Author Topic: Import fees when buying from Amazon European stores?  (Read 2998 times)

Offline AdamJBavier

• Villein
  • Merit: 3
  • Maybe time to slow my orders...
    • View Profile
Import fees when buying from Amazon European stores?
« on: April 19, 2017, 12:45:26 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone in the US has got hit with import fees when buying Carcassonne or other games from the different Amazons located in Europe?

I bought two orders from Amazon.it of old artwork games.  They were shipped with the UPS i parcel tracking.  Just wondering if I'm going to be getting some huge import tax bill from UPS or similar?  The order totals were 65 and 95 Euros.

Hopefully I'll be able to post a nice picture in the mailman thread.  Bought some expansions for my self and for my parents.  Parents were wanting some new tile layouts.  I have coming in Tower, Catapult, Dragon(x2), King, Big Box 5, Winter, Abbtei.  First 3 are for me and the rest for the parents which should give them more tiles  8):orange-meeple:

Only expansion I really want is Belagerer, but after the most recent ebay sale at $75 I'm resigning to the fact I should put that money towards a printer to print out the fan expansions.  Also I kind of want to try drawing my own tiles that have a city under attack.  They need some flames, oil spills, people in the city fighting back and so on...

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3263.0

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: Import fees when buying from Amazon European stores?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »
I have purchased from the Amazon UK, the Italian Ebay, and various German stores and was never charged import fees.  In fact, some sellers give us a discount because we don't have a VAT tax. 

Out of curiousity, how much is the Big Box 5 shipped?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:00:20 PM by dirk2112 »

Offline JoeSesquipedalian

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 03:05:35 PM »
I just got 2 maneje Frei expansion 10 From Amazon.de shipped to United States.   I got both together for under $38USD total , including tax, shipping and currency conversion.  Plus, when you check out, it will remove the VAT.  I did have to try various sellers and try checking out (without finalizing the purchase) several times to check actual shipping prices.  Not the easiest way, but it worked and I got each copy for less than $20.  It's my 4th overall order from Amazon.de.  Just be prepared to wait.  I had 2 shipments arrive in about 10 days, but the other two took nearly a month.   
Who got a smudge on the tile?

Offline AdamJBavier

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 11:41:44 PM »
Here is the link to the United Games Big Box 5 on Amazon.it http://amzn.eu/hf9aXXF

I'm only human, so follow the following guide to get this as cheap as possible with minimal fees with the understanding I may be wrong, but I think I'm right. 

1st you want to make sure you are using a credit card that doesn't have foreign transaction fees tacked on when you charge the Euro cost to it.  Do a search on your credit card name plus foreign transaction fees and make sure it says "no fees".  Otherwise you might be looking at 5 to 10% tacked on top.

2nd on the Amazon.it checkout page, click change payment method and choose your credit card, then right under the card name, choose "change card currency". and set that to Euros.  Remember to set that back to USD when you order on normal Amazon.com.  This to the best of my understanding will result in you only have the straight currency conversion fee from your no foreign transaction fee credit card.

With the Amazon Global Priority shipping of approximately 10 days Big Box 5 comes to a total of 56.60 Euros.  33.60 for the game and 23 for the shipping.  AmazonGlobal Quick shipping which is 2 or 3 days makes the shipping 37.20.

The base shipping cost to the USA is 14ish Euros per order plus 3 euros per KG - These are from Amazon.de I can't find the exact breakdown on Amazon.it for the slower shipping method.  So it makes sense to buy more than one game box at a time to spread the shipping costs out.   :(y)

For Example I ordered 3 games Big Box 5 (33.60) plus Count, King andRobber(9.75) plus Winter Carcassonne (20.48), for a base cost of 63 euros plus 28.72 shipping for a grand total of 92.55 euros.  Arguable if the price for the 2nd two are really a great deal when shipping is added in, but in the US they are out of print.  My expectation is that the charge to my credit card will be right around $99 plus or minus a few cents.

Edit: I'll make sure to reply back here if I ever do end up with a bill for import fees.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:58:35 PM by AdamJBavier, Reason: regarding replying back »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 02:36:38 AM »
It's the otherway round here but often when I purchase on amazon.com it charges duty up front.  At least that way I don't have to pay another £8 for no reason at all  :(y)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 04:02:57 AM »
Thanks Adam! :(y)

Unfortunately they don't take Discover which is the only card I have without the foreign transaction fee.   I have most of what is in the box, now I have to figure out if it is worth $64 for WoF and River III.  My FLGS has a used copy of WoF for $50. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:19:50 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline AdamJBavier

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:25:09 AM »
Amazon has a "Currency Converter" service which you can turn on that will convert the Euro charge to your local payment type (USD in my case) when it charges your CC.  I'm not sure if that has to be turned on on each Amazon site, or if it is a global account setting.  It is possible Amazon has a lower rate than your credit card that charges foreign transaction fees, but it would have to be closely compared.

Otherwise maybe it is time to signup for a new credit card just for Carcassonne foreign purchases.   >:D   O0

Amazon Currency Converter: https://www.amazon.com/Currency-Converter/b?ie=UTF8&node=388305011

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
€10 off at Amazon.de

Started by Folkydokey

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2018, 02:42:26 PM
by Rosco
xx
Goldrush on Amazon for 7€

Started by Murphy013

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2020, 02:06:14 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Android Carcassonne: 16 March 2015 - Amazon free app of the day

Started by Joff

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2015, 11:10:32 AM
by kettlefish
xx
Carcassonne: Amazon Free App of the Day 12/3/13 (Android)

Started by evmillan

0 Replies
Last post December 03, 2013, 03:24:19 PM
by evmillan
xx
Amazon UK Big Box < £35 delivered

Started by cicerunner

5 Replies
Last post February 21, 2021, 05:46:58 AM
by PurpleMeeple