Author Topic: Minis Among Us  (Read 11321 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Minis Among Us
« on: June 23, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »
After having a random discussion with kettlefish, I can't help but think it is time for HiG to release a new "Count, King & Cult"-type compilation expansion. CK&C included The River II, The Count, The King, and The Cult. Of those, The Cult was the only new expansion and the other three had previously been released as mini-expansions (with The King being paired with The Scout from Hunters & Gatherers). The total piece count - 36, plus a count token, making this one of the largest expansions to date. In comparison, both The Catapult and Bridges, Castles & Bazaars only included 12 new tiles, though they did include copious amounts of companion wood and cardboard (the catapult, ruler, throwing tokens, bridges, castles).

Since CK&C, they have released Corn Circles (I), The Festival, The Phantom, The School, The Windrose, The Besiegers & The Monasteries. This does not count The River I, which is still generally paired with the base game, or the five Spielbox expansions (Cathars, Cult, Tunnels, Plague, and Little Buildings) that have released over the years.

A breakdown of these HiG expansions is thus:
- Corn Circles (I): 6 tiles
- The Festival: 10 tiles
- The Phantom: 6 Followers
- The School: 2 tiles, 1 Follower
- The Windrose: 6 tiles
- The Besiegers: 6 tiles
- The Monasteries: 6 tiles

Of these, I do not see The School being included as any set since it is a charity expansion. Likewise, I don't think we will see Monasteries as part of an compilation yet since it just released and is currently being distributed as promotional material. That leaves five expansions that could be included in a new Compilation. Together, they would constitute 28 tiles and 6 Followers, which makes an odd number for a tile sheet, which are usually produced in sets of 12.

Thus, what I recommend is that HiG include together Festival, printed with new icons (since the 10th anniversary logo doesn't make as much sense here) and two new tiles, making it an even 12-tile expansion. Add to it The Besiegers (to finally mend the error of the original Cathars distribution), The Phantom (which is out of print and one of the most popular mini expansions), and Corn Circles (I) (also out of print and often confused with the first one). Leave out The Windroses for now but instead include another NEW 12-tile expansion, perhaps something simple or something that would add tiles to previous expansions. Unify all of these with a shared expansion icon and release it as a new combined Expansion 10 called something like "Phantoms & Corn Circles". I would buy it immediately even though I own most of the expansion already.

Any thoughts or ideas regarding a new combination expansion?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=848.0

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
Re: Minis Among Us
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:18:03 PM »

Offline Andrew the Ambo

• Count
  • Merit: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 10:31:29 PM »
The Plague is mentioned above, but is put out by Spielbox not HiG.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 10:39:19 PM »
Indeed, Plague was released by Spielbox which has different licensing issues with it and thus is not part of my list. Neither is The Tunnel, The Cathars, The Cult (Spielbox edition), or Little Buildings. This discussion is only about the official Hans im Glueck expansions

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 12:59:45 AM »
Indeed, Plague was released by Spielbox which has different licensing issues with it and thus is not part of my list.

My bad. Clearly plague on the brain.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »
999 games in the netherlands offers the expansion the phantom.. its still easily obtainable here..

On the other hand, I would really buy a expansion containing, festifal, windrosen, siege, corn circle (1) and another new one.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:57:31 PM by SRBO »

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 09:34:41 AM »

Offline Carcatronn

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »
Freshly made German Phantoms just made it's way to my doorstop, probably have them posted later this week. Two full cases and a ton of loose Phantoms. Did anyone need a set of Purple phantoms still?  ;D
PM me for for a list of remaining items from the Carcassonne Shoppe.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 03:00:53 PM »
Was it Scott who needs a full set of purple phantoms?

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »
Yes, I am interested in a set of 8 purple phantoms for my 10th Anniversary set. Also interested in shepherds in alternate colors, and I haven't bought Hills and Sheep yet. Add that all up plus shipping and invoice my Paypal account. 8)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:38:17 PM by Scott »

Offline Carcatronn

• Authors
  • Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 07:30:51 AM »
Yes, I am interested in a set of 8 purple phantoms for my 10th Anniversary set. Also interested in shepherds in alternate colors, and I haven't bought Hills and Sheep yet. Add that all up plus shipping and invoice my Paypal account. 8)

Hahaha if you look at the list of updates, my eyes are too bloodshot and cross-eyed to function  ;) Come pick them up before it's too late!

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »
Looks like I missed out on Sheep & Hills. I placed an order for the rest of the stuff; you can refund me the portion of the flat rate shipping that you don't need.

Offline Carcatronn

• Authors
  • Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »
Looks like I missed out on Sheep & Hills. I placed an order for the rest of the stuff; you can refund me the portion of the flat rate shipping that you don't need.

Will do Scott. Hills & Sheep sold out very quickly - even Alliance had to short my pre-order due to the high demand. If you don't pick it up at your FLGS, these will be back in a month or so.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Tip for buying Carcassonne Minis

Started by Willem

0 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 08:34:53 AM
by Willem
xx
Is someone in Germany willing to receive a package of Carcassonne minis for me?

Started by unclewill

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2021, 08:12:07 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Carcassonne Minis League: Goldminers

Started by MrNumbers

39 Replies
Last post September 25, 2017, 11:10:27 PM
by MrNumbers
lamp
Meeple comparison (wooden, frozen, phantoms, teachers, minis, unofficials...etc)

Started by corinthiens13

25 Replies
Last post July 28, 2021, 12:45:31 AM
by corinthiens13
xx
Mini review on the latest Minis!

Started by DavidY

4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2013, 03:34:42 AM
by Andrew the Ambo