Author Topic: Expansion League #4: The Princess & The Dragon - SIGN UP HERE!  (Read 45917 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion League #4: The Princess & The Dragon - SIGN UP HERE!
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2016, 04:48:49 AM »
With any luck, the final two games should be played on Monday & Tuesday next week.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2016, 03:39:00 AM »
Just FYI:  Next week, I will be travelling for my work. I could play on my iPhone against Merlin but even though JCZ does not require a full install, I don't want to use my work laptop to play games. I should be available again from Monday April 11.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2016, 02:26:51 AM »
Are the placement matches using just the P&D expansion?  If so we can start playing and finally finishing this League?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2016, 06:54:54 AM »
Are the placement matches using just the P&D expansion?  If so we can start playing and finally finishing this League?

When the first stage is finished we will begin the second stage. All being well, that should be within the next couple of days. Sorry it's taken so long to get here; this length delay wasn't anticipated based on previous competitions, despite me doing my best to keep things moving in the right direction...

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2016, 10:01:21 AM »

When the first stage is finished we will begin the second stage. All being well, that should be within the next couple of days. Sorry it's taken so long to get here; this length delay wasn't anticipated based on previous competitions, despite me doing my best to keep things moving in the right direction...

Since my last game, I've managed to go to Africa 2 times...  I'll need a few practice games before the final stage because I forgot how to play this expansion!

Not your fault Dan, you're doing an amazing job, as always. I think people have sometimes trouble to understand the unwritten rules...

Greetings from Casablanca!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2016, 01:42:43 PM »
Not your fault Dan, you're doing an amazing job, as always. I think people have sometimes trouble to understand the unwritten rules...

Thanks Jéré, but I don't think I'm doing an amazing job at all. Insensitivity to the unwritten rules has certainly made this a tricky contest, but I've been too distracted by several other things I've got going on at the moment to keep close enough tabs on it (or the forums in general)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2016, 01:50:49 PM »
It's been difficult to arrange a suitable time to play my last game which certainly hasn't been helped by the time difference. Unfortunately something urgent cropped up last week when I was scheduled to play and was about an hour late, but my opponent wasn't free to play then. I even offered to forfit the game so as to not hold up the league! Anyway, fingers crossed we can get underway in just over an hour.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2016, 01:54:46 PM »
It's been difficult to arrange a suitable time to play my last game which certainly hasn't been helped by the time difference. Unfortunately something urgent cropped up last week when I was scheduled to play and was about an hour late, but my opponent wasn't free to play then. I even offered to forfit the game so as to not hold up the league! Anyway, fingers crossed we can get underway in just over an hour.

Sorry if it sounded like I was blaming you Rich, or indeed anyone. That wasn't my point at all, and I'm sure it wasn't Jere's either...

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2016, 01:56:09 PM »
I appreciate the delays, I hope my opponents forget how to play in between games, giving me the edge I need  :(y)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2016, 01:57:57 PM »
No worries, just wanted to say that I've tried to play and be available whenever possible (see posts in Princess thread) and find it frustrating too that it's dragging on so long.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2016, 11:45:25 PM »

Thanks Jéré, but I don't think I'm doing an amazing job at all. Insensitivity to the unwritten rules has certainly made this a tricky contest, but I've been too distracted by several other things I've got going on at the moment to keep close enough tabs on it (or the forums in general)

Why not write down these "unwritten rules" next time? I'm not sure I know what you mean by this but I assume it is to do with the frequency of playing games.

I think a bit of understanding is needed all round, people have more going on in their lives than Carcassonne and it can be quite difficult to arrange eight international games. It has been 11 weeks since the tournament started, I don't think one game per week with a couple of off-weeks is too unreasonable.

For people who play in lots of these tournaments this might be frustrating, but for newer people like me it is quite off putting to see these backhanded remarks about slow progress. I probably will not compete in any more online tournaments here on the forum.

But to go back to my original point, if there are "unwritten rules" about game frequency then please write them down! If you are expected to play two games a week (or whatever) make that a condition of the tournament with forfeit rules for unplayed games. Either that or accept that things might drag on and be chilled about it.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2016, 02:24:09 AM »
Evidently I’ve annoyed some people with my comment above. Clearly this wasn’t my intention and I apologise for any offense taken. I accept that most of us are busy people with families, work and other commitments, and that playing Carcassonne isn’t always high on our list of priorities. It’s certainly dropped several places on my own personal list anyway, given recent personal events which I won’t go into...

Just to add some clarity, my reference to unwritten rules was indeed surrounding the organising/ scheduling of games between players, and the amount of intervention that is often required in order to make them happen. If others could appreciate the full extent of all the emails and PMs I send and receive in my attempts to keep things moving, or the late nights and early mornings that I endure in order to host games for other players at their convenience (since the online server is still too unreliable) then maybe you’d feel differently about my impatience. I’ve never singled anyone out, and generally speaking I’ve kept my complaints to myself and remained as chilled out as I possibly could whilst trying to be fair to those who have already played all of their games and who have been waiting to move on to the next stage (in one case for over two months but this is an exceptional circumstance).

@JT Atomico: You’re right that it would probably be helpful if the unwritten rules were written down, but I’ve already stated that it is up to individual competitors to arrange their own matches at mutually convenient times; I’m not sure what more needs to be written without sounding too patronising? However, I spoke with my co-organisers several weeks ago about the possibility of imposing time limits on future competitions so that they are completed within reasonable timescales. Nothing like this has been imposed so far as I don’t like the idea of penalising those who struggle to find time to play, but I think this competition is evidence enough that there should be something in place. I’m especially sorry if my comments or attitude have put you off of the idea of taking part in future competitions.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2016, 09:10:28 AM »
Thanks Dan. I just think as long as such rules remain unwritten they will go unobserved, so having some clear deadlines and forfeit rules up front would probably make your life easier too!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2016, 05:08:20 PM »
the last game in the princess group is finished.

I opened the topic:
Princess & Dragon League: Groups D1 - D9
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:41:36 AM by kettlefish »

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2016, 10:09:12 AM »
Another Elo update (as of April 6th 2016)

Enjoy! :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Expansion League #6: Bridges, Castles & Bazaars - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by MrNumbers

31 Replies
Last post February 21, 2017, 01:53:50 AM
by jma03
xx
Expansion League #7: Carcassonne Minis - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by MrNumbers

63 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 11:19:32 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Expansion League #5: The Tower - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by danisthirty

54 Replies
Last post June 17, 2016, 04:31:06 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Expansion League #3 - Sign Up Here!

Started by danisthirty

63 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 12:58:27 PM
by danisthirty
xx
when move the dragon?in the expansion princess and dragon