Author Topic: Kill Yourself or Die Trying: Zombicide (Grindhouse Scenario)  (Read 5538 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Kill Yourself or Die Trying: Zombicide (Grindhouse Scenario)
« on: April 12, 2016, 04:54:49 AM »
This was a game that didn't go very well for me. But considering that my primary weapon at the start of the game was a frying pan and I still managed to kill numerous zombies and carry out various acts of extreme heroism, I'd say I did pretty well up until my final turn. Indeed, I think the intricate mechanics of the game were so clever and finely-tuned that they actually rendered the plastic zombie figures capable of rational thought to such a degree that they conspired together and planned to eliminate the player that they saw as the most dangerous threat to their survival. I'm not one to blow my own trumpet (which makes me wonder why I ever even bought a trumpet) but obviously, given my experience and natural aptitude for slaying zombies, this was always going to be me...

Zombicide is a co-operative game for up to 6 players. Each player takes control of an individual character, complete with a personal inventory and special abilities, and spends a set number of action and/ or movement turns each round navigating their way around a zombie-infested landscape. You pick up weapons and additional equipment and power-ups as you explore, and gain experience points with every zombie you kill. Exceeding certain XP thresholds can enhance your character in terms of what he or she is able to do, but it also makes the game harder by increasing the number and ferocity of the zombies that get added to the board at the end of each round.

The game is played via scenarios which can be constructed according to the rule book using some of the many different boards, tiles and tokens that come with the base set. Each scenario is set out in a different way and has specific objectives which must be met in order to win the game. The scenario we played involved two large buildings which we had to break into and fight our way through in order to destroy the two zombie sources, but there were several to choose from depending on number of players and time available to complete our mission (in our case, not much).

As a group, our first failure was a flaw in our strategy as much as anything else. Clearing out the first building was surprisingly easy since all four of us stormed it at once and didn't let ourselves worry too much about what was happening in the other building as it continued to fill with zombies. Walkers, runners, fattys (the three different types of zombie); they were all there but we didn't care as they couldn't get out and we had vague plans to throw a Molotov cocktail into the room. Surely this would kill them all with ease, but the absence of a pivotal component in this plan - the Molotov cocktail - thwarted us somewhat. Whilst we could have spent the rest of the game searching the same room repeatedly for petrol (and increasing our supply of water and flashlights as we did so), it seemed like a rather dull way of seeing out the game. Especially for David who was already dead.

Since I'd managed to find two shotguns and a fire axe on my journey thus far, I made my way over to the door of the second building and attempted to hack it open. My first attempt failed but I still had enough actions to try again and was successful the next time I tried. The opening of the door triggered a dramatic increase in the number of zombies inside the building, but all being well, I still had enough actions to move away from the door and dual-wield my shotguns again, ready to roll 16 dice (4 rolls of 4 dice) with my next turn before backing off if necessary and attacking the horde a second time if Lex and Richard weren't quite manly enough to finish off whatever I left behind. This was MY plan. However, all wasn't well...

The random drawing of a "Zombies get an extra turn" card while David was still re-populating the second building following my breaking down of the door meant that a room full of zombies spilt out of the building and onto the street a turn earlier than they should have done. I was standing there waiting for them, but couldn't move away (my spare movement couldn't be used as I was now sharing a space with about 15 zombies and wasn't "slippery") and didn't have enough action points left to do anything useful. Faced with little option other than to stand and fight, I bravely killed two of the zombies but the rest were undeterred by this and swarmed over me at the end of the round. Because I'd been injured earlier in the game (most likely saving Lex or Richard from certain death and being very heroic and modest about it in the process), I didn't survive. And despite being nearly drowned by several gallons of water and then having bright lights shone on them, the zombies somehow survived Lex's vicious onslaught and then killed him too, as he'd been wounded earlier in the game by a zombie who objected to his incessant searching and popped up out of a pile of rags to surprise him.

It's very easy to point fingers and play the "blame game"... so let's do that. Firstly I blame David for being dead in the first place and letting the team down. I'd also like to blame Richard for being hopeless with his pistols and rarely hitting anything despite getting to role two dice with every attack right from the start of the game. Mostly though, I'd like to blame Lex because it's always most fun blaming him and he always seems to take it personally. I'd also like to mention though, because I haven't mentioned it enough already, just how brilliant I was on my second (or third) turn of the game when I bravely dashed into a building to rescue a helpless David and Lex by smashing a zombie in the face with a frying pan. A frying pan. What are the odds of having three chances to roll a six with one dice, and managing it on your third attempt? That's right, about infinity billion to one! But I still managed it. How either of them could continue with the game after such a humiliating rescue is beyond me, but on the other side of the building, Richard was bravely backing himself into a corner whilst firing his nerf guns at a small horde of zombies. Unable to kill the fatty, I immediately dashed to his aid and thwacked it with a fire axe in another act of ill-advised but ultimately successful heroism the likes of which couldn't be replicated by any of my fellow players.

