Author Topic: Tides of Time  (Read 7458 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Tides of Time
« on: February 15, 2016, 05:51:03 AM »
The very lovely and wonderful Mrs_danisthirty bought me two new games at the weekend (I wish I'd thought of starting an Amazon wish list years ago!): Castles of Burgundy and Tides of Time. I mentioned before that I’d played Castles of Ron Burgundy but Tides of Time was completely new to me.

We haven’t played it yet, but I’ve had a read through the rules and I can’t wait to get it to the table. I just thought I’d post here as I’m interested to know if anyone else here has already played this, and if so, what they think of it?

:blue-meeple:

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2451.0

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Tides of Time
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 10:30:40 AM »
I decided to go shopping yesterday - it was initially a bad idea because the Rugby was on; but it turned out ok because the streets were empty during the game.  The best part of 90 minutes of carefree shopping.  I had a mission.  Get a copy of 7Wonders:Duel.  As you've probably guessed from this title, I didn't find it and decided to go for this miniature 2-player deckbuilder instead - Tides of Time

It's inexpensive and didn't take very long to play, under 15 minutes.  The rules were pretty straightforward too, and there's a nice Watch it Played Video by Rodney Smith, which I had seen previously.

The game only contains 18 cards (and a reference card).  The game is split over 3 rounds, at the start of each road, a player is dealt a hand of 5 cards.  Players take it in turns to pick one card; then swap the remaining with the other player.  This goes on until no cards are left.  Then scoring occurs - each card belongs to one of 5 suites and each has a scoring power .  For example: Score 3VP for each Castle, or score 5VPs for the majority of Crowns.  A few cards don't have a suite and others have special rules like: 'Wins ties' which is helpful for completing majorities!  Each suit only has 3 cards in it which is probably key to mastering the game.

After scoring, players choose one card to keep for the next round and the the second round begins drafting 5 cards again.

After 3 rounds, the player with the most VPs is victorious.  It's really simple, the rule book has some tight examples with the more complex card mechanics.  Game play was quick too.

I've not played enough to really judge, but in theory you know all but one of the cards after you've picked your first, so it's about optimising certain choices and probably guessing the other player's card, based on their choice.  The game only has 18 cards, so it feels like it's almost manageable.

It started off ok for me, in the second round I was holding on in there.  In the final Round my wife scored 13VP for having one of each card and then an extra 24VP because she had majority in 3 different suites, with only one card; The tie breaker card really kicked me there!

It's probably deemed a filler, but I can see several games being played if you like the deck building mechanic.  It's quite fun passing 4 cards to your opponent and hoping you get the 3 back you wanted.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Tides of Time
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 10:33:12 AM »
It's definitely worth a play, only took about 10 minutes - some nice choices to be had.  Thumbs up from me - I don't think it will be a 7 Wonders: Duel beater, but much quicker to play!

:gray-meeple:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:38:42 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 topics »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »
Off on holiday tomorrow morning. Tides of Time has been packed. Hopefully we can compare notes in a weeks time! ;)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »
We managed to play on our laps with a dog between us (she's allowed on the sofa).  I suspect you could play it almost anywhere!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 03:10:58 PM »

Off on holiday tomorrow morning. Tides of Time has been packed. Hopefully we can compare notes in a weeks time! ;)

Have a good trip! Where are you going and are you bringing any other games?

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 04:32:36 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts. I have copy of this in the mail. Looking forward to playing it.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 02:32:45 AM »

Have a good trip! Where are you going and are you bringing any other games?

Thanks. Currently making a pit stop on our way to Centre Parcs in Longleat. So nowhere too exciting or extravagant but the kids love it and we always have a good time there.

Haven't brought Carcassonne! But we do have Castles of Burgundy, 7 Wonders: Duel, Flip City, Tides of Time, Monopoly Deal, Zombies!, Zombie Fluxx and Zombie Dice. Not expecting to play all of them buy we shall see...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:08:22 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 03:34:19 PM »
Tides of Time has been on my list for a while. Nearly asked for it at Christmas, but went for Between Two Cities instead as it has more depth. I'd been thinking of buying this at our meet up next month (rather than getting 7 Wonders Duel for my birthday, as it looks a little complex to play with Lukey-Dukey). I'm interested to hear how you get on with it.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 05:02:46 AM »
'Between Two Cities', is definitely a bigger game - it doesn't look great two players though - would love to hear your thoughts on this too (possibly a different thread)!

I ordered 7 Wonders: Duel from a shop in Durham and it came with the Essen Wonder too - yay! It should be here today/tomorrow.

I'm sure they'll have a demo copy of ToT - otherwise I can bring my copy and you can try it  :(y)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 04:34:48 PM »
'Between Two Cities', is definitely a bigger game - it doesn't look great two players though - would love to hear your thoughts on this too (possibly a different thread)!
Very briefly here then, the different 2 player rules were the deciding factor in buying it - check out Game Boy Geek's review (from 14:09 onwards in particular)
I could bring it with me if you'd like a game?

I'm sure they'll have a demo copy of ToT - otherwise I can bring my copy and you can try it  :(y)
Thanks for the offer, but I've already made my mind up and emailed them this lunchtime to see if I could buy it online and pick it up when we visit (I'm conscious it's over a month away).

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 04:55:19 PM »
Damn it, it sounds quite good.  I watched the GameNight video for it and I wasn't taken. But the 2player might be interesting.  I'll ask Thirsty Meeple if they have a demo copy when I ring them in a few days. Thanks Rich!

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 05:53:16 PM »
Damn it, it sounds quite good.  I watched the GameNight video for it and I wasn't taken. But the 2player might be interesting.  I'll ask Thirsty Meeple if they have a demo copy when I ring them in a few days. Thanks Rich!
I'm not sure if they do as it's not listed on their website, but they do sell it for a pretty reasonable £23 should you decide to go for it. Let me know if you'd like me to bring my copy.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Long time over-du

Started by coldhands

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2021, 11:43:23 PM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
HiG coupon. 25 Euro. limited time.

Started by Allograft

0 Replies
Last post November 28, 2021, 01:59:15 PM