Author Topic: Z-Man Games new updated website  (Read 6241 times)

Offline flipshot

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • Is it time to play or sleep?
    • View Profile
Z-Man Games new updated website
« on: June 06, 2017, 01:06:07 PM »
https://www.zmangames.com/en/index/
All new Carcassonne info added. Even rules for the Tower and Under the Big Top!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3378.0

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Z-Man Games new updated website
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 12:42:24 AM »
Thanks for the information rhettz!

Offline Mikeagan

• Duke
  • Merit: 5
  • I am interested in any expansion for CARC2.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »
Thanks for the update. They did a nice job. Now hopefully they can keep it current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My CARC2 homemade expansions:
SUMMER GINGERBREAD MAN.

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 07:48:36 PM »
This thread inspired me to check out their website, and download the English rules for C-II. Wow, that's a pretty painful read. The new rules are quite well done visually, but from the standpoint of tone and content the quality is not very good; lots of issues that competent editing would have caught. I didn't see an editor listed in the credits, so I guess they didn't think this was important.

And now I understand why people have been saying that the new game officially doesn't have farmers — they're not even in the downloadable rulebook.  :o

I will say, though, that there is a thread of consistency in all these reboot changes: it seems they are courting a younger and/or more short-attention-span kind of audience. The rules in particular seem to be written for a young player who has grown up getting participation trophies for just showing up. Repeatedly, the reader is heartily congratulated (with exclamation points!) for such simple tasks as placing two tiles next to each other with the white lines matching up. I guess we need to be patted on the head for this so we don't lose interest and wander away?

The worst example is probably when I was told I had put a thief highwayman on a dinky two-segment road, then my opponent placed another road tile to complete it to give me a measly 3 points from someone else's action. Nothing wrong with that, but I was then given a hearty "Well done!" as though this was an accomplishment???

Mommy mommy I'm so proud mommy — but where's my juice box?
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline Mikeagan

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 08:52:34 PM »
This thread inspired me to check out their website, and download the English rules for C-II. Wow, that's a pretty painful read. The new rules are quite well done visually, but from the standpoint of tone and content the quality is not very good; lots of issues that competent editing would have caught. I didn't see an editor listed in the credits, so I guess they didn't think this was important.

I will say, though, that there is a thread of consistency in all these reboot changes: it seems they are courting a younger and/or more short-attention-span kind of audience. The rules in particular seem to be written for a young player who has grown up getting participation trophies for just showing up. Repeatedly, the reader is heartily congratulated (with exclamation points!) for such simple tasks as placing two tiles next to each other with the white lines matching up. I guess we need to be patted on the head for this so we don't lose interest and wander away?
I get the same feel as reading a "For Dummies" book. They want to make sure a 7 year old can read and understand the directions.

And now I understand why people have been saying that the new game officially doesn't have farmers — they're not even in the downloadable rulebook.  :o
I just noticed this myself, I got the game and started playing Carcassonne after the new art switch over. I can verify with my set that there are rules for the farmer in the manual that comes in the box, but... this is on a separate sheet and labeled as Supplementary Rules. Farmers are described as Advanced Rules for more strategic players who are comfortable with the game. On the back side of this sheet are rules for the River (mini expansion) and the Abbot (mini expansion 2).

Also, in Carcassonne II there are different terminologies for things. Here are some examples:
CarcassonneCarcassonne II
RoadsRoads
CitiesCities
CloistersMonasteries
FarmsFields
FollowersFigures
ThiefsHighwayman
KnightsKnights
MonksMonks
FarmersFarmers

They do no use followers in any of the manuals.
Different Figures: Meeple, Large Meeple, Abbot, Mayor, Wagon... they then specify which figures interact with other aspects such as the Dragon & Fairy Figures or Towers etc...

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 09:01:55 PM »
Which downloadable rulebook are you guys referring to when you are mentioning the farmers are not included?

They are in the base game rule book downloaded from Z-man Games' website. File: carcassonne_new_edition.pdf page "7".
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Mikeagan

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 09:03:52 PM »
When they updated the website, they forgot to include pages 7 & 8. I have just sent a message to ZMAN GAMES customer service to see if they can fix this.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:10:15 PM by Mikeagan »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 09:30:05 PM »
When they updated the website, they forgot to include pages 7 & 8. I have just sent a message to ZMAN GAMES customer service to see if they can fix this.

Those pages are already included. I downloaded my pdf more than a month ago from their site and those pages are in it. Supplementary page 1 and 2 on page 7 and 8.

Offline Mikeagan

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 10:33:43 PM »
Look on the website right now.

A month ago, before they updated the website, pages 7 & 8 were there

Since the update to their site, they have uploaded newer versions of all the manuals/rules, but pages 7 & 8 from the base game are missing.

I know because I have both versions of the rules downloaded. I would upload both as proof, but the PDF files are too big to upload.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:49:23 PM by Mikeagan »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 01:16:37 AM »
Yes looks like the 2 copies of the rules that used to reside on ZMAN's site have been removed.  Google directs to a page that 404s.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 02:54:10 AM »
I downloaded the file again and can see that it does miss the two last pages. So it was complete earlier but now.

Offline Mikeagan

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 06:54:03 PM »
My message to ZMAN GAMES:
Quote from: Mikeagan
On the webpage: https://www.zmangames.com/en/products/carcassonne/ there is a link to download the rules. The PDF of the CARCASSONNE rules is missing pages 7 & 8 which contains the Supplemental rules for farmers along with rules for the River & Abbot expansions. Please either add these pages to the PDF or create a second one with these on it.
The response that I received
Quote from: ZMAN_GAMES
Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry the supplementary rules weren't available. We've updated the website and you can find the link to the .pdf here: https://www.zmangames.com/en/products/carcassonne/
I looked at the site and they now have a second PDF with the supplementary rules containing the Farmers, River and Abbot.

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 07:43:08 PM »
Thanks for pinging them and getting this fixed!

It is nice to have this PDF, but sadly it really needed some proofing. Plenty of misspellings, and some wordings that will have to be contradicted when they print certain expansions in the new art. This is pretty frustrating, partly because it was so easily avoidable.

My favorite part is how the rule that "the river cannot turn twice in the same direction because this would create a u-turn" is accompanied by an illustration of the river turning twice in the same direction and creating a U-turn. :D

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 07:40:25 AM »
Great work Mikeagan! :(y)

Well done for correcting them. +1 merit from me for this proactivity! :)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 12:44:14 AM »
And in all the confusion no one noticed we lost Bertie during the revision.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Cundco website updated

Started by Jesusgcas

13 Replies
Last post October 20, 2016, 09:14:04 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
HiG's website is back

Started by Meepledrone

1 Replies
Last post August 03, 2023, 08:23:50 AM
by Decar
xx
website princess dress world

Started by davide

5 Replies
Last post November 11, 2020, 05:07:57 AM
by MeepleFriend
xx
jcloisterzone.com website related errors

Started by Paul

1 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 12:27:25 PM
by farin
xx
Is the Carcassonne-Forum.de website having trouble?

Started by mPony

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2018, 10:34:24 PM
by glh510