But despite our somewhat disastrous attempt to save the world on this occasion, there was a lot that I really enjoyed about Zombicide. I like co-operative games that have a strong theme anyway, but there's nothing quite like spending a lunchtime immersed in a world of post-apocalyptic terror with a group of like-minded colleagues. Ignoring the moments of hilarious misfortune and ineptitude, it was quite atmospheric and there was genuine tension at points as we discussed how best to deal with the next emerging crisis. The complexity of the rules got a little difficult to follow at some points, and we had to house-rule a couple of situations where it wasn't clear what the official ruling would be. This slowed us down a little at times, as did the moving and "topping-up" the zombies in play at the end of each round, but this never felt superfluous or unnecessary and as such our decent into oblivion was surprisingly well-paced.

Hopefully we'll get round to playing the Grindhouse scenario again sometime, and hopefully we'll be a bit more successful at it next time! But with so many more scenarios to try out I know this is a game that we're going to be playing again soon (if David lets us), and I'm already looking forward to it...

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2611.0
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:45:57 PM by danisthirty »

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: Kill Yourself or Die Trying: Zombicide (Grindhouse Scenario)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 05:35:28 AM »
We have played and successfully conquered the first 5 scenarios of the base game.  We haven't done this one yet.  The "Zombies Get Another Turn" card has been our undoing on several scenarios.  The scenarios where all of your members have to survive are by far the hardest.  On the others, it is almost always better to sacrifice one of your people so that the other folks can get the objectives safely.  I have never successfully killed anything with the frying pan.  The fire axe and the katana are my go to weapons. 

As far as cooperative games go, this one is quite different.  After winning Forbidden Island or Pandemic usually there are high fives and everyone is happy.  This game can be so draining that you are just glad it is over.  Normally someone doesn't really go along with the group so there is finger pointing both during and after the game.  Also, Wanda (the girl on rollerskates) is the best.  We all fight over who gets to be Wanda. 

We don't own any of the expansions, nor are we interested in getting them.  We like this game, but it doesn't hit the game table enough. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:37:00 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 05:51:33 AM »
I'll read the report later when I get home. See if the game is still obtainable here. I bought some expansions for silly prices at many local stores during sales. Mainly because I'm a tile addict.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 08:16:35 AM »
+1 for your awesome reporting Dan, bad luck we'll have to call you DanisZombie now!

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:58:07 AM »
All hail the frying pan. Brilliant report, merit.

What would you guys and girls choose, Pandemic or this one?
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
+1 for your awesome reporting Dan, bad luck we'll have to call you DanisZombie now!

Thanks! :) :(y)

All hail the frying pan. Brilliant report, merit.

Thanks also! We've played 4 or 5 times now and I'm proud of the fact that I'm still the only person to have killed a zombie with a frying pan!

Pandemic is definitely a great game, although Pandemic Legacy seems to be a more popular choice at the moment based on feedback I've seen on the BGG Facebook group. However, as clever as the mechanics are I do find the theme a little boring and would much rather be blasting my way around zombie-filled streets than jetting around the world trying to rid the world of coloured cubes.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 10:04:26 AM »

I have to play Pandemic a few more times before I can give my opinion.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 08:05:02 AM »
We have played Pandemic twice since my last post.

My wife will tell you that Pandemic is the better game.  She loves it.  She wants Pandemic Legacy and I may get that for her birthday since I can't get the Chocolate expansion for Cacao.

My son likes both games.  He is 7, so take that for what it is.  He prefers the zombie game for the components and theme.

I like both games, but I don't love either.  There are a ton of zombie games out there.  Too many to try actually, so I am not sure if this is one of the better ones or not.  We have the original Pandemic.  There are tons of other Pandemic games (including Legacy which is the highest ranked game on BGG).  Because of all that, I can't recommend either game.  You should definitely try before you buy.   

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Spy or Die Trying

Started by Scott

3 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 05:41:44 PM
by Scott
xx
A copy of "Die Belagerer" for either "Die Katharer" or "Die Kornkreise I"

Started by Hylian87

3 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 03:04:52 PM