Author Topic: School question  (Read 3839 times)

Offline thehindujesus

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
School question
« on: January 31, 2015, 08:54:11 AM »
Yesterday we were playing The School as well as Princess and Dragon and we came across an interesting event that wasn't covered by the official School rules or in CAR.

What happens when a player is in possession of the Teacher, and another road from the school is completed before any points are scored?

It seems as if the rules assume that when someone completes a road from the school, they will score the points for it, allowing the player in possession of the Teacher to score the bonus points before relinquishing the Teacher.  However, while playing P & D, we were hesitant to score unclaimed features that we just finished because we didn't want to lose the chance to position the fairy (the dragon was stomping around right in the heart of all our developments).  In our situation,  :red-meeple: gained control of the Teacher, but on the very next turn,  :green-meeple: finished an unclaimed school road and opted not to claim the points for it so as to move the fairy.  This situation might also arise if a player completes an unclaimed school road but has no followers in their reserve to claim the points.

So what happens?  Does  :red-meeple: keep the Teacher until points are scored and then give it to  :green-meeple:?  Does  :red-meeple: gain the points for the road despite no one else gaining points from it?  Does  :red-meeple: lose out in the Teacher bonus entirely and surrender the teacher to  :green-meeple:, scoring 0 points?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1499.0

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
Re: School question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 06:20:41 AM »
Based on the rules and clarifications from the castles (from Bridges, Castles, & Bazaars, not the new upcoming ones) and from the Count of Carcassonne, all features are scored when they are completed, but if they are unoccupied, nobody gets the points. Thus, I would interpret the School rule to be treated the same way -- the holder of the Teacher (  :red-meeple: ) scores the points from that unoccupied road, the Teacher is returned to the school, then  :green-meeple: gets the Teacher for completing the next School road.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 01:27:39 PM »
Does  :green-meeple: get the Teacher even though she was not at the school at the time the school road was completed?

I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:47:14 PM »
Does  :green-meeple: get the Teacher even though she was not at the school at the time the school road was completed?

Yes. The Teacher isn't claimed from the school until scoring is complete. Thus, she has a chance to return to the school after giving  :red-meeple: points so  :green-meeple: can grab her.

Offline thehindujesus

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 05:58:14 PM »
Thanks for all the information!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
School Question

Started by jecanre

7 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 02:28:17 PM
by obervet
xx
[WTS] Tower, Catapult, GQ11, Halflings, School, German Cathedrals

Started by Caciej

17 Replies
Last post March 16, 2018, 06:12:36 AM