Author Topic: First time Fan-expansions: The Lake and Wells  (Read 8909 times)

Offline BT

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
First time Fan-expansions: The Lake and Wells
« on: April 16, 2013, 05:03:50 AM »
Over the weekend I started making my first fan expansion sets. It was great fun looking through all the different sections and with so many to choose from I decided to start with something unique and something that I could practice my tile making skills on. So I selected the lake and the wells. I'm really happy with the tiles I've made and look forward to making more. I even bought some blank tiles to get started on the forests and mountains expansions, as they look amazing.

So tonight, with my folks around, my Dad and I played with both of my new sets after dinner. So I just wanted to send out a huge thank you to jputt927 for the lake and meepleater for the wells. We loved them and had a great game. I won 201 to 138 and even got to win the Lighthouse, so that made it even nicer.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=240.0

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
Re: First time Fan-expansions: The Lake and Wells
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:40:06 AM »
Nice report...and if you get hooked you better buy a lot more tiles!  ;D
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline BT

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 02:05:22 AM »
Thanks Carcking. I've got some on the way, but I already know its not going to be enough.

Offline BT

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:05:14 PM »
After a week of playing with the lake and wells, the blank tiles I ordered arrived so I made up a set of the Mountains expansion.

Before making the tiles I was expecting the mountains to build large "Alps" through the landscape but I was pleasantly surprised how many of the tiles only had one side with mountains, suggesting that the mountains would be smaller features and that has been what happened for us. It was great to be able to use the mountains to block expanding farms and I like how the appearance of the landscape altered from the regular game.

The tiles are really well thought through and it is a really enjoyable expansion. Thanks to Novelty and Scott for creating it. I look forward to trialling more expansions. Think the Forest will be the next one.

Offline BT

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:33:35 AM »
The fan expansion goodness continues...

Over the weekend I made 132 new tiles to create the Forest expansion. I had a 2 hour long game with my Dad (1-1 as usual). We loved it.

We use the tower tile holder and it was stacked to overflowing. Before we had used all of the tiles on top of the tower we had each scored over 100 points. The strange thing is that the two thirds of the game that followed we both didn't score as quickly. We even had a 20 minute section where there was no scoring.

The Forest expansion is fantastic. Not only does it make farming difficult but it also provides so many opportunities for extra cities. And the appearance of the landscape was beautiful. The tiles are a wonderful addition to our gaming.

I ended up winning 197 - 152. But was lucky that I added 50 points in a section where all of my Dad's followers were unable to score.

Thanks to Scott and Novelty for all their work on this expansion.

If you look carefully you might be able to see the second play test for my own fan expansion inspired by my daughters love of cloisters. It will be called "Cloisterville" which is my daughters catchphrase when multiple cloisters connect.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:43:16 AM »
I think the next time you can play the game with the Abbey.
At the picture are so many holes...perfectly for the Abbey.  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Essen - My First Time

Started by wallaceprime

12 Replies
Last post October 15, 2022, 09:13:21 AM
by Willem
xx
My first time(s) playing maps

Started by ac1982

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2022, 03:26:08 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Bards of Carcassonne - pennants (and wells)

Started by stalcupojoy

0 Replies
Last post December 05, 2016, 12:46:48 AM
by stalcupojoy
xx
The Voyages of Marco Polo - First plays, first impressions (image heavy)

Started by franks

5 Replies
Last post November 16, 2017, 06:07:57 AM
by franks
xx
WTB: First Edition, First Print with 70-point scoreboard

Started by Perimones

45 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 01:52:37 AM
by Decar