Poll

What is your likely purchase activity regarding the Under the Big Top (Circus) expansion?

I'm looking forward to it and I will buy it (I already own stuff in the new edition)
20 (30.3%)
I'm looking forward to it and I will buy it (it will be my first purchase in the new edition)
5 (7.6%)
I'm not that excited about it but I will buy it anyway
11 (16.7%)
I'm waiting for Big Box 6
5 (7.6%)
I'm not interested in it and I won't buy it
18 (27.3%)
Other (please explain)
7 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: The 10th expansion (Under the Big Top) - poll  (Read 10841 times)

Offline bmullengb

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: The 10th expansion (Under the Big Top) - poll
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »
I'm looking forward to this. Even though the modern concept of a circus is 18th century, the general idea of a travelling troupe of performers goes well before that. The historical roman circuses was all about showing off animals and gladiatorial skills.

I know quite a few RPGs including the Might & Magic series featured circuses as part of their plots.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »
Anyone else wish this were a Merchants & Troubadours expansion instead? I mean, ringmasters and the tents could just be replaced with merchants and town markets. The Troubadours could be the silly pyramid mechanic. I feel this was poorly themed and thought out and could have been implemented much better.

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 10:15:49 PM »
I voted not interested and not buying. I almost voted "Other" because there's a slight possibility I'll someday buy a few meeples and print out a hypothetical fan-made Carcassonne 1.0 version if someone made it (or DIY it some other way), but I highly doubt I ever will.

With T&B now in my collection, I think my Carcassonne purchasing is probably done. Like some others have said, I feel like I have plenty of Carcassonne variety (especially with randomizer cards!) and I'd rather use that money on other board games at this point.
Fan Expansions: Fiefs | Labyrinths | Schoolhouses | Vistas
Poetry Website: michaelstalcup.com

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 11:50:55 PM »
I kinda feel like I've completed my (1st edition) collection  so I'm happy without. Having said that, in a few years time, if I see a 2nd edition big box featuring multiple completely new expansions for a very cheap price................maybe.

+1 to this.

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 01:15:35 AM »
WIll instantly buy BB6, just hope it will contain this expansion but I'am almost sure it will, we have example with last big box and sheep and hill, and I think evern before there was always the last releases included.

Next step: Complete V1 and V2 :)
Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 01:27:15 AM »
Anyone else wish this were a Merchants & Troubadours expansion instead? I mean, ringmasters and the tents could just be replaced with merchants and town markets. The Troubadours could be the silly pyramid mechanic. I feel this was poorly themed and thought out and could have been implemented much better.

Couldn't agree more, Whaleyland!  That theme would be way more fitting, either in the historical sense as in a aesthetic sense. 
So, I will not buy this expansion either.  I'll focus on adding those few mini-expansions still missing in my V1-collection.

Offline Khonnor

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
    • ~ add me on Facebook ~
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 04:24:47 AM »
I feel like there's missing an option, so I choose OTHER.

I am interested in the expansion, but won't buy it since it's not in the old art and I don't have anything in new art and won't get anything in new art. :blue-meeple:

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 05:49:33 AM »
Oh well, naturally more and more expansions will come out and be only available in the new art. I guess the amount of expansions will ultimately reach a threshold and I'll start the new edition, but I'm not sure when. Maybe big box 6? Really don't know.

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 12:48:14 AM »

Couldn't agree more, Whaleyland!  That theme would be way more fitting, either in the historical sense as in a aesthetic sense. 
So, I will not buy this expansion either.  I'll focus on adding those few mini-expansions still missing in my V1-collection.

I agree too! This is the winner, right here: an old-art-style fan-expansion version with Under the Big Top's rules but a Merchants & Troubadours theme. :(y) :(y)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 10:14:53 AM »
The most interesting thing to me about the vote so far is that only one person said they didn't own anything in Carcassonne II but were looking forward to getting this expansion. In previous discussions about Carcassonne II, some people said they wouldn't buy anything until unique expansions came out. Apart from the watchtower mini-expansion (and Japanese temples which doesn't really count), this is the first unique expansion for Carcassonne II. But it doesn't appear to be getting those who were hesitant about v2 on board.

Offline orangeperil1

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 09:24:26 AM »
 :)

Well I have 95% of the original Carcassonne games but if this is only coming out in the new artwork I am going to buy it to use occasionally.

I don't like the new artwork particularly and won't be buying the second eition.  I have the Winter edition though. I have the catapult so may adapt to use. 

Five bought with one to keep!  Nice for Easter as I am eating chocolate year round!

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 12:05:04 AM »
Whilst the completionist in me will want this, even if this came out in the old artwork I probably wouldn't buy it!

I like how Z Man have tried to add some new flavours to the game, but I feel that they missed the mark. The theme of the expansion doesn't seem to go well with Carcassonne as a whole and seems a bit disjointed.
If only I had another Halfling.....

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 02:48:04 PM »
Just can't get into the new art. I thought it might grow on me after a while, but yesterday I was googling some river images, saw a thumbnail that looked a little odd, clicked to zoom in and then realized it was the CII river. I was sorta slightly shocked all over again at how childish and cartoony it looked. The new style has more detail, but less artistry, less character, and much less soul. My delicious homemade lemonade is being replaced with bright green Kool-Aid.

So I have to hold the line. We vote with our dollars, and I'm not going to vote for a visual downgrade. (Plus, the more anachronistic these expansions become, the less I care about them.)
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 05:02:58 AM »
Just can't get into the new art. I thought it might grow on me after a while, but yesterday I was googling some river images, saw a thumbnail that looked a little odd, clicked to zoom in and then realized it was the CII river. I was sorta slightly shocked all over again at how childish and cartoony it looked. The new style has more detail, but less artistry, less character, and much less soul. My delicious homemade lemonade is being replaced with bright green Kool-Aid.

So I have to hold the line. We vote with our dollars, and I'm not going to vote for a visual downgrade. (Plus, the more anachronistic these expansions become, the less I care about them.)

The nail on the head. It baffles me every time as well.

"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 05:16:38 AM »

Amen to that!   Couldn't agree more.  It started with Japanese Temples in the area of Carcassonne...  Say again????

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei

Started by totor66

221 Replies
Last post September 30, 2017, 06:50:44 AM
by Decar
xx
WTS or Trade: Expansion 10 - Under the Big Top (Factory Sealed)

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2018, 11:17:25 AM
by asp204
xx
10th big expansion for Carcassonne announced

Started by Elfew

17 Replies
Last post February 25, 2016, 08:53:14 PM
by CKorfmann
question
Under the Big Top question