Author Topic: Questions about Halflings, Farming and Barns  (Read 15870 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Questions about Halflings, Farming and Barns
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 02:33:09 AM »
So you cant put halflings in corners of cloisters?  What happens if someone does? Does that mean it cant be completed or it doesn't score?

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 04:42:15 AM »
So you cant put halflings in corners of cloisters?  What happens if someone does? Does that mean it cant be completed or it doesn't score?

I'm not sure your question is directed at me or not.

In the picture below, per our house rule the cloister on the right is complete.  The one on the left is worth 7 points at the end of the game. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:37:58 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 05:21:58 AM »
We've been playing with the rule that a Halfling will finish a cloister or castle no matter how its played. I like the idea of dirk, might put that in as a house rule.

Coming back to the fliers, Decar, do you use different rules for them in games that are played with Halflings or German castles? If you count the gaps different i mean. And if both are played in the game?
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2017, 06:08:37 AM »
In the picture below, per our house rule the cloister on the right is complete.  The one on the left is worth 7 points at the end of the game.

I like your house rule. I'm still playing that both of those cloisters are complete per the original halfling rules, but I think your house rule is actually closer to the spirit of the original cloister rules.

The CAR says: A cloister is completed when it is surrounded by eight land tiles. (p.17)

If your house rule is not well understood by anyone, you could perhaps redefine cloister completion as something like this:

A cloister is completed when it is surrounded by eight land tiles that each extend to all possible corners of the cloister tile.

(The orthogonally adjacent tiles need to extend to two corners of the cloister tile, and the diagonally adjacent tiles can only extend to one corner of the cloister tile.)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2017, 07:15:44 AM »

(The orthogonally adjacent tiles need to extend to two corners of the cloister tile, and the diagonally adjacent tiles can only extend to one corner of the cloister tile.)

Thanks Jungleboy!  It is one of those things that makes sense when you see it, but is rather hard to explain.  You did a good job with your explanation.

I enjoy the halflings expansions and I like that they are very helpful in closing features or trapping meeple.  My wife is good at doing both at the same time.   :green-meeple:

I just realized in my haste to take a photo before heading into work, I screwed up the right most example.  The one tile can't go there :(  I used MS paint to fix it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:37:25 AM by dirk2112 »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Halflings I or Halflings II

Started by stalcupojoy

6 Replies
Last post January 11, 2016, 01:49:58 PM
by Hounk
xx
Castles in Germany End Game Farming Score?

Started by Nebus

8 Replies
Last post June 15, 2016, 02:03:30 PM
by Nebus
xx
Guerilla farming

Started by Allograft

10 Replies
Last post March 04, 2021, 12:53:41 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Besiegers and Halflings II (and New Edition and Goldrush) now available at Cundco

Started by jungleboy

29 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 05:53:56 AM
by Darwin
xx
Abbey & Mayor: counting cities at the end of the game with farms and barns

Started by HansLobik

6 Replies
Last post January 03, 2017, 11:57:35 AM
by Decar