Author Topic: Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei  (Read 88629 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »
- leaves us to the pyramid-forming acrobats...well, honestly I like the stacking-aspect of the meeples and it's the only renewing aspect of this expansion.  But what if someone has two meeples in the pyramid?  Is there a majority rule in that case?

It says; "all three meeples are returned to their owners, who score 5 points for each acrobat returned."

So, I think there is no majority rule. If there are two red meeple and one green meeple; red player scores 10, green scores 5..
yes you are right - red with two meeple scores 10 points and green with one meeple scors 5 points.
In the rules is an example with 2 red meeples and 1 blue meeple.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »
Here's a photo showing some of the contents (from BGG)

The photo accompanies a game preview for the expansion.

Thanks jungleboy, I wasn't aware of that. I just saw their tweet this morning which didn't mention a post about the expansion. Cheers for finding it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:23:44 PM by Rich_The_Fish »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2017, 12:33:12 PM »
The Ringmaster:

Quote from: 'BGG - W. Eric Martin'
Finally, you can place your ringmaster on a tile as if it were a knight, robber or monk, and when that feature is scored, you receive both the points for the road, city or cloister as usual, along with a 2-point bonus for each circus tile in the eight surrounding spaces.

I've put some more information here at CarcC into the description from W. Eric Martin at BGG - see the text in bold. I did the correction reading for the rules of the 10th expansion. If there are no more changes in the printed rules then the following text included all the information of the rules:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, you can place your ringmaster on a tile as if it were a knight, robber, monk, or farmer. The ringmaster can't be placed as an artist. When that feature is scored, you receive both the points for the road, city or cloister as usual, along with a 2-point bonus for each circus tile and artists tile in the eight surrounding spaces. The ringmaster gets the bonus points even if he has not the mayority onto the feature.
At the final score at the end of the game the ringmaster gets also the 2 bonus points for the unfinished roads, cities, cloister and the farm.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:49:57 PM by kettlefish »

Offline Ry4Christ

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »
Thanks for the new info Rich_The_Fish, jungleboy, and kettlefish! My initial thoughts after reading the rules:

- Even though it has similarities with the sheep from Hills and Sheep, I like the circus tent mechanic. It's cool that it's always moving, and the luck-based aspect seems like it would just build excitement and suspense until the animal is revealed, so that's a plus. If I understand correctly it wouldn't be difficult to score 21+ points on the 7 point elephant. That's nothing to sneeze at!

- Everyone knows the real game within the game of Carcassonne is stacking your meeples, so the human pyramids are a fun idea, and would poses some interesting choices of whether placing a meeple would be worth the points in the time it could take to get it back. I could also see players trapping pyramid meeples on their tile with the tiles places close to it.

- The ringmaster is interesting to me in that he gets the 2 points per new tile surrounding him, even if he doesn't have the majority on a feature, or finishes it - if I understand correctly. Since the ringmaster can be a farmer, does that mean he could score the bonus points for tiles surrounding him at the end even if he didn't have the majority in the farm? That would be very interesting.

Overall, it looks like it has some fun new elements with mechanics that stay within the spirit of Carcassonne - judging whether or not a meeple is worth the points in the time it takes to score and the potential of trapping meeples with the pyramids, surrounding tile and meeple bonus points with the ringmaster. Of course I wish there was a classic artwork option, but from what I see I'm excited to try this new expansion out  :)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2017, 03:37:21 AM »
Maybe I have misinterpreted the rules and someone can explain me:
Rules (at least, published here) state that after 3rd meeple is placed to form the pyramid, they are returned to their owners with 5 points. So it means that pyramid could not even be physically built? Imagine: two meeples are already on the pyramid tile, another player places a tile in the vicinity of the pyramid and declares that he wants to place a meeple on the pyramid tile. After that action meeples to be returned to their owners immediately (OK, in the scoring phase). So what's the point of building the pyramid just for 1 second? Just for fun? The only case the pyramid is needed to be built, is playing with Dragon: he can eat acrobats before they get scored.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2017, 04:25:47 AM »
The Acrobats and the Acrobats (Pyramid) tile:

Quote from: 'BGG - W. Eric Martin
Whenever you draw a pyramid tile, place it on the board legally, then choose whether you want to place a meeple on one of the two spaces. A player who places any subsequent tile in one of the eight surrounding spaces can either place a meeple on that newly-placed tile as usual or place a meeple on the pyramid tile. When the third such meeple is placed on this space — thus forming a pyramid of acrobats — all three meeples are returned to their owners, who score 5 points for each acrobat returned.

