2022

Started by Meepledrone

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2022, 04:04:27 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Clarification of rules (abbot, Spiel tiles, peasant revolts) - with HiG - 24 11 2020

Started by Meepledrone

23 Replies
Last post January 05, 2021, 11:01:36 AM
by DrMeeple
xx
Clarification of rules (ringmasters) - with HiG - 27 01 2021

Started by Meepledrone

36 Replies
Last post January 31, 2021, 11:56:24 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Clarification of rules (Sending meeple to Carcassonne) - with HiG - 29 01 2021