Author Topic: What do you think of Miniature Games?  (Read 5849 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: What do you think of Miniature Games?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 09:42:57 AM »
Those are some excellent prepainted minis. Far better than I was expecting having read your post via email with images. I guess the biggest issue might be that the majority of hobbyists would rather be able to customise their own models, rather than take whay comes in the box; as a result it's better to not spent the money on getting quality, reliable painters.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 03:28:18 PM »
Snakes and Ladders [...] with a selection of miniatures?
Prime example for this would be Monopoly Gamer. It was in the "hotness" for weeks at BGG, and is at 6.6 imho still quite overrated for what a piece of crap it actually is. It seems there are mainly two reasons, why people rate it so high. First, because it (normally) plays quicker then regular Monopoly, and second because the "cool prepainted minis". I agree, they look very nice, but based on one abandoned game I had, it was really boring, and potentially can drag for ever. And the minis did nothing for me to make it more fun. If you can normally play it in 45 minutes, the game will still suck in my opinion. So why playing it in the first? This is no redeeming factor in my opinion, to play a bad game, just because it is short(er) and has some miniatures.

I don't mind miniatures in general, though I agree, that detailed standies might look better then gray minis. And I would never paint them. Not quite true, I did paint them in case of War of the Ring, but just monochrome in the colours of the different people, which was still a hell of a work for me, but necessarily, because otherwise the game would have been simply unplayable. It is still very fiddly, and one of the main reasons is, that there are to many minis and to small spaces on the board for them. Game would be much easier to play with less figurines, and some stackable discs. But even though they went the extra mile and made figurines for all army pieces, it is totally beyond my reasoning, why they didn't make them in the appropriate colours out of the box.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 01:06:31 AM by Hounk »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 09:11:35 AM »
Chooselife, do you have any examples of the standees you life from games?

Can anyone think of games that have standees & miniatures - if so which do you use?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Abbey & Mayor (Old Art) on clearance on Miniature Market

Started by Mikeagan

1 Replies
Last post October 16, 2022, 02:41:22 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
GQ11 mini expansion on Miniature Market

Started by CKorfmann

0 Replies
Last post April 01, 2018, 12:00:44 PM
by CKorfmann
clip
Does somebody still think that this game have simple setup?

Started by Bumsakalaka

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2022, 12:00:35 PM
by kothmann
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Are You Italian? Why didn't you tell me!

Started by aenima

5 Replies
Last post September 07, 2018, 10:57:12 PM
by aenima