Author Topic: Tiny Epic Quest Meeples  (Read 3788 times)

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
Tiny Epic Quest Meeples
« on: October 24, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions - Meeplesource made the fork a little longer.  We canted to keep it inside the meeple's shape in case we ever wanted to make some wooden meeple.  That may need a serious round of fundraising though!

Speaking of which ... I saw this (see below) earlier today on BGG. Very awesome Meeps from the upcoming Tiny Epic Quest, (patent pending - on the accessories I guess). I understand the Kickstarter for this game is imminent.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3228946/tiny-epic-quest?size=large

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3228947/tiny-epic-quest?size=large

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2942.0
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Tiny Epic Quest Meeples
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »
At first I thought these were cool; but having considered it I don't want to support a product like this which has been patented.

If HiG had patented the meeple think how many boardgames wouldn't have meeple in them.

Gamelyn Games haven't requested use of the meeple from HiG either and consider their design superior and wish to prevent future development of the idea by applying a patent.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 04:13:35 PM »
At first I thought these were cool; but having considered it I don't want to support a product like this which has been patented.

If HiG had patented the meeple think how many boardgames wouldn't have meeple in them.

Gamelyn Games haven't requested use of the meeple from HiG either and consider their design superior and wish to prevent future development of the idea by applying a patent.

I fully agree. Though I'm interested in the game I'm not pleased with the direction they took with this design . Gamelyn's founder and the designer have been very responsive to the concerns, (I'll provide two links to discussion below), but think that the principle feature is still the meeple itself, (to be clear they are not trying to TM the Meeple just the accessories).

I had thought of starting a post here for discussion, or maybe its just beating a dead horse.

Anyway, again, I find the TM issue a bit sad!

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24060139#24060139

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3228946/tiny-epic-quest?commentid=6686051#comment6686051

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 04:43:39 PM »
I might split the topic in the morning. Unless someone beats me.

I only read that firet post but It's not a valid excuse to say the person filing the patent and his company is a nice person so that makes it ok.  When asmodee buys their tiny company they'll no longer own the patent another company will.

On an unrelated note: I used to work for a company that owed the patent for the blinking red light on your phone when you have a message waiting....they owned a second patent....which turned the light off once you read your message.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 07:24:57 AM »
Thanks Mr Numbers  :(y) :(y) :D

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 12:34:55 PM »
Tiny Epic Quest is on Kickstarter now. It funded ($15K) in 9 minutes and is already over $200K in just a few hours.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 01:34:02 PM »
Tiny Epic Quest is on Kickstarter now. It funded ($15K) in 9 minutes and is already over $200K in just a few hours.
I got Tiny Epic Galaxies as a prize a while back and, to be honest, I've played more interesting games. It just feels like a bit of a long slog – like the middle part of a game of Catan, where you reach that point where somebody just needs to win. Except the whole game feels like that. I liked it better than my partner (who said she won't play it again), but it definitely is on my "leave in New Zealand" list. Perhaps it is just the theme – we don't generally like space games – but the mechanics are what unify the series.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Tiny Graphic Bug in Screenshot feature

Started by Hounk

1 Replies
Last post March 20, 2018, 12:15:38 PM
by Decar
xx
Epic 'final' game of Carcassonne

Started by jungleboy

3 Replies
Last post January 02, 2017, 01:18:43 AM
by jungleboy
xx
EPIC: Castles (Exp. 8) and cemeteries (Exp. 11)

Started by NGC 54

13 Replies
Last post December 17, 2022, 08:49:26 AM
by NGC 54
xx
New wooden meeples in white and natural finally available on Cundco!!

Started by DrMeeple

14 Replies
Last post December 06, 2019, 01:11:07 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Star... meeples at Meeple Source.

Started by CKorfmann

9 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 11:03:01 AM
by harvster