Author Topic: 2017 Basegame League - Round 5  (Read 9162 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
2017 Basegame League - Round 5
« on: March 15, 2017, 10:12:00 AM »
ROUND 5

Start date: Now! (15th March 2017 - we missed a day as I needed time to gather all the stats from the last round and feed back into the database etc)
End date: 28th March 2017 - any matches not played by the end of this date will be forfeited... :( :(n)
(parent thread)

Match 33: What If? vs. Marcos (forfeited - win for What If?)
Match 34: Rich_The_Fish vs. TheSteveAllen (tie)
Match 35: khalidqasrawi vs. Rosco (2 - 0 to khalidqasrawi)
Match 36: Hounk vs. Leven (2 - 0 to Leven)
Match 37: Halfling vs. glh510 (2 - 0 to glh510)
Match 38: Chooselife vs. Adrornalin (2 - 0 to Chooselife)
Match 39: MrNumbers vs. Merlin_89 (2 - 0 to Merlin_89)
Match 40: danisthirty vs. Jéré (tie)

Please use this thread to post scores, screenshots and post-match reports. Good luck everyone!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3213.0
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:38:00 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Merlin_89

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Basegame League - Round 5
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 03:17:46 PM »
Indeed Dan... It's a BIGGIE!:D Top of the table won't look the same after this.

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
  • Merit: 9
  • Never deplete - always complete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 02:52:17 AM »
Game 1 Rosco  :black1-meeple: 83 : 98  :red-meeple: khalidqasrawi
Game 2 khalidqasrawi  :red-meeple: 106 : 94  :black1-meeple: Rosco

Game 1
Farming and trapping, always ready for some of that action.  Pretty much most times in both games that I made a city, Rosco joined in.  I didn't technically trap many of his meeples but he had lots of specific tile requirements which did not go his way.  In the end, I had farmers dotted about whilst he was working with not enough meeples.  Most of the game it felt like it was going my way but Rosco was creeping up dangerously closely at the end.

Game 2
I think this one must have been quite annoying for Rosco.  He looked like a clear winner most of the way through.  I was tired and not concentrating too well.  This time he made an early foray onto the main farm whilst I languished without real strategy through the middle game.  My lack of energy paid dividends!  With 20 tiles to go, I had 5 meeples and pushed my way onto the main farm,  also with enough capacity to bag some rather large ignored city fragments.  I probably took the game in the last few tiles.  Sorry Rosco. :(

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
  • Merit: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 05:14:01 AM »
next round, next games. these two base games were maybe the fastest base games in history. we nearly finished a game within five minutes or so ;D my thinking time was probably zero miliseconds each turn. but that is not why I lost both games, Chooselife just played way better.

both games happened quite similar, scoring here scoring there, with a big farmer battle in the end. only in the second game two of my meeples were trapped in the beginning of a mega city, and as they got trapped, I knew I will lose, because forcing a mega city always makes me lose the game.

finally my streak of ties is over ^^ always 1-1 since round 1. true consistency of average skill.  :P

well played Chooselife, good luck in next rounds!

edit: 1st game starting player choose, 2nd game starting player adror
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:17:24 AM by Adrornalin »

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:30:03 AM »
Thanks for the games Adrormalin,

I do like to play fast as it usually pressure the opponent to play fast also.

On the second game I've to clear that if Adrornalin hadn't merge the two farms the left one on my control and the right one being shared with the CFFF in the middle of the cloisters, with his last tile I think, the ending PD would be quite smaller, but indeed the two meeples trapped on the beginning of the game plus the one on the top by the end did cost him the game.

thanks for the game and good luck.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
  • Merit: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 07:27:41 AM »
I also like to play fast, though some placement might not be planned well enough.
Yes with my last tile I connected both farms because I clearly lost, the board looked better then and I did not have in mind the PD thing.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:52:37 PM »
Halfling started game 2

GLH510 2 - 0 Halfling

2 x blocking games.  If I'd first been introduced to the game played like this I'd never have played again!
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline glh510

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 12:55:58 PM »
Halfling started game 2

GLH510 2 - 0 Halfling

2 x blocking games.  If I'd first been introduced to the game played like this I'd never have played again!

:-\ :-\ :-\ Sorry that i made you a bad experience

GLH 510 started game 1

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 02:55:16 PM »
Two great games with my nemesis: Jere!

The first game (started by me) was a great surprise... a win for me!

We were generally quite even in this game, but my taking overall control of the incomplete city to the north was key to my victory. I was only able to do this because I drew the last two cccx tiles which Jere needed, but I guess I got lucky here. Jere had his fair share of luck too though, and overall it felt exciting from start to finish for me.

