Author Topic: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVIII  (Read 23939 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVIII
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2018, 09:05:35 AM »
Q6:
In October, one of our forum members announced that he would be representing Hungary at the Carcassonne world championships despite finishing behind two other competitors at their national championship. Who was this?

This shouldn't have been too taxing for most people and there were a couple of ways of finding out if you didn't instinctively know who CarcC's top Hungarian player is. I know him well as he's one of my top-5 most feared opponents, but I always enjoy a game with him as we've had some fantastic clashes in the past. Who am I talking about? Why, it's Leven (link) of course...

(winning response time was: 55s :o)

We're a quarter of the way through the answers now and it appears that Piet Agoras is absolutely smashing it! I can't say I've noticed any unmarked vans parked outside my house or people following me around and peeping over my shoulder whenever I go anywhere near my laptop, but some of those response times are almost as impressive as they are disturbing! He leads Decar (winner of all previous advent quizes {I think?}) by 4 points and the rest of the field are lagging by at least twice as much again :o. But with the new scoring system it takes nothing more than a badly-timed mishap to change all that, and it's early days yet so stay tuned to see how things pan out...

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2018, 09:06:54 AM »
Just the way my mind works  :))
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2018, 03:10:03 AM »
Q7:
Although the first couple of prototype sets were available to look at in 2016, it wasn't until this year that the exclusive, limited-edition Carcassonne book-boxes were available through the Cundco store. The hefty price tag proved somewhat prohibitive for many of us, but who was the first forum member proud enough to show one of these beauties off via the photos he posted of his own set in November?

He may not have been the first to have bought one of these, but he was the first to announce that he'd done so on the forums and shared some fantastic photos of his special set in the process. Congratulations on your purchase Maj. Frost (link)!

(winning response time was: 4m44s)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2018, 03:17:59 AM »
Q8:
After experiencing some lengthy delays, the final game of the 2017 World Cup of Carcassonne Central was completed in May this year. Dan "the magnificent" isthirty was defeated by 224 points against 206, but who was the eventual winner of this 163-tile, 7-expansion epic clash?

If you haven't already seen it, you can watch the video of our game here:

But anyway, it's the taking part that counts! :'( Congratulations on your well-deserved victory MrNumbers (link)...

(winning response time was: 3m50s)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2018, 03:38:38 AM »
Q9:
Back in October, in an act of extraordinary self-sacrifice and generosity, one of our humble forum members was kind enough to offer us for sale a set of FOUR Carcassonne tiles AND a coaster for a mere 125 Euros. Who was this?

I cranked the sarcasm up to 11 for this one as everyone knows by now how I feel about sales such as these taking place on the forums. There will be news of this in the new year, but for the time being I think it was fairly obvious that the person in question here was Push (link)... >:(

(winning response time was: 45s :o)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2018, 03:53:12 AM »
Q10:
Who made a big announcement on the forums in October, by posting an image of two phantom cases and a red meeple standing on a Carcassonne landscape?

And the dog. Don't forget the dog! There's definitely a dog in that photo, although I wasn't quite sure what it was supposed to be when I first saw it and assumed it to be a pile of sticks. That said, subtlety is often wasted on me and I completely missed the whole purpose of this image until I saw some of the follow-up comments congratulating Decar (and of course Mrs Decar) on their exciting news! (link)

(winning response time was: 2m19s)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2018, 04:21:45 AM »
Q11:
We first heard about a new expansion - the Fruit Bearing Trees - back in March and spent a while discussing the various pros and cons of its release amongst other things (such as Cundco's spare parts service and Decar's Uncle's 80 pots of Quince Jam). One eagle-eyed forum member however spotted two of Monty Python's Knights who say "Ni" hiding in a bush on one of the tiles. Who was this?

wolnic mentioned that there was a Monty Python question in the 2017 Advent Quiz too. I'd completely forgotten about that one, but the answer to both AQ 2017: Q23 and this question was the same: thodekey! (link)...

