Poll

Which versions of the River do you own or want to own?

I already own all three versions of the River.
31 (41.9%)
I own only the River I and II, but I think the River (III) is essential to completing my collection.
10 (13.5%)
I own only the River I and II, and I think that's enough for a complete collection.
25 (33.8%)
I own only one river and I think that's enough for a complete collection.
3 (4.1%)
I don't own any versions of the river.
0 (0%)
Other (please explain below).
5 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Completionism Poll #3: The River  (Read 25685 times)

Offline JoeSesquipedalian

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
Re: Completionism Poll #3: The River
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 04:43:22 PM »
If the addition of Hills and Sheep can make 'River I', 'River III'.  I guess some gardens makes 'River I',  'River IV'.  But if we did that 2.0's 'Inns & Cathedrals' should be 'Inns & Cathedrals II' because it added some gardens making the configuration slightly different.  Likewise for 'Traders and Builders'.  When will the madness end!

I myself am looking forward to purchasing Princess and Dragon II when it becomes readily available.  P&D I is way too expensive for me here in the US.  Plus more gardens for my hungry Abbot! 
Who got a smudge on the tile?

Offline TheDoctor_13

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 1
  • I'll Claim This Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 09:42:31 PM »
I debated between "I own 1 River and think its enough" and "other", but I chose the first. 1 River is fine for a game, but do wonder how multiple rivers will play like, though that all depends if River II (River III?) will be made it the new style.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 03:29:31 AM »
If the addition of Hills and Sheep can make 'River I', 'River III'.  I guess some gardens makes 'River I',  'River IV'.  But if we did that 2.0's 'Inns & Cathedrals' should be 'Inns & Cathedrals II' because it added some gardens making the configuration slightly different.  Likewise for 'Traders and Builders'.  When will the madness end!

I myself am looking forward to purchasing Princess and Dragon II when it becomes readily available.  P&D I is way too expensive for me here in the US.  Plus more gardens for my hungry Abbot!
If they are smart, they'll include The River II in this box.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2016, 03:40:10 AM »

If they are smart, they'll include The River II in this box.

I would guess it's more likely that they wait for a new-art Big Box, which might be coming this year in keeping with the two-year cycle as kettlefish has mentioned elsewhere. Then the Big Box could include the base game and the first three expansions (or four, if they print another one soon) and the River II. The three expansion elements on the River II would all have their respective expansions included in the box so it makes sense. Of course, the uber-completionists will then be forced to buy a whole big box just to get a 7th version of the River  >:D

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2016, 06:21:50 AM »
I have all three, and the GQ expansion.

I mostly have the river three because I wanted the WOF in the big box but now that I have it in really glad I do because I really like having the other expansion elements on it. I can see why some people may not be bothered and would see it as the same thing as river 1 although I would definitely consider the river 2 to be a seperate expansion.

This is the first of the polls where I've actually owned all the versions so I'm not generally a super completionist, but I think the rivers are all different enough to warrant the different versions!

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2016, 10:21:52 AM »
I consider my collection complete with River I and II, but I wouldn't mind adding only the tiles with the new features from River III.
Flee the fleas.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 10:30:08 AM »
This is the first of the polls where I've actually owned all the versions so I'm not generally a super completionist, but I think the rivers are all different enough to warrant the different versions!

Funny how I think this about Cathars/Siege/Besiegers, but not about rivers. Well, that's the purpose of this series in the first place!

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »
I'm not a massive fan of the River and don't tend to use it very much. I recently bought River I and GQ11 to go with River II and hadn't really thought about River III at all. However, I do quite fancy getting H&S expansion at some point, in which case I'd then like River III - damn you!!

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2016, 01:07:20 AM »
All this talk of the River III and how it replaces the River I has got me obsessing. Darn and double darn.

I've given in and ordered a copy of Big Box 5. Just for the River. And the purple meeples, I suppose. And the correctly watermarked hill tile! And the language independent wheel, although I prefer the worded one. And more score tiles! I'm feeling better and better about it. Still, I'm going to have a few spare tiles now...

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:09:08 AM by Christopher »
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Hepguy

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2016, 01:56:14 PM »
I am one of the OCD collectors,  I have so far talked myself out of carcassonne II , but I do feel compelled to aquire the tiles when a new feature or graphic is released ( watermarks not withstanding). So personally all three river editions plus GQ11 ( which is my favorite river start tile) are required to have a complete set of river tiles.
Benedictio Dei

Offline Hepguy

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2016, 02:01:53 PM »
I should also mention that because of the similarity of most river I/III tiles I am likely to merely add the four redesigned tiles and not the complete river.  Unless... Mega Carcassonne with mega river?

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2016, 12:31:24 AM »
I am one of the OCD collectors,  I have so far talked myself out of carcassonne II , but I do feel compelled to aquire the tiles when a new feature or graphic is released ( watermarks not withstanding). So personally all three river editions plus GQ11 ( which is my favorite river start tile) are required to have a complete set of river tiles.

The 'OCD collectors?' It's not a club.

I should also mention that because of the similarity of most river I/III tiles I am likely to merely add the four redesigned tiles and not the complete river.  Unless... Mega Carcassonne with mega river?

I try not to play with more than one of any expansion, but if the Rivers I and III are technically different... a huge river might be fun!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:09:57 AM by Christopher »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2016, 08:26:52 AM »
The UBER UBER completionist needs to buy the PC Game from Koch, that used The River as a simple copy protection mechanism:

Thanks to Jojo K on BGG for the images

The backs of the tiles contain the unlock codes.  The fronts are the same.

Offline Hepguy

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2016, 08:34:24 PM »
That is a great name for a club.  :)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2016, 01:40:06 AM »
The UBER UBER completionist needs to buy the PC Game from Koch, that used The River as a simple copy protection mechanism:

Thanks to Jojo K on BGG for the images

The backs of the tiles contain the unlock codes.  The fronts are the same.

...and are you that uber uber completionist Decar? If so, you might be the only one!  >:D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule

Started by Decar

33 Replies
Last post September 21, 2023, 06:39:35 AM
by Meles
xx
Completionism Poll #1: Cathars, Siege and Besiegers

Started by jungleboy

50 Replies
Last post April 30, 2017, 07:20:58 PM