It was business as usual for the second game. I built up a good lead early on with lots of small cities which all ended up on the same farm. But Jere fought back with some very convenient cloisters. Most of this game was about the farm war though. Jere ended up with one trapped meeple and all 6 of his other meeples on the farm. I had 5 on the farm, 1 waiting to join it, and a knight in a small but expandable city. Scores were pretty much neck and neck. 2 tiles to go. Even though there was 1 tile left that could have tied the farm, I didn't draw it. :( So Jere took the farm outright and I lost by 22 points. Switch the final two tiles around and I could have added 24 to my score (and subtracted 1 as I used my actual final tile to generate a single point for myself which I wouldn't have had if the tiles were swapped) and my 22 point loss would have become a 1 point victory. Very annoying. But Jere had his fair share of annoyances to deal with too, so I guess I can live with it.

Thanks Jere! :) :(y)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:33:53 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Links fixed »

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 02:32:30 AM »

We were generally quite even in this game, but my taking overall control of the incomplete city to the north was key to my victory. I was only able to do this because I drew the last two cccx tiles which Jere needed, but I guess I got lucky here. Jere had his fair share of luck too though, and overall it felt exciting from start to finish for me.

Two great games indeed.  :(y)

The chances of winning the 1st game was clearly in my favor... I needed only one of the 2 remaining cccx tiles, you needed both AND in the correct order, cccf first and then cccr. But that's the game... ::)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 06:59:22 AM »
The tile with the city part that I claimed didn't have to be a cccf though. It could be any fcxx tile that would allow me to attack the city. I wasn't counting the tiles very closely so I don't know if there were other tiles left that would have suited this, but I'm pretty sure there were (will have to check the video). And then any joiner tile to get onto it.

Yes it would have been a different story if you had drawn one of the two cccx tiles, but I don't think it's true to say that I needed both of them in that order to get my second knight into the city.

In my opinion the second game was far closer than the scores suggest... ;)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 07:36:01 AM »
The tile with the city part that I claimed didn't have to be a cccf though. It could be any fcxx tile that would allow me to attack the city. I wasn't counting the tiles very closely so I don't know if there were other tiles left that would have suited this, but I'm pretty sure there were (will have to check the video). And then any joiner tile to get onto it.

Yes it would have been a different story if you had drawn one of the two cccx tiles, but I don't think it's true to say that I needed both of them in that order to get my second knight into the city.

Well, as far as I remember, there were no ccff or ccrr left (I might be wrong, did you really record? haha  C:-)), which means you needed a cccx to join the city.... and the reason I say you needed both is because if you don't get both, then who you think gets a least one and wins the game?  ;D

The bottom line is that JCZ likes you more, and this game should have been played on iOS.  :P :P :P

In my opinion the second game was far closer than the scores suggest... ;)

In my opinion you are absolutely right ;)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 05:41:53 AM »
Yo dudes.

Any news on if/ when any of the outstanding matches are scheduled to take place?

Offline What If?

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Carcasstoned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 10:42:09 AM »
I have tried to contact Marcos, don´t know what to say, I am awaiting a response.
Maybe I shouldn´t buy kathars, what would I do next?

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 03:47:54 PM »
Round 5, Game 2
Rich_The_Fish v TheSteveAllen
97 :yellow-meeple: :  92 :green-meeple:

I changed my colour for our second game in the hope that it might bring a bit more fortune. This time it was my turn to start and things progressed pretty evenly although Steve did have more points on the board for quite a lot of the time whilst mine were busy in incomplete features (and farms). I tried to trap his monk and thief, but after about 20 tiles he drew the one which could rescue them (a RRFC). This was a pretty close game throughout, but things too a turn with about a dozen tiles left and I thought I'd lost it - my farmer in the east was blocked from joining the main farm, Steve had just placed the FFFR cloister in the north to get his 2nd farmer into the farm to even things up with 2 each. Around this time he also managed to glom into the southern city, meaning his knight was no longer worth just 1 point. I really did think that the writing was on the wall, but then the game took another turn - I decided to gamble and placed my last meeple as a farmer in the north west and then managed to get him into the main farm to take control with just 4 tiles left. I was still behind, but managed to complete the city in south east with only 2 more tiles remaining. Steve didn't have any meeples left having just placed a monk in the south east cloister the go before, so on the last tile I could place a farmer in the south west field to claim 6 points and clinch the win. Phew! Thanks very much for the games, they were both enjoyable and very close.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2017 Basegame League - Round 10

Started by danisthirty

33 Replies
Last post June 14, 2017, 07:11:38 AM
by Jéré
xx
2017 Basegame League - Round 1

Started by danisthirty

44 Replies
Last post February 02, 2017, 02:18:59 AM