Author Topic: What I dreamt this morning....  (Read 5767 times)

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
What I dreamt this morning....
« on: July 13, 2014, 01:20:04 AM »
As I was waking up this morning I found myself dreaming about the basic mechanics of Carcassonne as a metaphor for a person's inner development.

So when a child is very young the different fields of the child's mind are quite distinct. So they place a farmer in the religion field and extend it as they develop. Similarly they place a farmer in the natural world field and extend that as they develop. Almost always morality will enter the child's mind via the religion field, so whatever you think about religion the religion field will contain some important truths. Similarly the natural world field might contain pernicious falsehoods such as the parents' racial prejudcies and superstitions.

Some people manage to go through their entire life never joining up these two fields. Such individuals are either highly naive or compartmentalized. However most people will join these two fields in their teenage years and how the resulting struggle for the control of the combined field proceeds determines what sort of person they become as an adult. Most people I guess just allow the two farmers to share the field. Some manage to join on other farmers so one outlook dominates and crowds out the other view point without removing it completely. Some have a crisis (dragon/tower etc) that completely eliminates one of the two farmers. If the natural world farmer is removed you have a religious fundamentalist. If the religious farmer is removed you have some sort of atheist - perhaps a secular humanist, a nihilist, a marxist or perhaps an existentialist.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=878.0

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: What I dreamt this morning....
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 01:33:24 AM »
Can't believe I just woke up and read this. I'm still a little drunk from last night, or have a hangover, can't really tell.  :o

But, this was deep. I'll read this again later.  :(y)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter