Author Topic: Abbots & WoF  (Read 4119 times)

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
Abbots & WoF
« on: February 17, 2016, 10:54:19 AM »
During a conversation regarding a variant with the old Abbot system used in the German/Belgian/Dutch Monasteries expansions, someone mentioned that they would always score points from the WoF because of an Abbot placement.

When the Monk section is in play, would the Abbots count as monks? In one way, I would assume not since they aren't exactly monks and stay in that position on the board for the entire game.

For clarification, I'm talking about the old style rules only since Abbots in Carc 2 are removed either before or when you have completed a cloister, but in Carc 1 stay on the piece for the rest of the game (with a choice made on tile placement to decide if it will become a monk or abbot)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2457.0
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:02:54 AM by ARabidMeerkat »
If only I had another Halfling.....

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
Re: Abbots & WoF
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 04:42:52 PM »
Interesting point! I'm not sure. I've just had a quick trawl through the CAR and couldn't see anything. For my money, I would assume no, because the Monastries rules state that the follower is deployed to a monastery as a monk OR an abbot. These are not the same, and the Wheel of Fortune rules state 'one point for each monk,' emphasis on monk. Mayors and wagons score with taxes because they are deployed AS knights, whereas this follower is an abbot instead of a monk. Of course, the WoF rules were written long before abbots were conceived, so we would need an official ruling if there isn't one already.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 07:52:31 PM »
I looked up the rules and found "Each player earns 2 points for each monk he has on the table." (BTW: I'm quite surprised, that Christopher found a rule, that only gives 1 point.) As Christopher said: Abbots don't seem to be Monks, so no points for them. If the rule stated "each Cloister" also the Abbots would have been affected. However, this is no official clarification, only my interpretation of the rules. Still, the issue seems to be quite clear to me.
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 12:15:46 AM »
Sorry! Edit! Not one point, two. That's my single track mind, I was looking at the monk bit, the number was just white noise. To clarify, I have not found a version of the rules stating one point. Sorry Safari!

Offline Karcalijn

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I call purple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 02:09:06 AM »
Ah, but in that conversation i meant that its almost always better to lay your follower as an abbot instead of a regular monk because of the total points it delivers. A monk is 9, an abbot how many tiles there are in horizontal and vertical position. Because of the wheel, wich we count as 4 tiles, you almost always inmidiatly find a place for your monasterie that delivers more than 9 points. So its almost always better to use it as an abbot.

But i'm curious if you guys see this rule in the same way.

In case of the wheel scoring points for monks when the pig lands on that option, the abbot doesnt get any points in my opinion. After all, he is an abbot, not a monk.
This is the game, those are the rules and that is how it should be played!

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 04:54:33 AM »
I totally misunderstood your original post, but actually it bought about a new thread discussing this rule (since some people have meant the Monk to include abbots). I would say that the WoF does count as a tile, but how many exactly? You say for, but wouldn't a complete single tole count only as one?  This makes for yet another thread and tangent!

Offline Karcalijn

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I call purple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 05:18:46 AM »
Yes, indeed it does! And i can see the confusion about the WoF  ;)

I'm curious to see what other people think of the number of tiles that the wheel counts for. And about the opinions in scoring monk/abbots to!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Extensive comparison of WOF tiles in the BB5, standalone WOF and the base game

Started by DavidY

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2015, 09:31:57 AM
by Frommarn91
xx
Abbots, Monks, Heretics, Bishops and... Abbots.

Started by Christopher

2 Replies
Last post March 23, 2016, 09:48:18 AM
by Christopher
xx
5 Player with WoF and Traders & Builders

Started by Carcking

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 08:27:58 AM
by Carcking
xx
WTB Purple & Grey Abbots