Author Topic: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVI  (Read 34830 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVI
« on: November 17, 2016, 08:29:12 AM »
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but apparently it will be December in just two weeks! How I'm supposed to prepare for Christmas when things like this keep happening is beyond me, but I am at least partly prepared in that I've bought the kids their advent calendars in time for them to open the first door on 1st December. And while I was queuing up in the shop waiting to pay for them, I remembered just how much fun our Advent Quiz was last year! For anyone who either wasn't around last year or didn't take part in it, you can find out all about it by following this link...

So even though I haven't thought of any of the questions yet, I just wanted to make it known that I plan to be running another advent quiz this year following the same format as last year. The only difference will be that this time I won't be providing the same level of individual feedback as I did last time as this got quite distracting at times, especially while I was supposed to be working. Questions should still be answered via PM and there will still be 3 points for 1st correct answer, 2 points for 2nd correct answer and 1 point for all subsequent correct answers. Questions will be posted at a random time each day and the answers will still be the names of members of the CarcC community. Anybody who answers all questions - rightly or wrongly (and not even necessarily on the same day as the questions were posed) - will get some sort of prize. Last year I gave away a signed Carc 2 demo tile to everyone who took part and there will probably be a bonus prize for whoever has the most points at the end.

You'll probably find answers to any other questions on last year's thread, but feel free to ask here if anything isn't clear! Otherwise, good luck and merry Christmas to everyone who decides to take part!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2970.0
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 01:18:05 PM by whaleyland »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVII
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 11:33:02 AM »
Hi danisthirty,
I am not sure if the year is correct: MMXVII - in my opinion it is 2017 - but this year it is still 2016.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVII
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 01:16:34 PM »
Hi danisthirty,
I am not sure if the year is correct: MMXVII - in my opinion it is 2017 - but this year it is still 2016.
You are right:)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVI
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 01:18:38 PM »
I changed your topic title to reflect the correct Roman numerals. If there was some snarky reason for it, feel free to change it back.  ;)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 01:36:52 PM »
I'd decided to use roman numerals for the other thread I started at the same time about the 2017 league. But I forgot, and then pasted it onto this one without thinking. Thanks for correcting! :) :(y)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 08:26:20 AM »
Happy December everyone! It's time to get this show on the road with the first of our 2016 advent quiz questions. :)

Here's a quick recap of the rules before we go on though...

The idea is that between the 1st and 24th December I will post one question per day on this thread, with the answer to each question being the name of a forum member here at Carcassonne Central. If you think you know the answer for any particular day (current or past), send me a PM with the question number and your answer, but please don't post it on the thread as this could spoil the quiz for anyone else who either hasn't seen the question yet or may still be trying to work it out.

Some of the questions are a little bit cryptic but most should still be obvious enough that you'll know the answer straight away or can find it after a few minutes of searching around the forums/ Google. Here's an example:

If you like to subscribe to certain posts so that you get an email whenever anyone posts an update, you'll probably know this person's name from emails containing the following:

"A topic you are watching has been split into two or more topics by _ _ N _ _ _ _ _ _ ."

The answer? MrNumbers of course! :)

If you're the first person to answer any question correctly you will receive 3 points, or if you're the second person to answer any question correctly you will receive 2 points. All other correct answers will receive 1 point, but you may only have one guess per question so don't rush it!

The person with the most points at 5am on Christmas Day (UK time – when I expect to be woken up) will win a small prize. Correct answers and points awarded per question will be disclosed during the period between Boxing day and New Year's Eve (and not before... depending on how bored I get at work).

Now that all that's out of the way we'll get things going with an easy one:

Q1:
In March, this forum member and two other players took part in a record-breaking game of Carcassonne that included 10,007 tiles.

If you think you know who this was, please PM me with the answer - don't answer here!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 05:23:07 AM »
Thanks to everyone who answered yesterdays question! Here's another... ;)

Q2:
In August, Decar ran our 2nd "GenCan't SoloCon" competition which involved trying to score as many points as possible in a solo game of Carcassonne including the basic tiles + Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders and the Phantom. Competition was fierce, but which forum member was the first to respond to the digital/ physical contest?

If you think you know who this was, please PM me with the answer - don't answer here!

Good luck!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 04:01:00 AM »
Q3:
In October I had the honour of meeting Klaus-Jürgen Wrede and presenting him with a framed landscape of 150 Carcassonne tiles that had each been signed by members of the Carcassonne fan community from all over the world! Of all the names featured, which forum member signed the cfrf tile from Crop Circles 2 (hint: it features a pitch fork)?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 01:03:23 PM by danisthirty »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 01:04:45 PM »
Q4:
In June we held an auction for three hand-drawn/ painted prototype tiles that were used to demo Carcassonne: South Seas when it was first being tested. We raised over 150 Euros for charity in the process! Which forum member won the auction for the only tile (of the three we auctioned) with more than three distinct features available?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 01:34:18 AM »
Q5:
In August we were introduced to two new promo tiles that were given away to participants of the Russian Carcassonne championships. Which forum member thoughtfully contacted Hobby World (the Russian Carcassonne distributor) in an attempt to order some of these tiles (and other Russian Carcassonne sets) on behalf of members of CarcF and CarcC?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 12:20:34 AM »
Q6:
In July (on my birthday in fact), four members of Carcassonne Central met up in Draughts (London) to play their way through 19 Carcassonne games in 14 hours with each player sticking to the same coloured meeples throughout all the games. Which forum member played as the blue player?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »
Q7:
In August I wrote a short story on my Carcassonne blog about how a particular forum member had helped me to get hold of a piece of jewellery for my wife's birthday. Who was this forum member?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 02:13:48 PM »
Q8:
In December, MrNumbers offered to host an online version of HiG's "Carcassonne Action Quiz" via our online chat room (this is due to be held this Sunday [11th] so please try to find time for it if possible - it's sure to be a blast!) However, when the quiz was first run at the Carcassonne fan meeting in Essen on 13th October which Carcassonne Central member won?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 01:09:31 AM »
Hello everyone! We're into the middle third of advent now and I hope those taking part have enjoyed the quiz so far. :)

Don't forget, you can answer any question you haven't already answered so even if you've missed a day or two you can still go back to previous questions and PM me an answer for an extra point (assuming you get it right). This also means that even if you've only just discovered that this is going on, it's never too late to join in (provided you start before Christmas). Good luck! :(y)

Q9:
In April, the forums were beset with carelessness when many members of Carcassonne Central suddenly realised that they'd misplaced all of their Corn Circles 1 tiles! ::) Fortunately, Cundco were on hand to help out with their tile replacement service. In one particular case they provided full sets of CC1 tiles to an unlucky forum member who had lost not one, not even two, or three, but FOUR sets of Corn Circles tiles! Who was this?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 10:23:09 AM »
Q10:
In February, Decar was kind enough to assist a new forum member who wanted to create a special expansion along with some personalised meeple stickers for her boyfriend as a Valentine's Day gift. Which forum member was the lucky boyfriend for whom they were intended?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXIX

Started by Meepledrone

151 Replies
Last post October 29, 2021, 08:41:39 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXX

Started by Meepledrone

210 Replies
Last post November 03, 2021, 09:48:24 AM
by Allograft
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXII

Started by Meepledrone

331 Replies
Last post May 15, 2023, 12:09:47 PM
by Meepledrone
clip
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXII coming soon...

Started by Meepledrone

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2022, 01:44:55 AM
by Challa007
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVII

Started by danisthirty

104 Replies
Last post February 17, 2018, 07:56:46 AM
by Rich_The_Fish