Author Topic: Cities and Fields?  (Read 7152 times)

Offline TheDoctor_13

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 1
  • I'll Claim This Farm
    • View Profile
Cities and Fields?
« on: January 14, 2015, 12:20:35 AM »
Small question, I recently got Carcassonne and have been playing it with my brothers. When one of us draws a City tile but don't control a city or a city is not open to occupy, does that mean we have to connect it to someone elses city? Or can you connect by the field side. We just been playing by connecting to someone elses city as it makes sense because city to city connection, just like roads. But I want to make sure.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1448.0

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
Re: Cities and Fields?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 01:38:37 AM »
When you draw a tile, you may place it anywhere it fits, road to road, city to city, or field to field. You may claim any unclaimed feature on that tile - city, road, field, or cloister. If you add it to a feature controlled by your opponent you are giving them points. Sometimes this is a good tactic but definitely not always!
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 01:41:38 AM »
If your city tile has a field side, which fits on all sides somewhere to the board, you can connect it there. (And claim the new city, if you want.) Only if you draw for instance a tile with city on all four sides (there is only one in the base game), you have to connect it to a city, if possible. If not possible at the time, it is drawn, you have to discard it, and the tile will not be used in this game.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:44:07 AM by Hounk »

Offline TheDoctor_13

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 1
  • I'll Claim This Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 12:47:19 PM »
If your city tile has a field side, which fits on all sides somewhere to the board, you can connect it there. (And claim the new city, if you want.) Only if you draw for instance a tile with city on all four sides (there is only one in the base game), you have to connect it to a city, if possible. If not possible at the time, it is drawn, you have to discard it, and the tile will not be used in this game.

So if the City does have a field side you can connect it to a field instead of a open city? Could you also do the same with roads? Seems like strange rules, as I didn't think you could do that.

I know sometimes placing city tiles on a opponent is a good tatic, especially to close it off or if your playing with cathedrals (Though that can also go against you if they complete it).

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 01:32:56 PM »
Yes, any matching pair of sides can be played together. There's no need to extend your opponent's city if it's the only open city on the board just because your tile has a city edge. Fields can be played next to fields, roads next to roads, and cities next to cities, then you may place onto any unoccupied feature of the tile you just played.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Is this bridge placement legal? (+ another question about castles and fields)

Started by ac1982

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2022, 11:23:56 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Ferries, lakes, and farms/fields

Started by Allograft

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2021, 10:06:35 PM
by Allograft
xx
plague source tile and completion of cities and roads