Author Topic: A Carcassonne League?  (Read 84181 times)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
Re: A Carcassonne League?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2014, 06:43:27 AM »
@rfielder - hopefully any concerns you may have over the suitability of using JCloisterZone will be addressed in the email, but please do let me know if they're not  :)
Dan:

I am sure JCloisterZone will be fine.

My only concern is getting it work between two individuals across the internet.  Has anyone here actually made that happen?
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »
Yes, this should be fun!
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 01:04:26 AM »
@rfielder - hopefully any concerns you may have over the suitability of using JCloisterZone will be addressed in the email, but please do let me know if they're not  :)
Dan:

I am sure JCloisterZone will be fine.

My only concern is getting it work between two individuals across the internet.  Has anyone here actually made that happen?

I suspect you'll have headaches with firewalls and port routing.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2014, 05:14:38 AM »

Dan and I are doing a test run tonight to see if we can get it to work. We'll let you know how it goes!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 05:17:56 AM »
I just managed to get a game going between my work PC and my laptop at home. Unfortunately nobody was at home to actually play against but the two PCs spoke to each other and got as far as starting the game. This seems like good news.

I too was concerned about firewall problems but didn't have to make any changes to my firewall config at home to get things going, so hopefully this won't be an issue for anybody else either.

I have also produced a "short" document explaining how to setup internet games within JCloisterZone which I will be emailing out soon to everyone involved.

Looking forward to playing a few trial games against jungleboy tonight and possibly Rosco too in the near future!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2014, 06:07:23 AM »
I wish you all good luck for your online game.

And I like to "hear" a report of the game...  ;)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »
Been following this thread, like every other to see how it goes.

Few days ago I finally downloaded this myself, and had to install the Java Runtime Environment which was no trouble at all. Tried a game on my own and it works pretty well.

Question: Can I pick up a tile recently placed or rotate it? Seems odd this is not imbedded with the right mouse click or wheel. Or, is this the drawback of Java itself?

World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2014, 03:22:46 PM »
I'm happy to report that JCloisterZone worked like a dream and jungleboy and I had two great games over the internet with no difficulties setting it up at all!

I've done a write-up of our first game - complete with screenshots - which can be found here:
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=743.0

(I may well also write-up the second game but that was slightly longer as we included Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders)

@Yellow - you can rotate tiles using the tab key or right-mouse button but once you've clicked to place it (and before you place a follower/ meeple) it can't be moved. I learnt this the hard way but it isn't often a big problem...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
Fixtures for Round 1 are as follows (check your email for more details):

Carcking vs danisthirty
jungleboy vs jvnoledawg
MrNumbers vs quevy
rfielder vs Rosco

Have fun!

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 09:12:26 AM »
@Yellow - you can rotate tiles using the tab key or right-mouse button but once you've clicked to place it (and before you place a follower/ meeple) it can't be moved. I learnt this the hard way but it isn't often a big problem...
JCloisterZone really needs an Undo button.

For example, you place a tile, but have not placed a meeple.  Undo would allow you to move the tile elsewhere.

I have seen too many instances where the tile gets place accidentally, and you can't change it.  For example, if your opponent has captured one of your followers, and you click to redeem the follower BEFORE placing your next tile, the game will place the tile for you at a random spot.  That means the tile is stuck, and you just have to live with it.

We also had an instance where the game became nonresponsive.  And no, I do NOT mean no pulse and no pupil dilation!  :)   I mean that you click on things, and they would show movement, but you could not actually do anything.  We saved the game and exited.  Hopefully, we will have the time tonight to load that game and see if it now works.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »
@rfielder - I know what you mean about the undo button. Best I can do is to point this out to the guy responsible for JCloisterZone and hopefully he will consider it for a future release.

The other two issues I haven't really experienced myself. Were you using any expansions when those problems occurred? I know that if you're playing with Traders & Builders and Princess & Dragon then the game seems to get confused if you place a dragon tile on a turn that should generate you a bonus turn through your builder. You do get the bonus turn after the dragon has been moved but it doesn't really let you play it and the game kind of stops (this has been reported). Saving and loading fixes this, but the score breakdown at the end of the game will only remember features scored since the load (final scores are unaffected).

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 02:56:26 AM »
Is there any League news? Have any other Round 1 matches been played or have the times for the matches been set yet? I presume there will be some sort of live video stream where we can all watch each match ;D

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 03:17:13 AM »
None at present, although I'm very much looking forward to my match against CarcKing which is scheduled for midnight tonight (my time)! In the mean time I've been getting lots of practice in against the computer but it's not quite the same...

I've not heard anything from any of the others (MrNumbers, quevy, rfielder, Rosco) recently. How's it going guys? Please give me a shout if you need any assistance with hosting or anything else.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2014, 05:39:28 AM »
Carcking and I had our match last night as planned. There were a few teething problems at first but we soon determined that these were down to the fact that CK was using an older version of JCloisterZone. Once we were both running the latest version (2.6) everything went very smoothly.

I won't describe the games in detail as I'm doing a write-up separately. In summary though, the first game could have gone either way. I felt like I had the edge after getting off to a good start and holding on to a narrow lead throughout most of the game. But I was lucky to get a third farmer onto the main farm (which had previously been tied) with the final tile and won by 120 to 98. At the halfway point I felt like the second game was going terribly as CK did such a great job of locking up my meeples from the start, but this turned out to be another win for me (albeit an undeserved one) by 120 to 113.

Looking forward to hearing about the other two matches so that we can establish the overall standings at the end of round 1!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2014, 07:26:11 AM »
We just finished our two-game match with Quevy. Later I will write little report, now only facts:
I won both games: 123-79 and 83-69. My most used strategy was blocking the followers and trying to steal or at least share the feature.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Expansion League #7: Carcassonne Minis - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by MrNumbers

63 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 11:19:32 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Carcassonne Minis League: Goldminers

Started by MrNumbers

39 Replies
Last post September 25, 2017, 11:10:27 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
The Carcassonne Central Divisional League - Spring Season