Author Topic: Storage/Cases/Boxes etc  (Read 35904 times)

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
Re: Storage/Cases/Boxes etc
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2016, 07:31:50 AM »
I misread that as:  You stood on your box  :o :o :o

No - the only thing that ever stands on my BW box is my Carcassonne: Die Stadt "Holzkoffer" (it has felt feet added)

It's a miracle (or a disaster) that I still have my license.  :P

That's awesome hunnymonster, thanks for risking it  :D

Well - if it had all gone horribly wrong, you might have had a call like this -
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline egamar

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 4
  • I haven't much in my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2016, 10:38:01 AM »
Have you had any problems with pieces spilling out of their compartments? What if you turn it upside down and shake all about... sorry I got carried away there for a moment. ^-^
I store mine vertically, and nothing has ever left its allocated slot yet.

One of the little brass cylinders that forms the hinge has, however fallen out - and has not yet been discovered.  I'm sure I can get a replacement when I next order from BW. 

BTW: the square compartments in the top tray are ideal for storing e.g. Darmstadt, Labyrinths, Spiel 14 & 15, Garman cathedrals and similar small-count sets if you put a little sstrip of card underneath  and over the top to act as a token lifter.  You could even fasten the strip to the base with a removable glue dot.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:42:44 AM by egamar »
Agricola was my gateway game. Carcassonne became my game of choice.

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2016, 02:01:15 PM »
I've been thinking about getting the big basically wooden box recently because my current collection is in a shoebox my other half has converted into some makeshift storage which works, but something more permanent would be nice!

However I have a couple of things I want to check. I've gone through all the threads I can find and I don't think they've been answered yet so apologies if they have!

So first thing - Can I fit my catapult in this? Looking at the pictures I think I might be able to just above the scoreboard but I can't figure out if the box would shut if it's there. Does anyone have any experience of this at all? It's actually an expansion we use regularly enough that I'd like it to be in the box if possible (along with the ruler...)

Also I keep my meeples in drawstring bags and currently have 10 sets. Would I realistically be able to fit these into the bottom of the big box? They're all cloth so the bags shouldn't take up much extra room than the meeple sets on their own, but just wanting to be sure.

Finally, the list of watermarks they do on the dividers seems to be missing a few expansions/spin offs I might like to have in there. Does anyone know if they'd do anything like this on request (Such as Hunters and Gatherers)?

These might seem a little specific but I can't quite work these out from the pictures/descriptions and want to be sure before I buy...

Offline Smooth

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • Love to play!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2016, 10:38:29 PM »

Finally, the list of watermarks they do on the dividers seems to be missing a few expansions/spin offs I might like to have in there. Does anyone know if they'd do anything like this on request (Such as Hunters and Gatherers)?

I would like to know this too. I think I have seen someone in here that had some custom dividers made. Maybe it was Decar. Anyway, you could write them an email and ask.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2016, 10:54:28 PM »
So first thing - Can I fit my catapult in this? Looking at the pictures I think I might be able to just above the scoreboard but I can't figure out if the box would shut if it's there. Does anyone have any experience of this at all? It's actually an expansion we use regularly enough that I'd like it to be in the box if possible (along with the ruler...)

I'm not sure about this because I only have the Catapult tiles in my big box and not the other stuff. But I might be able to check it this afternoon (if I can find the actual catapult, that is!).

Also I keep my meeples in drawstring bags and currently have 10 sets. Would I realistically be able to fit these into the bottom of the big box? They're all cloth so the bags shouldn't take up much extra room than the meeple sets on their own, but just wanting to be sure.

You mean in the small side boxes on the right side of the bottom tray? Again, I'm not sure (though I can answer your next question, I promise). I use those boxes for expansion elements like towers and bridges and have the meeples in the top section. But I only have the standard six meeple colours. What you could do is take out those wooden boxes from the bottom row if that helps fit your bags in.

They have H&G, they just mustn't have updated their website yet. I went through this with them a few months ago and they came up with some nice designs. You have your choice of the mammoth or the mountain for the base game, then the stone table for the 12 extra cards, then the face for the Scout expansion. You can see them pictured here along with a falcon for the Castle falcon expansion and the winter crop circles.

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2016, 11:15:49 PM »
So I have had my Carcassonne stuff in three boxes using dividers of my own making. However it was not very sturdy. So I ordered from gameguard. However on arrival I found it to be broken. They have promised a replacement part and I attach some photos to show how it looks now. My old system accommodated most of the tiles. The new one accommodates more meeples in the main box but less tiles. Altogether it is more robust but it can only just handle what I've got.

