Author Topic: Abbey Questions  (Read 1876 times)

Offline rbanks88

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Abbey Questions
« on: July 13, 2020, 01:08:08 PM »
1. Does an abbey separate parts of a city?
If an abbey is placed in an incomplete city, so that it separates a player's builder from the rest of the city, when that player adds a tile to that separated part of the city, does he/she get to draw a second tile?

Or is the builder isolated? Does an abbey separate features so that it could split one city into two cities, with different "winners" in each when the cities are completed?

2. If you place an abbey in a city and put a meeple on it, does that meeple count in determining who wins the city when it's completed?

Thanks,
Russell

P.S. I imagine these questions have been already asked and answered, but I tried searching for these topics and gave up after 20 minutes. We need a search that would find two words within 5 or 10 words of each other!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4729.0

Offline Snowmax

• Labourer
    • View Profile
Re: Abbey Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 01:28:24 PM »
If an abbey is placed in an incomplete city, so that it separates a player's builder from the rest of the city, when that player adds a tile to that separated part of the city, does he/she get to draw a second tile?

Or is the builder isolated? Does an abbey separate features so that it could split one city into two cities, with different "winners" in each when the cities are completed?

2. If you place an abbey in a city and put a meeple on it, does that meeple count in determining who wins the city when it's completed?

Thanks,
Russell

P.S. I imagine these questions have been already asked and answered, but I tried searching for these topics and gave up after 20 minutes. We need a search that would find two words within 5 or 10 words of each other!
Not sure how scenario 1 could happen.

The abbey completes features it is adjacent to.

The builder could only have been placed onto a city tile connected to another city tile. So even if the abbey was placed into a suitable gap in a city the builder and the knight was still share at least one city edge and would still be in the same city (so could not have been separated from the knight)

For question two the answer is no. A meeple placed in a abbey is a monk and the abbey is scored as a monastery. (ie. it is not in the city)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 45,600+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 03:50:40 PM »
Hi rbanks88,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy its contents and all the info available.

I just wanted to add some more info to the previous responses. I know for sure sometimes findind an answer online is a bit tough if you don't use the right words that may have been used in the answer.

So here we go...

Thanks,
Russell

Not sure how scenario 1 could happen.

The abbey completes features it is adjacent to.

The builder could only have been placed onto a city tile connected to another city tile. So even if the abbey was placed into a suitable gap in a city the builder and the knight was still share at least one city edge and would still be in the same city (so could not have been separated from the knight)

For question two the answer is no. A meeple placed in a abbey is a monk and the abbey is scored as a monastery. (ie. it is not in the city)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree...  ;D

The scenario described in question #1 cannot happen. Check the following image a an abbey placed in the middle of a city (I took it from the Advent Calendar Quiz MMXIX, question #16).

The abbey tile fills the gap and completes 4 separate cities, two of which are occupied and will be scored by :red-meeple: (a 5-tile city with a coat of arms and a cathedral)  and :yellow-meeple: (a 1-tile city). The abbey is a different feature than the city so it is not scored as part of it. As you can see the abbey is a separate feature from the cities and is still incomplete, so :green-meeple: won't score points.

Getting back to your scenario, the city occupied by :red-meeple: in the image is the only one where a builder could have been place (in this case by  :red-meeple:). The placement of the abbey would not be able to separate the :red-meeple: knight and the :red-meeple: builder, following what Snowmax said.

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Abbey_and_the_Mayor#Footnotes

The previous link provided by Carcassonne93 contains several clarifications. Please check clarification #7, that reads:

"Abbeys can close cities and roads but they are not part of the feature itself. Bear this in mind when scoring cities completed by abbeys and also when scoring fields."

This would also help response question #2. Abbeys are separate feature, so as Snowmax indicated, the answer would be no.

Additionally, check this other clarification here about abbeys and builder that may be of interest:

"If a player completes a feature with an abbey tile and his or her builder is on the feature, the feature does not get “extended” by the abbey (as the abbey is a separate feature), so the player does not get another tile (i.e. no double turn)."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:54:21 PM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Drodo

• Duke
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 06:28:53 PM »
As others have already said, scenario #1 cannot happen and yes, an abbey separates/closes roads, cities and fields all around it. The abbey is not a city segment itself, so for question #2 the answer is no. An abbey with a meeple on it acts like a monastery and scores 9 points when completed.

Offline rbanks88

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 11:16:11 AM »
Thank you all for your kind help.

Russell

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Abbey And Mayor (New Edition) - Wagon questions

Started by Hounk

24 Replies
Last post June 22, 2017, 06:42:49 AM
by Yashin-n
xx
Abbey & Mayor League - Group B

Started by danisthirty

92 Replies
Last post June 14, 2015, 01:57:21 PM