Author Topic: Competitive Friendliness?  (Read 13524 times)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Competitive Friendliness?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 09:00:21 AM »
This got me thinking about a new scoring system. Doubt it will ever work but who knows.  :meeple:

The key is to work together, i.e. when working on a city with others is about everyone scoring together and not winning the city. The more score you get, it becomes negative.

In short: A three player mode the one with the highest scoring and the one with the lowest has to try match the one in the middle for that player will win after all the scoring is done at the end! >:D
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »
[angry rant]
Games are social activities, but if you're not playing to win, you might as well do something else.  Otherwise you're just succumbing to mediocrity.  One of the things I really dislike about playing games with some of my friends, and especially my wife, is that they whine about me doing anything to anyone that could hinder them or favor me.  It makes no sense and some days it really takes the wind out of my sails.  It's like complaining that someone put you in check or that the pitcher is throwing too fast.  These people would rather play tee-ball and give everyone a trophy.  Give me a break!  >:(
[/angry rant]

When I teach anyone any game, I always show them several options for each move and point out what I think would be best especially if it hurts me and I rarely win.  Once they know how to play, it's game on!

I'm not bitter...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:35:14 AM by CKorfmann »
Flee the fleas.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 12:13:48 PM »
 :o

How about a MAD version? The one with the least score wins. When placing a city tile one has to put a meeple on it and finish the city fast or end up opponents building more of it. Farm scoring is substracted.

I've been trying to introduce a crazy weekend game theme just to vary things a bit.

Going back to this topic though, boardgames are like any other fun and hobby. It's not for everyone. It's a bit unfortunate you can't enjoy the game with those you'd love to play with but I'm sure you can find others. I was thinking of playing via E-mail but haven't figured out the shuffle of tiles so they are synced.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 12:35:31 PM »
Not a fan of a golf-style scoring variant, for the reasons mentioned by CKorfmann in his rant. What could be interesting is a co-op variant where the aggressive parts of the game can be turned into some sort of common enemy.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Is there an option to have JCloister play in a non competitive mode?

Started by loki

6 Replies
Last post September 07, 2015, 11:35:33 AM
by Ailurus