Author Topic: Tips and tricks for the forum  (Read 22653 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Tips and tricks for the forum
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 08:03:43 AM »
One thing I really like on the tapatalk app is that not only can you see unread threads (as you can on the forum proper), but you can also see a timeline of posts, showing the most recent. That's such a better way of accessing 'trending' threads than having to navigate through the different sub-forums. Is there a way to see the most recent posts like that when not on a mobile device?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 09:37:26 AM »
One thing I really like on the tapatalk app is that not only can you see unread threads (as you can on the forum proper), but you can also see a timeline of posts, showing the most recent. That's such a better way of accessing 'trending' threads than having to navigate through the different sub-forums. Is there a way to see the most recent posts like that when not on a mobile device?

If you click on Forum (between Home and Help) upper menu bar, you get to the forum main page. Scroll down all the way to the bottom you'll find "Carcassonne Central - Info Center" there is a link to view the most recent posts newest first.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 09:47:42 AM »
If you click on Forum (between Home and Help) upper menu bar, you get to the forum main page. Scroll down all the way to the bottom you'll find "Carcassonne Central - Info Center" there is a link to view the most recent posts newest first.

Oh, cool tip, thanks!  :(y)

I have made a bookmark for it next to the main bookmark in my Favourites bar at the top of my browser for easy access.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:23:35 AM by jungleboy »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 09:52:26 AM »
Probably my most visited page! I can't imagine trying to keep up with everything that goes on without this link...

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 12:39:39 PM »

This is what I use almost exclusively, but it only goes back 10 pages. No access to archive beyond that  :'(
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 12:53:57 PM »

This is what I use almost exclusively, but it only goes back 10 pages. No access to archive beyond that  :'(

Ten pages is 100 posts that usually is more than one day worth of posts.

I myself don't use this, rather I read every post I haven't read from "Show unread posts since last visit." under "Hello profilename.
  Any post that I may have missed but is still unread, I simply click on "Click here to try all unread topics" link on the very same page to find every unread post, no matter how old.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
I myself don't use this, rather I read every post I haven't read from "Show unread posts since last visit." under "Hello profilename.

I also primarily use this. But I often use the app to read posts while I'm out of the house, though I don't often write any posts this way unless it's very short. So when I come home, it's nice to be able to see a list of recent posts to remind me which are the posts that I want to reply to.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »

I also primarily use this. But I often use the app to read posts while I'm out of the house, though I don't often write any posts this way unless it's very short. So when I come home, it's nice to be able to see a list of recent posts to remind me which are the posts that I want to reply to.

I got Tapatalk to mainly remind me of new posts. As for reading them, I use the phone's browser (Chrome). I don't have the forum bookmarked, rather a tab already loaded for the forum so it's instant read when I open the browser.
  May be a bit weird, but I'm not comfortable with Tapatalk with the (to me) somewhat messy ui.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 10:15:44 PM »
Interesting reading how people like to keep up to date with the forums! I can offer yet another alternative as I stay in touch mostly through email. I'm usually able to visit the forums via my laptop for 20 minutes or so each morning, during which time, If I see a new topic that interests me (which is most of them), I'll either click the "notify" button or post to it which enables email notifications by default. Then I have a special folder/ "label" set up in my gmail account which all emails from CarcC go into and from which I receive an alert on my phone whenever anything new arrives. So I probably do the majority of my forum reading via phone without using Tapatalk or even actually visiting the forums. If I feel inclined to respond to anything I can do so via Chrome on my phone (by following the link in the email) if it's a short message, log onto the forums from my computer at work (shhh :-X), or I can wait until the evening and usually have a slightly longer CarcC session on the laptop then.

I always go straight to the "View the most recent posts on the forum" page whenever I'm visiting CarcC from the laptop, although this isn't an especially good way of discovering new topics.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:54:22 PM by danisthirty »

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 12:14:02 AM »
Is there a way to turn off email notifications (but keep Tapatalk notifications) for subscriptions & PMs? I've looked in the "usual" places to disable it (it's normal to be able to do this in Xenforo, vBulletin, myBB,...)

edit - do I counterintuitively have to set when I want to be notified (replies, 1st reply only, daily, weekly) and then tell it not to alert me?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:43:21 AM by hunnymonster »
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 06:16:50 AM »
So I probably do the majority of my forum reading via phone without using Tapatalk or even actually visiting the forums.

There is one disadvantage in this - you are not notified about editing the posts, so you see only the original post, not modified one.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 02:10:06 PM »
So I probably do the majority of my forum reading via phone without using Tapatalk or even actually visiting the forums.

There is one disadvantage in this - you are not notified about editing the posts, so you see only the original post, not modified one.

Yes this has caused me some confusion in the past, especially if people have gone on to quote something that was added after the original post! ???

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2016, 04:59:08 AM »
3. Known Issues

Here are some known issues with SMF (Simple Machines Forum) that we know of so far.

1. Microsoft Edge has some issues with the forum (Edge's fault not ours)
• Any button in the Post Reply such as emoticons and formatting / adding links and images won't work.
• You cannot increase or decrease the Post Reply text area.
•Links open up in a new tab when clicking on them.

If you are aware of any known issues not listed here, feel free to let us know!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:05:19 AM by Paul »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 04:34:45 AM »
This isn't a tip or trick, but more of a bug. If you attach a file that is larger than the limit and then hit Post, it takes you to a new screen telling you the image is too large and giving you a link to go back to your post. But once you go back and modify/remove the image and click Post again, it doesn't work (i.e. it doesn't do anything). You need to copy your text and start your reply from the beginning before you're able to post it.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 03:39:19 AM »
Does anyone have any tips for how to use the search function effectively? (Or, put another way: can the search function be made better?)

There is a thread called Carcassonne Travel Set. When you search for carcassonne travel set (the exact words without capital letters), there are no results. When you search with capital letters, it returns three results but none of them are the thread that has the exact search words in the title! Why isn't this better?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Book of Carcassonne: Strategy, Tips and Tactics

Started by danisthirty

35 Replies
Last post August 01, 2020, 08:32:19 PM
by haep
clip
Tips on how to organize mini expansions without a box?

Started by ac1982

17 Replies
Last post April 02, 2022, 04:42:05 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Tips for a 4-player Basic Game

Started by danisthirty

11 Replies
Last post December 07, 2015, 02:27:45 AM
by jungleboy
xx
Tactical Tips for Ferries