Author Topic: The Ferries and the School interaction questions  (Read 2403 times)

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
The Ferries and the School interaction questions
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:48:12 PM »
I have a couple questions about the Ferries and the School and how the interact.

If one of the roads leading out from the School has a Ferries tile attached to it and in doing so a ferry is placed so that the road continues. I assume if on a subsequent turn if the ferry is moved so that the road leading out of the School is now closed / completed that it, possibly, scores and then the person who completed it gets the School teacher?

What happens if this closed road is later re-opened? Could it be closed again and the teacher be taken by whomever closed it?

What has me curious is that the rules DO say that once all 6 roads are closed the teacher will no longer go to any of the players.

So what happens if after all 6 roads are completed / closed one of them is re-opened due to a shift in ferry placement? If that re-opened road is again closed could the teacher then be claimed?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3563.0

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: The Ferries and the School interaction questions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 11:15:07 PM »
Ive looked in to it, but cannot find a source for this, but i would say it is:

Yes, by changing the ferry, the road is considered closed and will be scored. The player on that road will get the teachers.

Yes, by changing the ferry, a road can be re-opened. The person who closes the road will get the teacher.

The rules do state specificly that, once all 6 roads are completed, the school is connected to the outside world and the teacher has enough students so doesnt go out any more. As mentioned, the school is meant to be played with just base and I&C,so this is something that they didnt plan on  ;)

I would say yes, even if all 6 roads have been closed and the teacher is returned to the school. When one of the roads is re-opened and closed, the teacher will go to the player that closed it.
The rules do state that after the roads have been closed the teacher wont leave the school again, so i guess it is a tricky one.
We play with the (house)rule that when re-opened, the teacher can still be claimed.
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 11:15:58 PM »
Mmmh... good question! I think yes! When the roads are completed the teacher remains on the school... In theory he is still in game, but it's impossible to have it because all the roads around are completed... so, why not if one of the roads is opened again!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 11:39:39 PM »
Sounds pretty obvious, at first.

If the rules from the School says once all six roads are closed, the teacher no longer will be available to any player.

But what if not all six roads are closed and, for example, one road opens and closes. Would be hard to keep track of this.

Normally would favor the six roads only having The School rules taking precedence but there since there are only so many times you can actually use the ferry it would be easier to extend the usage for the teacher beyond the limit of six.

Another rule idea to compromise this would be to prevent the teacher from being handed out to any player once ALL six roads achieves closed / completed status at any one given turn.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 12:06:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I asked these questions because they actually came up in a game I played with a friend on Friday. The way we handled it at the time was that if a road was re-opened and then closed again that we could again claim the teacher.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 12:32:33 PM »
Live and learn. So on point with this expansion.  ^-^

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Questions about ferries with the builder, and abbots

Started by Tomoto_17

4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2020, 09:50:24 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
School questions

Started by MrNumbers

10 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 01:09:09 PM