Author Topic: Carcassonne South Sea - rules questions  (Read 12074 times)

Offline Khonnor

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
    • ~ add me on Facebook ~
Carcassonne South Sea - rules questions
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:16:39 PM »
I bought the English version at Essen and we have some questions, as the English rules seem unclear.

In the turn summary at point 2B it says during a turn you can take a meeple back in your supply from a SEA TILE.
One page later at 2B it says during a turn you can take a meeple back in your supply from the BOARD.

So which is it? Can I only take back a fisherman-meeple when it's my turn, or any meeple?

Also, with the boats. For example, there is a meeple in the sea, but there's no fish yet and I place a tile with the boat, does the meeple need to be removed/scored (even though he would score no fish)?
My answer would be yes.

Different question, there is a sea with lots of fish, but no meeples. If I place a tile with the boat, can I still place a meeple and immediatly score the sea?
My answer would be yes.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=537.0

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne South Sea - rules questions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 01:16:02 PM »
I bought the English version at Essen and we have some questions, as the English rules seem unclear.

In the turn summary at point 2B it says during a turn you can take a meeple back in your supply from a SEA TILE.
One page later at 2B it says during a turn you can take a meeple back in your supply from the BOARD.

So which is it? Can I only take back a fisherman-meeple when it's my turn, or any meeple?

German Rules: 2b. Insulaner zuruecknehmen - you can take back any of the meeple / islanders.

Also, with the boats. For example, there is a meeple in the sea, but there's no fish yet and I place a tile with the boat, does the meeple need to be removed/scored (even though he would score no fish)?
My answer would be yes.

The answer is NO. At page 4 at the bottom there should be a paragraph with Attention! No scoring, if: - no fish in the sea  - a fish is placed to a boat  - a boat is connected with another tile, And if there is no scoring, you don't take your fisherman back.

Different question, there is a sea with lots of fish, but no meeples. If I place a tile with the boat, can I still place a meeple and immediatly score the sea?
My answer would be yes.
YES! This should be the example on page 6.

Offline Khonnor

• Duke
    • View Profile
    • ~ add me on Facebook ~
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »
The answer is NO. At page 4 at the bottom there should be a paragraph with Attention! No scoring, if: - no fish in the sea  - a fish is placed to a boat  - a boat is connected with another tile, And if there is no scoring, you don't take your fisherman back.

Thank you for the reply. In the English rules it says this on page 4:
"Important! A fishing boat can only trigger an evaluation when it is first placed and never during a later turn."

I don't know what the German rules say exactly, but I'm guessing it's another translation mistake.
I still think it makes sense when you place a fishing boat, you have to remove any meeples in that sea region, even if there are not any fish in it yet. If you play with the expansion, you could still get 1 fish this way (even Friday is on that tile). It would also make sense thematically, to return home from fishing with no luck catching a fish. ;-)

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 11:02:51 PM »
Indeed there are subtle differences in the rules:

German rules
Achtung! 
Es wird keine Wertung ausgeloest, wenn:
-  kein Fisch in diesem Meeresgebiet abgebildet ist.
- ein Fisch zu einem Fischerboot gelegt wird.
-  ein Fischerboot durch das Verbinden zweier Meeresgebiete angeschlossen wird.

Attention!
There is no scoring if
- there is no fish in the Sea Region
- a fish is laid in the sea region with fishing boat
- a fishing boat is connected by connecting two sea regions.

2b. Insulaner zuruecknehmen
Setzt der Spieler in seinem Zug keinen Insulaner, so darf er stattdessen einen seiner bereits gesetzten Insulaner
zurueck in seinen Vorrat nehmen. 
Der Spieler darf auch darauf verzichten einen Insulaner einzusetzen oder zurueckzunehmen.

2b. Retrieve an Islander
If a player has zero Islanders in her supply, she may instead retrieve one of her Islanders from the board and return
it to her supply. No Wares or Ships are awarded.
Note: A player may choose to neither place nor retrieve an Islander.

In the german rules a player can retrieve an islander if he doesn't placed an islander in his turn, in the Z-Man rules he can retrieve an islander if he has no islander in his supply. Only the turn summary on page 8 shows that you can only retrieve a islander if you didn't placed one.
1. Place a Sea tile
2a.  Place an Islander
OR
2b. Retrieve an Islander 
      (or neither)
3.  Evaluate completed features
4. Deliver to 1 Ship
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:05:15 PM by Fritz_Spinne »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 11:21:06 PM »
I have moved this to the forums section: official rules.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:05:15 PM »
Sounds like we need our own translation for South Sea, and probably a CAR to include the rules for the Friday mini expansion.

Offline Khonnor

• Duke
    • View Profile
    • ~ add me on Facebook ~
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 05:57:06 AM »
I have uploaded English and Dutch rules (for the expansion) on BGG.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/149901/carcassonne-south-seas-freitag#files

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne south sea - small & large ware tokens?

Started by Windekind

1 Replies
Last post December 02, 2016, 10:50:53 AM
by aenima
xx
South Sea's spare parts

Started by Guy

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2016, 11:20:01 PM
by Halfling
xx
Carcassonne South Seas rules question