Author Topic: A farewell to one of the greatest digital apps to ever exist  (Read 2428 times)

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
A farewell to one of the greatest digital apps to ever exist
« on: January 18, 2020, 09:06:01 PM »
It is with a sad heart that I must report that the CodingMonkeys have lost the rights to publish Carcassonne on iOS and Mac. The Carcassonne app will be available until the 1st of March at which time it will be unavailable and replaced with Asmodee's implementation as currently found on Steam and Android. The CodingMonkeys have promised to keep servers up for at least 1 year and will keep them up even longer beyond that as budget permits. Also, in light of this situation they've gone ahead and put all theirs apps on sale for 50% off (not sure if this includes the in app purchases as well). You can read more about this sad news via their blog post here,

https://blog.codingmonkeys.de/posts/2020/01/18/farewell-carcassonne

I have played and enjoyed Asmodee's Steam implementation of Carcassonne but it couldn't measure up the incredible greatness that was the CodingMonkey's iOS implementation. I will hate to see this app pass on but I likely will pick up the Asmodee version when it is available.

I'm curious what all of you think? I can't imagine I'm the only one saddened by this news.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4471.0

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
Re: A farewell to one of the greatest digital apps to ever exist
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 01:47:44 AM »
I’m waiting for carcassonne app for iPad... That’s my desire...

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 05:18:42 AM »
That's sad. Maybe a stupid question, but will we still be able to play local games vs AI opponents after the servers go down?

Offline Amorpheus

• Authors
  • Duke
  • Merit: 4
  • Hoping this registration sticks :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 05:20:57 AM »
Terrible new DaFees. The Coding Monkeys rendition of Carcassonne has been my all-time favorite iOS app. I’ve seen the Asmodee version and it seems to follow Carc II styling, and as a Carc I guy, l’ll be sad to make that switch. Only digitally though; still holding out on Carc II printings.

Offline Amorpheus

• Authors
  • Duke
  • Merit: 4
  • Hoping this registration sticks :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 05:22:36 AM »
That's sad. Maybe a stupid question, but will we still be able to play local games vs AI opponents after the servers go down?
I think that would still work without the servers, as long as you don’t delete the app. Once deleted, it will be gone forever.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 02:04:10 AM »
I've played something like 2500 games via the (old) iOS app and love it as much as everyone else. In a day and age where there are phone/ tablet apps for almost every conceivable purpose, it's rare to find anything, especially a game, that is universally well-liked and which almost nobody has anything negative to say about it. I hope the Coding Monkeys are proud of what they achieved with their Carcassonne app, as it was everything that anybody who played it ever wanted it to be. I've even known of people somewhat surprised to discover that Carcassonne is actually a boardgame as they've only known about its existence through the iOS app!

The same thing cannot be said of the Asmodee app. I try to be positive about these things, but this is simply dreadful in so many ways. The UI is clunky and awkward to navigate, the graphics are ugly, the AI is stupid and the whole thing just feels unnecessarily bloated and clumsily put together.

Yes absolutely. They're not more likely to take pity on you and let you win though :P

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Tile Counting Apps/ Programs

Started by danisthirty

5 Replies
Last post January 20, 2022, 03:12:07 AM
by Decar
xx
Does the Count starter tiles exist as 1 tile?

Started by Paul

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2014, 03:48:01 PM
by Paul
clip
Do all tiles also exist in dark green?

Started by frksr

4 Replies
Last post January 15, 2019, 08:45:25 AM
by Sinscerly
xx
Is it possible to check if a certain, specific tile exist?

Started by Green Builder

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2023, 02:58:25 AM
by Green Builder
xx
One of our craziest openings ever

Started by Green Builder

5 Replies
Last post March 21, 2023, 07:50:09 AM
by Decar