Author Topic: Last Meeple Standing: Volunteers Needed!  (Read 70247 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Last Meeple Standing: Volunteers Needed!
« on: July 08, 2015, 08:33:28 AM »

The Last Meeple Standing is an online competition which follows an entirely new format (explained below). Because it's new, I'd like to run a trial with just six players (including myself) to see how well it works and identify any difficulties before trying to run it for a larger group. So if you don't mind being a guinea pig and are keen to get involved then please let me know by posting below.

Rules

1. The competition starts with an even number of players organised into a single group. Each player begins the competition with 50 "Life Points" (LP).

2. The competition is held via a series of rounds. Each round lasts for two weeks during which players must play four basic games (72 tiles) via JCloisterZone. It is the responsibility of the individual players to liaise with their opponents and arrange mutually convenient dates/ times for their games.

3. Fixtures (i.e. games) will be arranged into a Round Robin so that everyone should get to play everyone else at least once, with the exception of those players who are eliminated before they’ve had a chance to do so (and their potential opponents). Fixtures for each upcoming round will be announced at the end of the previous round and each player will get to place the first tile in two of their four games per round.

5. After each game, every player’s LP score is adjusted up or down by an amount corresponding to the points difference in the game between them and their opponent. So, if they won the game their LP will be increased by the winning margin. But if they lost, their LP will be reduced by the winning margin. However, LP scores may be increased to no more than their starting value, so 50 is the maximum LP anyone can have.

6. If a player’s LP is reduced below 0, that player enters the "Danger Zone" (DZ). If there are two or more players in the DZ at the end of any particular round then the two players with the lowest LP are eliminated from the competition. If there are still at least two players in the DZ even after the first two eliminations, the next two players with the lowest LP are also eliminated until there are less than two players left in the DZ. Note however that no eliminations will take place during the first round of the competition meaning that all players will play at least eight games.

7. It is entirely possible for a player to remain in the DZ from one round to the next, provided either that he is the only person in it or if two players enter the DZ with lower LP scores than him. Additionally, it is also entirely possible that a player may enter the DZ but gain back sufficient LP to be able to escape it again by winning subsequent games.

8. If at the end of a round there are no eliminations, all remaining players are stripped of 10 LP at the start of the next round. This rule does not apply to the first round.

9. When all but the last two players have been eliminated, they play as many games between each other as it takes for one of them to enter the DZ (alternating starting player as they do so). This player is immediately eliminated and the other player is the winner; the Last Meeple Standing! 8)

I would like to get started with this as soon as possible. Preferably as early as next Monday. I don’t know how long it will run for, but I’m expecting it to take at least 3 to 4 weeks so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still running in August (albeit with less than 6 players).

Hopefully it’s clear from the rules above that the format relies on everyone being able to play two games per week, and there isn’t much of a contingency plan at the moment for if this doesn’t happen! Therefore, please think carefully before signing up and only do so if you’re generally pretty available and two games per week doesn’t present too much of a timetabling challenge for you...

1. danisthirty  :)
2. jungleboy
3. Paul
4. jma03
5. MrNumbers
6. Jéré
7. Rosco
8. Decar

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1932.0
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:17:47 PM by danisthirty »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Last Meeple Standing: Volunteers Needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
I'm in, of course :)

For scheduling, I'll be available on most weekday evenings (and even some afternoons) over the next couple of months but I'll be away quite a bit on weekends. So if the other opponents are on a similar time zone to me (CET, which is GMT + 1 I think) and can play on weekday evenings, then there'll be no issue at all.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 08:53:56 AM »
I'm in, of course :)

For scheduling, I'll be available on most weekday evenings (and even some afternoons) over the next couple of months but I'll be away quite a bit on weekends. So if the other opponents are on a similar time zone to me (CET, which is GMT + 1 I think) and can play on weekday evenings, then there'll be no issue at all.

Excellent. Welcome aboard jungleboy!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 08:58:54 AM »
Sure, why not. I'm in.  :@
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 09:01:41 AM »

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:04:28 AM »
I can not guarantee the 2 games per week, for this time pass.
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:07:15 AM »
I can not guarantee the 2 games per week, for this time pass.

Sorry quevy. I don't imagine it would be a lot of fun if you're too busy and struggle to find time to play though...

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »
Wonderful,i can.
Good idea
 ;D
When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 10:30:09 AM »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 12:49:09 PM »
Competitive play? Without me? No way! :D
Of course, I am in! :red-meeple:

P.S. One thing to take into account: I will be out of the country from 26.07 till 03.08 (including) with no JCZ access.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:58:08 PM by MrNumbers »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »
Ok, sounds like a lot of fun. I'm in!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »
Any space still?
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 02:14:01 AM »
I'd like to part-take - I know I won't be the Last Man Standing, but I can hope to be the First Man Sitting  :(y)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 08:08:19 AM »
Hi all.

A couple of things:
  • In light of MrNumbers’ revelation that he’s going to be away for a week with no access to JCZ I’ve updated the rules slightly so that we’re no longer playing 2 games per week, we’re playing 4 games per fortnight (2 weeks). This doesn’t represent a significant departure from the original rules but does allow him to join in provided he can squeeze his 4 games into 1 week during the period that he's away.
  • I’ve increased the number of participants from 6 to 8 so as to accommodate everyone who expressed an interest.
As long as everyone’s happy with this, we will start the trial next Monday 13th July. I will post an update here, including fixtures, before then.  :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:10:23 AM by danisthirty »

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 10:06:53 AM »
GREAT¡¡
 :(y)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
CC Ladder - Volunteers Needed

Started by Decar

31 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 03:45:31 PM
by danisthirty
question
1 Gold Meeple 1 Silber Meeple 1 Bronce Meeple

Started by nili3000042

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2022, 07:46:56 AM
by Halfling
xx
Large meeple vs. small meeple farmers

Started by rbanks88

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2021, 12:18:24 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
WTB: The Collector’s Case, Plushie Meeple, Jelly Meeple, etc.

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post December 21, 2020, 06:07:08 AM
by asp204
xx
Crop circles: is itpossible to add more than one meeple close to another meeple?

Started by carca82

2 Replies
Last post July 31, 2022, 12:56:35 PM
by Meepledrone