Author Topic: What was your first board game???  (Read 11558 times)

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
What was your first board game???
« on: April 06, 2015, 04:50:20 PM »
this is the first time I propose a thread¡¡¡ ;D
this thread made ​​me think of my childhood when I started playing with a friends , chess.
subsequently wanted to take one more step and learn in a chess school , that already happened 17 years .
currently I spend a great time playing carcassonne , although I do not discard try another .

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1666.0
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:52:39 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Removed all caps »
When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST BOARD GAME ???
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:51:06 AM »
In the UK there are just a few board games that most people know about. Monopoly is the main one that is in every shop and this is the first game that most people think of whenever anyone says "board games" to them. However, I've never enjoyed Monopoly and so wasn't into games at all unless in large groups where we could play "party games" like Cranium and Absolute Balderdash.

Although we'd played a few games, mostly card games such as Set and Monopoly Deal, my wife bought Carcassonne for me as a surprise birthday present a few years ago. This is what got us started really, and although I've tried to "move on" from Carcassonne I haven't yet discovered a game that appeals to me anywhere near as much as Carcassonne does.

So, although we now have a small collection of about 30 or so games, Carcassonne is the one that comes out far more often than anything else. As such, I don't know whether to call myself a board-gamer or a Carcassonne player, but I'm very happy to be called either!  :)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: What was your first board game???
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 01:54:28 AM »
I already wrote about my first experience with Monopoly :D Not much to add, only chess, checkers and some card games maybe (Durak and so on).
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline fastertove

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • My God, it's full of stars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 02:47:57 AM »
My first board games was probably matador(monopoly), ludo or chess.
The first 'modern' games I tried was (as I can recall) Hero Quest and Space Crusade - great games.
I usually played with my twin- and an older brother.
Later, we turned to Roborally, which is both fun, action packed and silly - a great combo!

Doomtrooper and Magic The Gathering aren't board games, but these were also played a lot during the 90's.

Now we mostly play Settlers(we don't trade), Torres, Bang or trivia-games.... And Carcassonne ofc. ;-).

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 02:50:36 AM by fastertove »

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 03:18:38 AM »
First board game was possibly Labyrinth in 1986.

But the first one that sparked my interest was Hero Quest and a bit later Axis & Allies.

Played also Magic The Gathering in the early years (1994-96) but when it became clear it was a huge money scam I sold all my cards.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 04:57:58 AM »
My first ever owned was probably DataFinans (Swedish). Sort of Monopoly but with stock options and a side on the board you are inside a bank. Maybe it's simply called Finance in English?. This was around 1984-1985. This game came with an electronic device, but can't recall what it did. Was missing as I bought it in a bazaar.

But chess was no doubt the game I played most because I did not have a lot of options back then.  :(y)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline bloggins

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 06:36:16 AM »
Whilst I played chess and various card games (black jack, pontoon, rummy, etc) when I was young, the first board game I remember with affection was Totopoly, mainly because of the fact that you got to bet and race the horses at the end. One of the best horses was Dark Warrior, but unfortunately one of his legs fell off and, although my mum replaced it with a broken matchstick, he always leaned alarmingly after that  :'(

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST BOARD GAME ???
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 10:43:45 AM »
So, although we now have a small collection of about 30 or so games

I'll tell my wife that 30 games is considered a small collection  ;D

Offline jma03

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 12:28:14 PM »
hahahahahha
 ;D

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 01:54:29 PM »
Well, my first board game I honestly can't remember, but it was most likely "Mensch ärgere Dich nicht", in German speaking countries this probably was even better known then "Monopoly". It's a "Snakes & Ladders" type of a game with pegs going in loops, extremely dull. "Monopoly" was, when I was a kid, only known in a variant, called "DKT" (an abbreviation of "The Gifted Merchant"), a second degree nephew, who was only a few years younger than me, showed me the game, but I must say, I didn't like it either, same goes for "Risk", a friend of mine got a few years later for birthday or Christmas.

The first board game, I really liked, might have been "Connect Four", if you consider that a board game, not sure. Later came "Chess", which I never was particular good in, and "Master Mind", which was to easy quite soon. Then I really got into "Scotland Yard", after that I did not play any board games for ages.

Then in 2013 I supported a crowd funding project of a game "Steam Noir Revolution", based on a German comic, I really liked. (I haven't read comics quite for a long time either, until the first "Sin City" movie got me into it again. Although, I have read "From Hell" a year or two before that.) This game is nice, although a little tough to get into, kind of an analogy to "From Hell". However, I played it with a befriended couple, of whom he likes comics a lot as well, and they mentioned, that they used to play a lot of board games. So when an uncle of mine finally hooked me with "Catan" on last summer vacation, I started to play different games regularly with them as well.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 04:30:17 PM »
My first game was Squad Leader ;)

Well, that was my first 'real' game and it actually got me into Hobby gaming. I was 19, (many years ago from my current 55 years). That was followed by many other Avalon Hill games.

As a youngster I played and bought (was gifted) many games. These are the ones I remember in a very rough order, Snakes & Ladders, Checkers, Monopoly, Obsession, Chess, Moviemaker, Mastermind, Cribbage / card games / trump games.

So I suppose I have always had a gaming gene.

I still enjoy the very occassional heavier games but my tastes and main gaming companions have gravitated to more accessible games. I love gaming as much, if not more than ever. 
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline jma03

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 05:04:36 AM »
I also I played the monopoly in houses cousins ​​when I was about 12 years .to following year by kings I was given my parents a version
named "hotel"
occasionally played Parcheesi, goose , checkers, among others.
another game that I liked quite a few years before meeting carcassonne was the "risk "

Offline Nebus

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • Lost in the CarcaZone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
It's hard to say which I played first but growing up we had Ghost Castle, which was awesome at the time, although very simple and totally luck based. We also had chess, draughts, Monopoly, Going for Broke, the Game of Life.

And then on the greatest Christmas morning ever I was given HeroQuest! I played this game so many times, I love it.

:black-meeple:

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 04:20:40 PM »
It's hard to say which I played first but growing up we had Ghost Castle, which was awesome at the time, although very simple and totally luck based. We also had chess, draughts, Monopoly, Going for Broke, the Game of Life.

And then on the greatest Christmas morning ever I was given HeroQuest! I played this game so many times, I love it.

:black-meeple:

Wow! Merit for describing my childhood so accurately (except for that we weren't lucky enough to have Ghost Castle so I had to go round to my friend's house to play it)  :(y)

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 08:02:15 PM »
Aside from Monotony... er, Monopoly, Life, and Risk which we played as kids, my first real intro to the board gaming hobby was none other than Carcassonne!
Flee the fleas.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne first edition?? Is it first edition?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
by Halfling
xx
The Voyages of Marco Polo - First plays, first impressions (image heavy)

Started by franks

5 Replies
Last post November 16, 2017, 06:07:57 AM
by franks
xx
WTB: First Edition, First Print with 70-point scoreboard

Started by Perimones

45 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 01:52:37 AM
by Decar
xx
Saint Nicholas Scoring Board why not Santa Claus scoring board?

Started by Windekind

7 Replies
Last post December 06, 2019, 12:31:54 AM
by Murphy013
clip
Topics: old board to new board

Started by gantry

0 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 07:12:03 PM
by gantry