Author Topic: CarcassonneCentral World Cup - Group B  (Read 14117 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
CarcassonneCentral World Cup - Group B
« on: August 07, 2014, 02:19:43 AM »
danisthirty (166) vs. Rosco (185)

I felt that I got off to a pretty good start after trapping two of Rosco’s meeples on an uncompletable road (with Inn) and an uncompletable city (with cathedral). The fact that I still managed to lose after this is quite an achievement in itself! But lose I did, and I’ve agonised over pretty much every tile I placed in this game since then.

My conclusion was that I lost because I didn’t make the effort to consolidate the main farm (eventually worth 39 points) even though I was the first to claim it and had a couple of opportunities to do so. I think I still had time to respond when Rosco got his second farmer onto it (which I should have blocked but for some reason didn’t see the severity of the threat this posed before he joined it on) but couldn’t seem to draw any of the required tiles and ended up 19 points behind.

All credit to Rosco. Despite my blocking his two meeples he still finished the game with two meeples and his mega-meeple in hand. Definitely a case of being out-classed rather than out-lucked on this occasion...

(you don’t need to be a mathematician to spot that the scores in the final scores screenshot don’t add up. This is because the game crashed with around 24 tiles to go. I saved the game before we closed everything down, then I loaded it again and Rosco connected back to me. After this we were able to continue from where we left off as though there had been no interruption at all. The scores breakdown only shows the scores won after we loaded the saved game)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=942.0
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:03:06 AM by danisthirty »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: CarcassonneCentral World Cup - Group B
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:31:18 AM »
Well done Rosco! Impressive first-up win.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 03:17:13 AM »
(you don’t need to be a mathematician to spot that the scores in the final scores screenshot don’t add up. This is because the game crashed with around 24 tiles to go. I saved the game before we closed everything down, then I loaded it again and Rosco connected back to me. After this we were able to continue from where we left off as though there had been no interruption at all. The scores breakdown only shows the scores won after we loaded the saved game)

So it saved and reloaded the correct overall score - but the breakdown reset to zero? I wonder if that is something that farin can look at fixing...
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 03:31:30 AM »
Yes - it seems the overall scores were saved as part of the save game but it didn't save the breakdown by feature. So whilst all the scores shown in the feature breakdown of the screenshot are correct after the point at which we loaded the saved game, the points we'd already won (broken down by feature) before the reload were lost.

Hopefully it shouldn't take too much to include the scores broken down by feature in the save game file rather than just the current scores. I guess only farin knows the true answer to that question though!

Offline farin

• Duke
  • Merit: 44
  • JCloisterZone maintainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 11:42:51 AM »
stay tuned, wait for next release https://github.com/farin/JCloisterZone/issues/52

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 03:15:10 PM »
Thanks farin! Looking forward to it...  :(y)

Update on Group B is that if Rosco, Weeby-Vuit and I were the only people in it we would now be finished as we've all played each other!

Here are the stats:

Rosco: 6 points (+85)
danisthirty: 3 points (+50)
Weeby-Vuit: 0 points (-135)

Hopefully games with Beccaroo and RSV will happen soon!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 02:13:44 AM »
As I can see, Dan, you also leave the game with your Mrs. to the end? ;)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 12:48:14 PM »
We have had a couple of practice games to help her get used to JCZ so hopefully we will play our "proper" match soon!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 03:14:38 PM »
Beccaroo: 148 vs. Weeby-Vuit/ Chris: 154

Current standings are:

Rosco: 6 points from 2 games (+85;D
danisthirty: 3 points from 2 games (+50:)
Weeby-Vuit: 3 points from 3 games (-129:(
Beccaroo: 0 points from 1 game (-6:-[

RSV: 0 points from 0 games (0)  :o

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:04:03 AM by danisthirty »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 03:29:57 PM »
My chances of qualifying for the knock-out stage are still intact, and so is my marriage (just about)...

Can't believe there were only 3 points in it in the end. Definitely one of the closer games I've played for a long while!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:01:16 AM by danisthirty »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 01:30:23 AM »
Brave move not letting Becky win! She destroyed you on roads - lucky you went all out for the 24-point farm!

It's great that you played with real tiles and manually made the JCZ scoreboard! But what do the diagonal strokes on the scoreboard mean?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 01:37:23 AM »
Brave indeed! I was surprised it was so close as we both felt that I had a clear win. I think the fact that there were only 3 points in it helped to soften the blow...

Yeah, she really did destroy me on the roads. It would have been a bit more even if not for her using her mega-meeple to steal a longish road with inn from me which ended up being worth 20 points! In doing so she got a farmer of mine onto her 18-point farm though so it wasn’t the end of the world.

I put those backslashes in so that I could tell the difference between points scored during the game and points scored in the final scoring. There was very little on the board other than farmers by the end of the game so I didn’t have to use them very much...

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 05:06:34 AM »
Last night I had my third game with Beckaroo.  From early on I had my mega meeple and 2 meeples trapped - Becky obviously taught Dan his tricks. I totally thought my game was over but I managed to keep my head and win it!
Dan - can you upload the images? Thanks
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 05:18:03 AM »
Rosco 156 - 134 Beccaroo

I was quite surprised that you won by such a big margin as it seemed closer than this when I watched the replay. I guess the extra farmer helped out with this, as did the cathedral-dump within the last few tiles of the game! Very well played both of you...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:02:00 AM by danisthirty »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 03:16:42 PM »
danisthirty 181 - 127 RSV

Group B Summary with 3 games to play:

danisthirty: 9 points from 4 games (+107) - qualified for knock-out stage!  :))
Rosco: 9 points from 3 games (+107)
Weeby-Vuit: 3 points from 3 games (-129) - can no longer go through  :'(
Beccaroo: 0 points from 3 games (-31) - can no longer go through  :'(
RSV: 0 points from 1 game (-54)

I thought I'd take the opportunity to post this during the brief period that I'm at the top!  8)

I could be wrong, but I think my qualification for the knock-out stage is now a mathematical certainty. Since Rosco and I both have 9 points, Beccaroo and Weeby-Vuit can not qualify as they only have one game left each and even if they both win, neither will reach 9 points as they currently have 0 points and 3 points respectively. So they are eliminated.

RSV has played one game, which he lost, and still has 3 games left to play. If he loses 1 or more of these 3 games, the highest points total he can achieve is 6 which will mean Rosco and I both qualify. If however he wins all 3 he would reach 9 points which would result in a 3-way points tie between Rosco, RSV and myself. But, if this happens one of his wins would have been against Rosco which would reduce Rosco’s total score differential to less than 107 whereas mine would remain on 107 so I would qualify ahead of him.

Ultimately, the two remaining outcomes are that RSV fails to win the remainder of his games and Rosco and I qualify, or RSV does win the remainder of his games and either RSV and I go through or Rosco and I go through depending on total score differential. RSV and Rosco going through isn’t a possibility because Rosco can’t qualify ahead of me if he loses to RSV and RSV can’t qualify if Rosco beats him!

This makes me happy!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:02:31 AM by danisthirty »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
CarcassonneCentral World Cup - Group D

Started by MrNumbers

27 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 02:53:09 PM
by BabyGamer
clip
CarcassonneCentral World Cup - Group C

Started by jungleboy

52 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 10:01:09 AM