Author Topic: Unpub 7  (Read 1889 times)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Unpub 7
« on: March 18, 2017, 06:11:22 PM »
My family and I spent the entire day at Unpub 7.  We played 8 or so games.  We played so much, we lost track.  One guy made a tile placement game where he glued his designs over Carcassonne tiles.  How can you do that to Carcassonne man?   :-\    Another designer had a pie themed card game in which you received a free pie for play testing it.  What a great idea!  My son found an interesting logic loophole in that game that my wife, I, and the creator didn't spot.  He was extremely happy with my son's feedback.   Robert Couch (who created Saloon Tycoon) had an interesting octopus game that my son absolutely outscored everyone.   

Whenever you review a game at Unpub, you get entered to win a prize.  Both my son and wife won free games!  Afterward we went home and my son started working on his own board game.   

In any case, I wanted to mention the best 2 games we played tonight.  Both are allegedly headed to Kickstarter in 2017. 

Sailing Toward Osiris
This was a great little worker placement game that has really great wooden tokens and board art.  The game is played over 4 seasons and you have to build monuments (sphinxes, obelisks, one other one that escapes me) to score points.  To me it was a combination of Stone Age and Imhotep. My wife said the four season river movement reminded her of Carcassonne Amazonas, but I didn't quite see it that way.  We will most likely acquire this one when it comes available.   

Rocket Squad
This was a kids card game where you score points by building rockets out of cardboard boxes.  The theme is really top notch.  The little boxes even have the little "fragile" and "this end up" labels on them.   The game has a lot of little take that moments which does turn some people off, but we like it.   We liked this game, but we suggested some things to make us really like it.  Without the changes or some others, I don't know about the replay value.   Depending on what changes between now and Production and the cost, we may pick this up too. 

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3217.0
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:41:19 PM by dirk2112 »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Unpub 7
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 11:44:16 PM »
Thanks for the write-up!

Sailing Toward Osiris
This was a great little worker placement game that has really great wooden tokens and board art.  The game is played over 4 seasons and you have to build monuments (sphinxes, obelisks, one other one that escapes me) to score points.  To me it was a combination of Stone Age and Imhotep. My wife said the four season river movement reminded her of Carcassonne Amazonas, but I didn't quite see it that way.  We will most likely acquire this one when it comes available.   

This sounds pretty cool so I'll look out for it too, thanks for the heads-up!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter