Author Topic: World Championship 2016 Essen, Germany  (Read 17758 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: World Championship 2016 Essen, Germany
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 12:23:26 PM »
Congratulations Jere. My opinion is that you deserved to place higher but must have had some tough games. Still, you enjoyed yourself and didn't come last. France would be proud of you! :) :(y)

Thanks also for starting this thread and for all the updates you posted. Merit for you!

Only 3 wins out of 6! (Better than past 2 years already!) We need a 2-person UK championship!
I have the confident to do well in the World Championship. But who knows if I can get pass the 4-person game? Too much unpredictable element in it.

"Only 3 wins"? This is a 50% success rate at a gathering of the best Carcassonne players in the world. Incredible. I think Andrew did very well to place 16th out of 34 and I was proud to be there supporting him.

Scott Moore organises the UK championship every year and is a member of these forums. Many of us are aware of the drawbacks associated with the 4-player format that the UK competition uses and he has been quite open about why things are being run the way they are, and the obligations that must be fulfilled on behalf of the UK Games Expo in order for the competition to happen at all.

This aside, I'm intrigued to know what makes you so confident that you would do well in the world championships; have you played at one before?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 01:18:42 AM »
I am at home at last! Now already at work, so don't have much time for a write-up. I will publish a big report later, but I am still mad at myself, that I was just one tile away from the semifinals, and made a stupid mistake in my last game! Still, 6th place also not so bad after all :)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Carcassonner

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 2
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
    • ВК
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 01:55:17 AM »
I am at home at last! Now already at work, so don't have much time for a write-up. I will publish a big report later, but I am still mad at myself, that I was just one tile away from the semifinals, and made a stupid mistake in my last game! Still, 6th place also not so bad after all :)

Registration and writing messages here is similar to the quest  :green-meeple:
I look forward to your report and photos. Finally, I can fill my stomach  8)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 02:44:47 AM »

Registration and writing messages here is similar to the quest  :green-meeple:
I look forward to your report and photos. Finally, I can fill my stomach  8)

Great so see you here! Congratulations once again! A well deserved victory! :(y) :D

For others, who don't know: Carcassonner is the Carcassonne World champion 2016!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:14:25 AM by MrNumbers »

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 03:05:55 AM »
Congratulations and welcome indeed! Proud to see Belgium was 3rd!
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

• Count
  • Merit: 28
  • updated 2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 03:43:10 AM »
@Carcassonner

:black1-meeple: :blue-meeple: :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :gray-meeple: :violet-meeple: :pink-meeple: :orange-meeple: :white-meeple: :brown-meeple: :neutral-meeple: :yellow-meeple:

CONGRATULATIONS
I'm looking for:
● Carcassonne shopdisplays (esp.dicegame.+ Minis ger.)
● Carcassonne Στα Κάστρα του Μυστρά (2002) Greek first edition
● Carcassonne - chinese Sur knight kings editions
● ETCOC / WTCOC 2020 commemorative tiles
& more -> https://ibb.co/cCcm4SB

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 03:49:27 AM »
Welcome to the forums Carcassonner, and many congratulations on your win on Sunday. Russia must be very proud of you! :) :(y)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 03:51:24 AM »
Wow.  Most people join this forum looking for expansions or rules clarifications.  Carcassonner roles up as the World Champion and the only thing he is interested in is food  :o

Congratulations! 

Offline Carcassonner

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
    • ВК
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 03:52:25 AM »
Thank you! It was really an exciting adventure!
Hopefully, I happen to meet in the next championship with MrNumbers again, and prove that my victory was not accidental!  ;)

Wow.  Most people join this forum looking for expansions or rules clarifications.  Carcassonner roles up as the World Champion and the only thing he is interested in is food  :o

This remark was specifically for MrNumbers  ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:54:44 AM by Carcassonner »

Offline Uhome

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 04:06:27 AM »
Congratulations Jere. My opinion is that you deserved to place higher but must have had some tough games. Still, you enjoyed yourself and didn't come last. France would be proud of you! :) :(y)

Thanks also for starting this thread and for all the updates you posted. Merit for you!

Only 3 wins out of 6! (Better than past 2 years already!) We need a 2-person UK championship!
I have the confident to do well in the World Championship. But who knows if I can get pass the 4-person game? Too much unpredictable element in it.

"Only 3 wins"? This is a 50% success rate at a gathering of the best Carcassonne players in the world. Incredible. I think Andrew did very well to place 16th out of 34 and I was proud to be there supporting him.

Scott Moore organises the UK championship every year and is a member of these forums. Many of us are aware of the drawbacks associated with the 4-player format that the UK competition uses and he has been quite open about why things are being run the way they are, and the obligations that must be fulfilled on behalf of the UK Games Expo in order for the competition to happen at all.

This aside, I'm intrigued to know what makes you so confident that you would do well in the world championships; have you played at one before?

Hi danisthirty,

It is by no means offend or not supporting Andrew. The main point is to push for a 2-player tournament instead of 4-player  :yellow-meeple:.

Good that the organizer is aware of it and at least have a though about it. May I know why things are being run that way? As a player, I find that squeezing all kind of boardgame competitions into UK Games Expo has a competitive effect with each other as one cannot cut myself into pieces and join all the games at the same time. The more competition there, the more diverse and probably less player in each one.

Last of all, danisthirty you get the point, I have been representing Hong Kong and Taiwan in the last 2 years. They both have their national championships in 2-player format, with Hong Kong now using 6+2 format copying the one in World Championship. It is a consent that this format could familiarize national champion and get better prepared for the world stage. And I luckily get 6th-place last year and 8-th two years ago, winning 4 games out of 6 in both. The coming year I'm looking forward to win the UK tournament and get the chance again to have the experience to play with people all over the World. That said, I grow up in the world of 2-player game, having played 4-player game only once ever, and if possible, changing to a 2-player format would be for my benefit. :P
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:11:20 AM by Uhome »

Offline Uhome

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 04:09:36 AM »
Thank you! It was really an exciting adventure!
Hopefully, I happen to meet in the next championship with MrNumbers again, and prove that my victory was not accidental!  ;)

This remark was specifically for MrNumbers  ;)

(Find out how to Quote now  :red-meeple:)
Congratulation to Carcassonner !  We have the World Champion in this forum! Hopefully we meet in the  next championship so that I can challenge you  >:D

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 04:34:34 AM »
(Find out how to Quote now  :red-meeple:)

All you have to do is click the "Quote" button on the right by the message you wish to quote. This will create a quote of that message in the reply box so you can type your message underneath it and when you post it (or preview it) will show the message that you're responding to quoted above your message.

You can also modify the quoted text within the quote itself (like I did with your quote above) but it is easy to mess up if the message you're quoting contains 1 or more quotes as there's lots of tags to deal with!

Good luck with it! :(y)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 04:57:22 AM »
Good that the organizer is aware of it and at least have a though about it. May I know why things are being run that way?

You can find out more by clicking this link. The topic of the thread may be deceiving but we seemed to spend more time discussing why the current championship is the way it is so it should be useful to you.

The coming year I'm looking forward to win the UK tournament and get the chance again to have the experience to play with people all over the World. That said, I grow up in the world of 2-player game, having played 4-player game only once ever, and if possible, changing to a 2-player format would be for my benefit. :P

See you there... >:D

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2016, 05:12:35 AM »
Finally, I can fill my stomach  8)

OK, maybe I will try this strategy next year too! ;) :D

Offline Uhome

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 06:06:04 AM »
Good that the organizer is aware of it and at least have a though about it. May I know why things are being run that way?

You can find out more by clicking this link. The topic of the thread may be deceiving but we seemed to spend more time discussing why the current championship is the way it is so it should be useful to you.

I have a glance of Scott Moore's post on the link you provide, and don't really saw much reason for why 2-player's game is not possible, as he said in #23 that "can't see any major problem for us in running 2-player rather than 4-player", with only possibly uncertain popularity concern. I agree squeezing in the UK Games Expo, as one have to finish by 3pm would as said by Scott Moore's. The schedule is tight. There can only play 6 games and one has to probably win all of it if it is to be the winner. (The rest of it seems to be detailing how the 4-player tournament can work).

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Spiel 2016 - in Essen, Germany - 13.-16.10.2016

Started by kettlefish

84 Replies
Last post October 21, 2016, 10:51:18 AM
by Decar
xx
Members and Fan-Meeting - 13.10.2016 in Essen, Germany

Started by kettlefish

38 Replies
Last post November 04, 2016, 09:40:47 PM