Author Topic: Report: MegaCarc (w/ 14 expansions)  (Read 9724 times)

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
Report: MegaCarc (w/ 14 expansions)
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:01:44 AM »
The Date  - 9 August 2013
Play time - 6 hours
Tiles - 245 after school and river

The base set
  • Wheel of Fortune tiles only, no wheel

The start tiles
  • The River
  • The School

The expansions
  • Inns & Cathedrals
  • Traders & Builders
  • King & Robber Baron
  • The Princess & the Dragon
  • The Tower
  • Abbey & Mayor
  • Bridges, Castles, & Bazaars
  • The Flier (Mini 1)
  • The Ferries (Mini 3)
  • The Goldmines (Mini 4)
  • Mage and Witch (Mini 5)
  • Crop Circles II (Mini 7)
  • + 6 tiles from Catapult expansion

House Rules
  • "Weaker King & Robber" arbitrary final scoring value of 15 points each, and a total of 40 points if both obtained
  • "Double dragon" two dragons in play
  • "No surprises" reducing the beginning reach of towers by one space.
  • "First choice, last placement" our simplified houserule for Bazaars. Upon drawing a Bazaar and playing it as a normal tile, as many tiles as there are people are drawn face up. Beginning from the active player and then in clockwise fashion tiles are chosen, but are placed in reverse order. Meaning the player who got the last choice gets to place first

The omitted
  • The Count - we enjoy the Count, but it just added one layer of turn-order complexity that we didn't feel like we could get our heads around at this point.
  • The Robbers & The Messages - to put it simply we don't like scoreboard clutter. Next time, however, I think we will include the Messages but without the female meeple.
  • The Catapult - we will never use it in MegaCarc
  • The Wheel - we didn't want to tip the "luck" scale any further
  • The Phantom - we will include it next time

Highlights - the stuff that we all thought worked great
  • The school - it was the first time playing this for all of us. We enjoyed the mechanism so much that we all agreed that the teacher effect would be great if it lasted more than just at the start of the game (with the 6 roads). We have a houserule to remedy that for next time
  • The bazaars - the usually disliked bazaars were enjoyed by all (well maybe most). It caused a couple of instances where players were sure they'd chosen the best tile only to find out that someone else had sabotaged their placement with a "useless" tile.
  • The mage and witch - great dynamic for the cities being hotly contested. Players often shifted their focus depending on whether a mage or witch was or wasn't present. It was also fun as you could "hurt" two players in one go, if you placed the witch on a big city two opponents were sharing.

The Fizzers - the elements that didn't really shine
  • the ferries - normally one of our favorites, the ferries had minimal effect in this game.
  • the dragons - though there were two of them, their carnage was limited to the first 40-50 tiles of the game. After that they rarely travelled anywhere of interest. Our houserule needs to be altered to force one dragon to move the full 6 spaces instead of allowing for switching between the two.

The Scores
Wolffy started out with the lead for the 1st first third of the game
My Dad then lead for the 2nd third of the game
Darchie and Trev surged forward after scoring a 70+ point city and fought over the lead spot for the remainder of the game.
I, myself, was rather surprised that upon final scoring I had just barely nudged into the lead.

Me 301
Trev 298
Darch 259
Wolffy 222
My Dad 218

The clincher
Though I had tried to get into the 70+ point city to no avail, I decided to finish it with my abbey, to gain the resources and the "King". I didn't realize it, but it would be that move that won me the game. I honestly didn't think they would be enough with Trev set to score big points from his huge farm with barn and pig.

The stuff-up
Trev realised that during the game he paid 3 points to ransom his meeple off of another player. He never utilized that meeple, so had he not ransomed the player he would have tied for the win at the end of the game.

The final verdict
We all agreed it was the most fun and interesting game of Carc we'd played to date, though it was the longest and most complex. If we didn't have the Annotated Rules there's no way we'd have got through it.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=367.0
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:59:26 AM by AlbinoAsian »

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
Re: Report: MegaCarc (w/ 14 expansions)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:05:15 AM »
The pics

The final layout

We also used a customised 0-100 scoretrack, with 0, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 markers at the start of the track.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:45:08 AM by AlbinoAsian »

Offline harvster

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 08:26:34 AM »
Sounds like you guys were having a lot of fun!  :-)

Offline harvster

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:54:40 AM »
Very cool!  And with all the followers out there it looked like it was very intense!  :-)

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Cool.  I haven't done this in a long time and not with anything released in the last two years.  Looking very much forward to my next one.  :blue-meeple:  Thanks for the pics.
Flee the fleas.

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 08:52:57 PM »
Cool.  I haven't done this in a long time and not with anything released in the last two years.  Looking very much forward to my next one.  :blue-meeple:  Thanks for the pics.

It was 2.5 half years since my last MegaCarc =) hopefully can fit one more in the next month before I head back to my usual place of residence Thailand.

Offline DavidY

• Freeman
  • Merit: 5
  • :)!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 02:13:46 AM »
woah, do you have all the expansions? Do play a mega carcassonne with all expansions and show us how it went!

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 02:40:44 AM »
woah, do you have all the expansions? Do play a mega carcassonne with all expansions and show us how it went!

The pictures above show us playing it with those 14 expansions, there were a few left out, but I also have 4 more other minis on their way from Germany at the moment. So I think we will definitely try another bigger one some time =)

Offline Big Guy

• Authors
  • Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • I slipped away, like a THIEF in the KNIGHT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 03:57:41 AM »
The depth and detail here is awesome. Great report on an amazing game. The longest carc game ive ever played was less than 3 hours. You given me something to aspire to.

Happy to hear about the school and maye/witch mechanics. And good to know about double dragons.
A good board game brings people together.

Check out my Variants:
THE TOWER (NCV)
PLAY AS THE DRAGON

Offline PgMaster

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
  • Carcassonne Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 10:51:58 AM »
Nice game. We have just bought the school and I am interested in your house rules that you have come up with for it.

Offline wicke

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 11
  • The Vikings will invade the South Seas
    • View Profile
    • Patrik's Page
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 11:14:56 AM »
There is a fan-made expansion already called Dual Dragon and you can download it from CarcC.
The idea is simple though, the only difference is that you can choose which dragon to move,
but you move it all the usual 6 steps.
So you don't need to call it a house-rule.
My website:
http://www.wikstromtree.org/
although the games page is yet to be started

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
MegaCarc Testrun with some of the RPG elements.

Started by Paul

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2014, 02:05:31 AM
by SRBO
xx
megaCarc April 19-21, 2014

Started by Paul

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2014, 01:53:37 PM
by Paul
xx
Build me a game worthy of MegaCarc!