Author Topic: Usage of Farm Hints in JCZ  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
Usage of Farm Hints in JCZ
« on: May 20, 2015, 03:48:48 PM »
Have we not agreed to not use the farm hints  ?

Split from discussion in A&M League Group B

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1773.0
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:51:52 AM by MrNumbers »
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Usage of Farm hints in JCZ
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 03:53:57 PM »

Originally we did, yes. But since there was never any way of policing it and it seemed to spark a lot of unwanted controversy I didn't really make a point of mentioning it in subsequent tournaments. Ultimately I don't think it's that much assistance anyway, no more than perhaps the predicted score thing is, but I prefer not to use either in any case.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:49:58 AM by MrNumbers »

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
Re: Usage of
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 11:55:49 PM »

Originally we did, yes. But since there was never any way of policing it and it seemed to spark a lot of unwanted controversy I didn't really make a point of mentioning it in subsequent tournaments. Ultimately I don't think it's that much assistance anyway, no more than perhaps the predicted score thing is, but I prefer not to use either in any case.
Holy shit!! I really didn't know we weren't supposed to use it, as you can see I clearly didn't even try to hide my use of it.
As it is a feature of JCZ I really thought it was of "standard" use, FYI I do give more importance to that last tile "X" tool since I'm always being distracted by wife and kids, can we use that?

I will accept any type of penalisation or exclusion from the league that being the case.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 12:09:43 AM »
Choose life - no need for that.  With the tiles I got,  I think it would be pretty much impossible to secure a win.

Also, as Dan said, it doesn't make that much difference.  Regards the last tile placed hint, i think that is fair enough as we are all busy and are sometimes doing various things at once.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:14:32 AM by Rosco »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 12:22:48 AM »
Choose life - no need for that.  With the tiles I got,  I think it would be pretty much impossible to secure a win.

I disagree. I think Chooselife should be banned from taking part in this league or any future online competitions...

>:D

Obviously I'm joking. You're fine. Thanks for the offer Choose, but I think it's clear that this was a genuine mistake and that you weren't using it to give yourself any kind of advantage. If you were, you did a rubbish job of keeping it to yourself!  :)

Just out of interest, the discussion we had about farm hints and other "artificial aids" offered through JCloisterZone can be found here:
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=855.msg10797#msg10797. There were some great points raised and suggestions offered at the time, but my overall feeling has always been that our online tournaments should be as close as possible in terms of playing experience to that of playing up at a table in person.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 12:34:23 AM »
you weren't using it to give yourself any kind of advantage. If you were, you did a rubbish job of keeping it to yourself!  :)
Indeed  :))

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 01:31:57 AM »

I switched on the predicted score yesterday close to the end watching Rosco vs. Jéré and then back off soon after the beginning of my own game against Jéré, noticing, it was still on. Personally, I don't see them as an advantage, because you should figure out, which move improves your score difference to the opponent, regardless if this move can turn the outcome of the game or not, especially in tournaments. But for myself it seems to be a little bit of a "spoiler" to the gaming experience, so I normaly don't use that feature.

The farm hit I occasionally switch on and off during games, where there are big battles with multiple farmers for a single big field. (For obvious reasons not in the A&B League.) If there are 3+ farmers per player on a field and I lose track, it sometimes comes in handy to quickly check, if anybody is in the lead for that farm or not. And I think, this just benefits the opponent in the same way as me, because otherwise I would just take my time counting the farmers and the other person would have to wait.

But using the field all the time, I would not consider a big advantage as well. It's just something, I don't do, because I like the view better without farm hints. Also it was not stated in the tournament rules, that it should be forbidden anyway.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:35:18 AM by Hounk »

Offline loki

• Duke
  • Merit: 7
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »

I will accept any type of penalisation or exclusion from the league that being the case.

I think he should be made to check and count all of the tiles at the end of every JCloister game , just to make sure none have been lost.

This is a particular obsession with me as I have to have every tile sorted and counted and put back in it's own set of little plastic bags, it takes nearly as long as playing the game.   :@

I even bought a big box 5 which I have not even punched the tiles just to make sure I have a spare set of tiles for my favourite expansions.

But I might have to pick up a second copy of the tower (just in case)   :-[

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Spiel 2016: To Farm Or Not To Farm (that is the question)

Started by DIN0

13 Replies
Last post October 29, 2020, 01:15:10 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
JCZ: Score the Farm - self merging fields

Started by danisthirty

11 Replies
Last post March 29, 2018, 11:22:32 AM
by Decar
clip
Farm scoring error