(winning response time was: 4m27s)

PS - welcome to the quiz thodekey! ;)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2018, 04:32:05 AM »
Q12:
With 2574 replies and over 490 thousand views, our "I love the postman" thread is still going strong after more than four years! Back in August, one forum member in particular was especially pleased to see his postman after he won a prize draw at a boardgame event and had four games including 13 Clues, Flagdash, Jorvik and Legendary Inventors delivered to him. Who was this?

Although I'd never heard of most of these games, it would have been nice to have had some new titles to go on my shelf of shame. Fortunately however, these games went to a much more deserving home and are now proudly owned by none other than... B1nder! (link)

(winning response time was: 44s :o)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2018, 06:35:30 AM »
Q13:
Which forum member expressed their excitement at the prospect of attending the Carcassonne "Scottish Championships" in September, but then fell at the first hurdle when they realised they would be in Spain at the time of the competition?

We didn't hear much about the Scottish Championships (of Carcassonne) as TabletopScot doesn't appear to have stuck around to tell us all about how his convention went. With any luck it'll be on again next year though, so be sure to look out for it in early September (presumably?) and try not to be in Spain at that time. Especially if your name happens to be Rosco (link)...

(winning response time was: 51s :o)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2018, 06:47:09 AM »
Q14:
It already feels like a long time ago, but of all the forum members who had a birthday in February only one of them can say that Decar used his 4600th post to wish him a happy birthday. Who was this?

This birthday was doubly important, because as well as celebrating Decar's 4600th post we were also celebrating the fact that SteveBecameSixty! Many happy returns again TheSteveAllen (link)...

Thanks for all the birthday greeting guys! You have succeeded in making a happy man very old!

;) :(y)

(winning response time was: 7m50s <--- apparently this one was more difficult than I realised! ::))

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2018, 06:59:11 AM »
Q15:
In September I proposed the idea of a collaborative game of Carcassonne where we as a community played a game from the position of one single player against three AI opponents. Thus providing opportunities to share our thoughts, strategies and insights between us as part of the ensuing discussion that evolved as the game progressed. Whilst the idea didn't take off as well as I'd hoped it might, the game is still in play on my iPad so we might come back to it in the new year and pick up where we left off. Anyway, it's not something I would normally have considered, but who was the first to suggest getting an early farmer down once the game was underway?

This question concluded our inadvertent tour of Scotland with a quick visit to the Collaborative Carcassonne thread. Personally I'm not usually a fan of placing early farmers regardless of how many players there are, but apparently I'm in the minority with regards to this key area. Nobody struggled to find the answer to this one; congratulations wolnic! (link)

(winning response time was: 5m53s)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2018, 07:05:53 AM »
Q16:
The UK Carcassonne championships were held in June this year. Despite ranking 17th after the first three rounds of competition, I qualified for the knockout stage as the lowest-seeded player before progressing as far as the semi-final where I was knocked out by another member of Carcassonne Central: JackFace! However, I wasn't the only CarcC member who Jack sent home without a trophy. Who was the other?

I hadn't intended this question to be as tricky as it turned out to be, as there was an obvious answer to it posted clearly on the forums. But I guess that was only obvious to those of you who had actually seen it, and the searching process for those of you who hadn't seen it proved trickier than usual. Anyway, apologies to anyone who struggled with this one, but the answer was: Uhome (link)...

(winning response time was: 11m24s O:-))

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2018, 07:10:08 AM »
... and Riker :P

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2018, 07:17:49 AM »
... and Riker :P

Well, technically since Riker didn't join until November this year he wasn't a member of CarcC when JackFace sent him home.

:P

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2018, 07:21:19 AM »
...and Kay Murray too.

Turns out all 4 people Jack sent home are all CarcC members!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz

Started by danisthirty

93 Replies
Last post February 06, 2016, 11:15:42 AM
by MrNumbers
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVII

Started by danisthirty

104 Replies
Last post February 17, 2018, 07:56:46 AM
by Rich_The_Fish
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXI

Started by Meepledrone

223 Replies
Last post April 11, 2022, 02:20:34 PM
by Bumsakalaka
clip
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXII coming soon...

Started by Meepledrone

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2022, 01:44:55 AM
by Challa007
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXIII

Started by Meepledrone

206 Replies
Last post January 24, 2024, 03:47:00 AM
by Challa007