Author Topic: New Complete Annotated Rules  (Read 22775 times)

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
New Complete Annotated Rules
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:12:57 PM »
Santa does exist! And he came a few days early!

Yes, you read the heading correctly. It's been more than half a year, but here it is: the new CAR! Lots of clarifications, a revised Turn Order, the Halflings, the Promos, and even a bit of New Carcassonne. But wait, there's more! If you order now, you'll get this limited edition* Winter CAR containing new clarifications and Turn Order at no extra charge.

Standard CAR: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=275

Winter CAR: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=276

*Edition not actually limited.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1360.0

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: New Complete Annotated Rules
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:22:58 PM »
Hi obervet,
thank you for the new S-CAR v 7.3 and W-CAR v 1.2.

Now I have much work during the rest of the year with reading this great book.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 02:22:01 PM »
Thank you sir!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:39:14 PM »
Thanks for all your work on this, it's a document that we couldn't do without. And just the other day I was wondering to myself why there wasn't a winter edition CAR - and now we have one! Thanks again.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »
Fantastic work obervet!! What can I say?   :(y) :(y) :(y)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Gerry

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 05:07:49 PM »
I notice that the cover page of the new CAR does not feature an image of the new Carcassonne but has a roman II disguised to look like an arrowslit  window in a tower instead. 

A bit like spelling out D-I-V-O-R-C-E so the kids (or Billy Connolly's Little Dog) wont realize what is happening.

Offline Darwin

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 05:23:56 PM »
Christmas came early this year :D
Grate work obervet :(y) :(y) :(y)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »

Very nice. I've been reading through the new expansions to see how poorly I've been playing them. I still don't know why you skip including Count, King & Cult on the cover, though. I think at this point it makes sense. The combo expansion has been out nearly as long as the individual minis now.

Also, the Dutch Monasteries definitely need some work in the historical descriptions. They're a bit jumbled right now.

Now, back to reading...

Another edit: Two tiles are missing on the tile summary for The River (I).

Further argument for my Count, King & Cult cover point. The King came out in 2003, the Count in 2004, and the River II in 2005. The Cult came out in 2008 alongside the combined expansion. That was six years ago this year. It was only five years between The King and the compilation, and progressively fewer years for the subsequent three expansions. We've definitely reached the point where most modern owners of the game will own the compilation rather than the stand-alone minis. Rio Grande hasn't sold the stand-alones since 2008 or so, and Z-Man has never sold them. They are still available from Cundco, but that's overstock at best. I say we list the four expansions together and begin treating them like any other large expansion.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:07:19 PM by whaleyland »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 01:18:18 AM »
Great stuff overvet, this is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for my Christmas card writing...

Many thanks for all your hard work in continuing to compile this monster document!  :)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 01:48:14 AM »
Thanks for all your work on this, it's a document that we couldn't do without. And just the other day I was wondering to myself why there wasn't a winter edition CAR - and now we have one! Thanks again.

It exist a really long time already!!:P watch the homepage!

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 02:01:09 AM »
This looks very good Obervet!! Well Done!

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 05:14:16 AM »
yeeee!!!  ;D

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 05:44:04 AM »
Very nice. I've been reading through the new expansions to see how poorly I've been playing them. I still don't know why you skip including Count, King & Cult on the cover, though. I think at this point it makes sense. The combo expansion has been out nearly as long as the individual minis now.

Easy answer -- I don't make the covers. You should make an appeal to danielbrie for that.

Also, the Dutch Monasteries definitely need some work in the historical descriptions. They're a bit jumbled right now.

Agreed. I tweaked a couple of the auto translations, but I admit I didn't spend that much time on them this go-around.

Another edit: Two tiles are missing on the tile summary for The River (I).

They're only sort of missing. The plain straight and plain curved river bits are marked with "x2" to account for the functional duplication. Graphically there are minimal differences, as you can see on the newer tiles (since I included them all individually for the Big Box 5 version), but this isn't any different than minimal graphical tweaks on other tiles (different buildings in cities, animal pens on fields, etc).

Further argument for my Count, King & Cult cover point. The King came out in 2003, the Count in 2004, and the River II in 2005. The Cult came out in 2008 alongside the combined expansion. That was six years ago this year. It was only five years between The King and the compilation, and progressively fewer years for the subsequent three expansions. We've definitely reached the point where most modern owners of the game will own the compilation rather than the stand-alone minis. Rio Grande hasn't sold the stand-alones since 2008 or so, and Z-Man has never sold them. They are still available from Cundco, but that's overstock at best. I say we list the four expansions together and begin treating them like any other large expansion.

Good points. That's probably a good project for the spring 2015 version. With HiG's usual release cycles, there are too many releases in the fall for me to put lots of effort into the older sections (other than clarifications). This time the big extra project was the turn order, too. Spring is usually quieter, so consider this rearrangement on my list.

Offline wamboyil

• Vassal
  • Merit: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 06:41:10 AM »
Great job on the new version!

Offline thegreatone3182

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 08:50:34 AM »
Great work!! Quick question- is the order of the expansions in the CAR chronological of release date? I understand the early ones are, but with Darmstadt, Spiel 14, the New Edition, Halflings, etc. all this year, I've gotten a bit confused as to what came out in what order.

Just wanted to clarify the order is correct chronologically. Thanks!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
New Complete Annotated Rules v. 6.4

Started by obervet

33 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 07:30:47 PM
by coyote
exclamation
NEW Complete Annotated Rules

Started by obervet

36 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 04:11:02 AM
by asparagus
xx
Complete Annotated Rules - check these files for answers before asking questions

Started by Scott

0 Replies
Last post February 13, 2013, 05:53:10 PM
by Scott
xx
Complete Annotated Rules v. 6.3 and 1.1

Started by obervet

45 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 03:40:46 AM
by kettlefish
xx
Complete Annotated Rules v. 7.0