Author Topic: The Falcon expansion  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
The Falcon expansion
« on: March 03, 2020, 06:42:05 AM »
Someone asked me about how the tiles were and more, so here a what more in depth review of my experience with the printed version of the Falcon expansion for The Castle from Print and Play Games. This was a community asked assignment for a small group, I don't know if they still make it on order or have some left over. Nor do I want to advertise for Print and Play Games. Just my experience with this assignment and how it has been made. Also the vector files would probably be not 100% correct, but I wasn't involved in the making of those or the contact to create them.

Have fun with my little story to read and more important how it looks. :)

PnP files are available for free: https://www.knizia.de/more/

The review

TLDR; A bunch of people wanted to have the falcon expansion printed by a company, because they couldn't do it themself and arranged it :)

So it all started on BGG(BoardGameGeek) here https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2328952/producing-copy-vector-files-needed as someone tried to find vector files for the falcon expansion to let it print by a company. So later on they found someone who did it for them and arranged a print by a company to order for a small amount of I think it was 30 euro's with shipping in the USA. So I jumped in with some others from here to.

To say before my criticism. They did a way better job then I would have done it.

So little then a week ago I received the tiles and gates in a small padded envelope.

In the envelope I found all the components and tiles.

The tiles are a bit thinner then normal Carcassonne tiles and that is maybe not for everyone a good thing.  :o as we all know by heart how a normal Carc tile feels like. Also on BGG Gillum described all in full details https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2375543/production-print-and-play-games-photos. To see it for yourself.

I think they could have printed the tiles different, but they look good for me. Maybe I will try those sleevy things on these. As they are not as robust as Carc tiles feel. Also on the backside of the tiles is a pressed square, where the press pressed on to the tile to compress the tiles. This square is really notable and can be seen by any trained eye. [see next picture]

Then the gates. The gates look good on first side when I saw the back. Till I turned them and saw that they were cut on the other side. Leaving a non smooth side. As those will always be pointed to our beloved eyes, they will always be in the spotlight. [see next picture]

The gates fit good enough and I'm happy they fit :)

After all I wouldn't say they did a good job, but I'm happy with it. After all I can play with the Falcon Expansion and have fun instead of trying to cut it myself. I thank Print and Play Games that they were able to create it for us and the good customer service. They were fast with mailing and pricing for shipping.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4537.0
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:44:41 AM by Sinscerly »
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Falcon expansion
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 07:17:29 AM »
Hi Sinscerly!

Thank you for this great review!

In my case, the gates fit quite loose in one case and two tight in the other. In the latter case, after a couple of tries, the original castle pieces started to peel a bit in the back.

Will you try the expabsion any soon? I'd like to hear about it from you too.

+1 merit from me.

Cheers!
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 07:35:15 AM »
I agree with you Sincerely... I'm very sad about the results... The tiles are very diferent and the gates soo wrong... Could be worse, yes but I was expecting more of that sincerely ..

Enviado desde St. Meeple Hospital

I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:56:36 AM »
Yes, I hope so when I have time to play.

As for the results, I don't know where the problem about the quality lays. A bit by the producer, who has no expertises on Carcassonne related content. And maybe another part, but it's al speculation as I already said maybe at the transfer to vector files.

I'm gratefull that I can play with it. But further responses will probably be after the first plays

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Knizia - Falcon expansion for Carcassonne - "Die Burg" (The Castle)

Started by kettlefish

21 Replies
Last post December 08, 2015, 02:50:07 AM
by quevy
xx
ZAMEK – DODATEK SOKÓŁ (The Castle: Falcon Expansion)

Started by Decar

78 Replies
Last post December 17, 2023, 08:56:03 AM
by Ainka-in-love
xx
First game with Carcassonne: the Castle - Falcon expansion

Started by jungleboy

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2016, 09:46:04 AM
by jungleboy
xx
Carcassonne: The Castle - The Falcon Expansion