Offline toastytoast

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 2
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2016, 03:50:52 AM »
I'm currently looking into some form of storage solution, but I'm on the fence!

Currently, my whole Carcassonne collection (I think I have everything minus Princess & Dragon, Cathars, WoF, Catapult, and until the postman arrives, the Tunnels) lives in 1 base game box and 1 tower box, in organised chaos.

I really rather like the Basically Wooden boxes though a bit pricey for me and may look out of place on my game shelf, as I tend to prefer the original boxes. The alternative seem to be the Gameguard (though I hope Basically Wooden will eventually produce some inserts) so that I can get to keep it in the base game box. I'd still need to put the overflow into an expansion box, which I don't mind at all, though I think it may be hard to find a smaller set of inserts for the regular expansion box sizes to accommodate tiles.

The other more extreme option, though often thought-about one, is to buy the Big Box 5 (which also gets me WoF), sell off the other expansions I have that become duplicates (like Sheep and Hills) due to BB contents and then put my entire collection in there (using a couple of Gameguard inserts). How huge is the Big box? This may well be the negative factor!

Offline Smooth

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • Love to play!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »
According to Amazon the Big Box 5 is 43 x 9.5 x 32 cm http://www.amazon.co.uk/Z-Man-Games-78505ZMG-Carcassonne-Big/dp/B00AI11QPO

I just ordered the Basically Wooden, I'm looking forward to getting it :-)

Offline toastytoast

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 2
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2016, 12:23:16 PM »
Hmm, that does seem rather large - not sure my wife will like that on the lounge book/board game shelves!
(I'll have to sure up my biggest game and see how it compares...)

On another note, I popped an email regarding wooden inserts to Basically Wooden and going by my latest email from them.....

"Hi Simon
Email received – thank you!
We can certainly make a box insert organiser for Carcassonne – we use quality 3mm birch ply which cuts beautifully and ensures the finished item fixes together perfectly."

... we may, possibly see some good quality inserts from them in the future, fingers crossed!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2016, 11:41:42 PM »
I got a post about this on Twitter last night. Looks like box inserts are on the way from Basically Wooden!

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2016, 02:48:48 PM »
Thanks Jungleboy, I'll drop them an email about the dividers. They look great!

I hadn't considered that I'd just be able to put my bags in there instead of the boxes if they don't fit. Seems like the ideal solution to me so that's another problem sorted.

As for the catapult…it looks like it will fit, but I might just check with them directly as well if no one has one to hand.

The box inserts are looking like an interesting alternative too, certainly feel they'd work for a smaller collection :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 03:44:56 PM by Curt194 »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »
I just checked - it doesnt fit in the top.  It's every so slightly too proud.  My box doesnt have a clasp on it at the moment, so it's hard to tell if it would  shut.

If you do remove the boxes (you might save a pound or two if you order without) - it could easily fit into the compartment with your meeple bags.  I bet if you asked BW to make a slightly deeper tray they would do it.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2016, 05:15:32 AM »
Now that I have Crop Circles I, it’s time for a storage update, which may help those considering getting Basically Wooden boxes:

This is my BW large box with what I believe to be every official old art tile except Darmstadt (obviously) and not including the River (III). It also includes four 50/100 scoring tiles that I don’t really need anymore now that I have the BW score markers. There’s still room for probably 40-45 more tiles at the back of the rows at the back.

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2016, 05:18:17 AM »
The obvious question is how much does that stuff way.

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2016, 05:26:59 AM »
The obvious question is how much does that stuff way.

Mine is similarly stacked - though instead of WoF, I have Winter Edition... - weighs 5.2kg / 11½lb

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
New boxes for tile storage available on Cundco

Started by Willem

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2022, 11:27:28 AM
by Scott
xx
Abbot's etc

Started by gcardullo83

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2020, 02:03:11 AM
by Murphy013
xx
cundco question / [WTB] meeples etc

Started by cicerunner

5 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 07:55:40 AM
by Meepledrone
lamp
Meeple comparison (wooden, frozen, phantoms, teachers, minis, unofficials...etc)

Started by corinthiens13

25 Replies
Last post July 28, 2021, 12:45:31 AM
by corinthiens13
xx
WTB: The Collector’s Case, Plushie Meeple, Jelly Meeple, etc.

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post December 21, 2020, 06:07:08 AM
by asp204