- leaves us to the pyramid-forming acrobats...well, honestly I like the stacking-aspect of the meeples and it's the only renewing aspect of this expansion.  But what if someone has two meeples in the pyramid?  Is there a majority rule in that case?
It says; "all three meeples are returned to their owners, who score 5 points for each acrobat returned."
So, I think there is no majority rule. If there are two red meeple and one green meeple; red player scores 10, green scores 5..
yes you are right - red with two meeple scores 10 points and green with one meeple scors 5 points.
In the rules is an example with 2 red meeples and 1 blue meeple.
Maybe I have misinterpreted the rules and someone can explain me:
Rules (at least, published here) state that after 3rd meeple is placed to form the pyramid, they are returned to their owners with 5 points. So it means that pyramid could not even be physically built? Imagine: two meeples are already on the pyramid tile, another player places a tile in the vicinity of the pyramid and declares that he wants to place a meeple on the pyramid tile. After that action meeples to be returned to their owners immediately (OK, in the scoring phase). So what's the point of building the pyramid just for 1 second? Just for fun? The only case the pyramid is needed to be built, is playing with Dragon: he can eat acrobats before they get scored.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Here at CarcC I put some more rules in bold in the text from W.Eric Martin from BGG

Whenever you draw a pyramid tile, place it on the board legally, then choose whether you want to place a meeple as an acrobat on one of the two spaces. A player who places any subsequent tile in one of the eight surrounding spaces can either place a meeple on that newly-placed tile as usual or place a meeple on the pyramid tile. When the third such meeple is placed on this space (on the top of the other two acrobats) — thus forming a pyramid of acrobats - the acrobat pyramid is finished but not scored in this turn. When the player draws and places a new pyramid tile - then the player can choose on which pyramid tile he likes to place his meeple as an acrobat.

When an acrobat pyramid is already finished (usually at the beginning of the players turn) and the player decided not to place a meeple or other figure during the "wood move" - the player then can score the acrobat pyramid - all three meeples are returned to their owners, who score 5 points for each acrobat returned. The player can score the acrobat pyramid even if he has not an own acrobat in the pyramid.

more rules will follow.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:35:09 AM by kettlefish »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2017, 05:49:41 AM »
When the third such meeple is placed on this space (on the top of the other two acrobats) — thus forming a pyramid of acrobats - the acrobat pyramid is finished but not scored in this turn.
OK, that makes sense to build a pyramid.
The player can score the acrobat pyramid even if he has not an own acrobat in the pyramid.
I suspect nobody will choose to score a pyramid where he isn't represented :)

Thanks for clarifications, kettlefish!

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2017, 07:14:56 AM »
It makes it a bit of a gamble to i guess. If you cant complete and later score a pyramid, you lose a meeple untill the end of the game if i understand it correctly. Sounds interesting...
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2017, 08:28:31 AM »
When the third such meeple is placed on this space (on the top of the other two acrobats) — thus forming a pyramid of acrobats - the acrobat pyramid is finished but not scored in this turn.
OK, that makes sense to build a pyramid.
The player can score the acrobat pyramid even if he has not an own acrobat in the pyramid.

Thanks for clarifications, kettlefish!
Oh - there are still more rules and it can be interesting to score the acrobat from the other player if you don't like that the other player would get the points for the circus tent...

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2017, 09:06:29 AM »
It can make sense for various reasons. For example if the pyramid is located in the vicinity of your castle(s) (by the way, how many points do you get for your castle then? 15?), or your robber (on the scoring board) is standing next to the player who has the most acrobats in the pyramid.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2017, 02:33:33 PM »
Looking forward to punching the tiles and giving it a go.  I'd be scared to make a pyramid while playing with MrNumbers or Jere, they're pretty good at trapping a meeple on a cloister.  Trapping two or three meeple in one go might be a nice target.

It also sounds like it's not possible to complete a Pyramid if you are playing with German Castles....The pyramid must be surrounded by 8-tiles.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »
Video here:

Offline Ry4Christ

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2017, 06:13:32 PM »
Looking forward to punching the tiles and giving it a go.  I'd be scared to make a pyramid while playing with MrNumbers or Jere, they're pretty good at trapping a meeple on a cloister.  Trapping two or three meeple in one go might be a nice target.

It also sounds like it's not possible to complete a Pyramid if you are playing with German Castles....The pyramid must be surrounded by 8-tiles.

I assume a German Castle would count as two tiles for this purpose, as they do for cloisters, yes?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2017, 02:54:52 AM »
I assume a German Castle would count as two tiles for this purpose, as they do for cloisters, yes?

This seems like another good situation where it would be sensible to count the German Castles as 2 tiles rather than 1. Sense doesn’t really come into it though. I guess we’ll see what HiG have to say about it, if indeed they’re prepared to comment...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2017, 03:06:50 AM »

This seems like another good situation where it would be sensible to count the German Castles as 2 tiles rather than 1. Sense doesn’t really come into it though. I guess we’ll see what HiG have to say about it, if indeed they’re prepared to comment...

I have tried to remove all traces of the 2 tiles vs 1 tile German Castles debate from my memory. But in this I agree completely with Dan.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTS or Trade: Expansion 10 - Under the Big Top (Factory Sealed)

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2018, 11:17:25 AM
by asp204
xx
The 10th expansion (Under the Big Top) - poll

Started by jungleboy

32 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 12:56:54 PM
by jungleboy
question
Under the Big Top question