Author Topic: A Carcassonne Weekender  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Merit: 21
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
A Carcassonne Weekender
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:27:00 AM »
I have been on the forum for a little while now and virtually met some great members. I was invited to the Slackers club and happily join in with the chat and banter on there. I have played a few games online using the IOS version of Carcassonne and enjoy pitting my wit against the brains of the forum.

So I've been thinking about trying to arrange a get together of like minded individuals or couples for a weekend of gaming, tournaments, mega gaming, eating, drinking, being merry and just plain downright fun.

My very loose, open to suggestions, help needed in organising, thinking out loud plan is as follows:

1. A four day three night long weekend break away in a rented accommodation.
2. All attendees pay a percentage of the rental cost, share the cost of food or provide their own (special dietary requirements) Provide fizzy pop or other libations of their choosing.
3. Bring along games that they wish to play and/or various expansions and base sets of Carcassonne to play.
4. Put forward suggestions or other proposals for making the weekend memorable. If you can think of something then suggest or volunteer to arrange it.

I have had a look online and there are some lovely large places that are available to rent for a long weekend offering 20 plus sleeping places. some with pools, hot tubs, games rooms, tennis courts, gym etc etc. These can be rented for a block sum which when divided up could be as little as £100 for the 4 days per person. With the facilities available and the size of property to be used it would make a fantastic break for anyone wanting to get away and enjoy themselves with friends.

An example and I stress it's only an example

https://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cottage/North-Wales-Snowdonia-Roe-The/Richmond-Hall-906816.html

I do not know if this might appeal to anyone but if I get any interest I am prepared to make enquiries and go forward in trying to get it off the ground. This will not be a quick thing, it may not happen until next year. But it will give those interested plenty of time to plan, make arrangements, save up a bit to cover the costs and in some cases, learn to play Carcassonne properly so that I oops sorry they may be a foreboding opposition in any competition entered.

Let me have your thoughts.

List for my use and information

Possible interested attendees:

Squiffything and Mrs Squiffs
Willem
JungleBoy
Decar
Danisnearlyfifty
TheSteveAllen

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3507.0
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:25:45 AM by Squiffything »
Oooo, look at all the meeples

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: A Carcassonne Weekender
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:45:39 AM »
There's been similar events in the past and I'd like to see more!
  I myself most likely unable to attend in near future but hope to some day.

Provide a few options with total cost, would help.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:50:13 AM »
That sounds like fun!
Some scouts rent out their grounds for weekenders, could be a bit cheaper, and it has al the basics needed.
For instance the Wymondley Wood Scout & Guide centre. I've had a couple of Weekenders there for one of my other hobbies, and it could work quit well!

I'm definatly up for it :)
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »
I'm also interested, as I mentioned on Slack, as long as it's affordable and fits in with my jungle schedule. There are also flights and transport to factor in for some people too. I would be coming from Portugal.

An alternative option might be an extended version of something a few of us have done before - a London-based meetup using Draughts Board Game Café (or somewhere else) as a location. The advantages of this over a rural place are:

- London is easier to get to for most people
- Some people (such as me) might have friends or family there who they can stay with for free
- Some people (such as Dan) live nearby so they could participate but still see their families every day
- Draughts has lots of games so we wouldn't have to bring as many

Not trying to hijack the idea, just suggesting another possibility. Carry on.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:20:37 AM »
London maybe even I can. Sometimes it's ten Euro from Gothenburg to London flight.

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 11:18:35 AM »
Great replies and input guys. The cost element is a major factor for most people and therefore high on the priority. Also the accommodation. I am thinking of a long weekend rather than a one day meetup so there would be plenty of activity but that also means people have to have somewhere to stay. The village hall/scout hut option would keep the venue cost down but for a three/four day option it would mean either camping or B&B.

JB I completely get your point about flying in and the associated costs involved. I'm sure arrangements could be made to have members pick up those flying in and sharing the journey to whatever venue is chosen. We may only get a small number in which case a small venue can be selected but my example above shows that accommodation for £25 a day per head and for the facilities available is pretty good value for the money for that group size.

Keep the suggestions coming and interest noted so we can see what sort of numbers we might be looking at and I can then get an idea of which way to take it. Obviously at this early stage no idea of final costs

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »
Also, if someone has a big house / apartment that can accommodate the lot, works too. A typical thing we do here locally. We've no trouble sleeping all over the place. I even slept in the sauna once. ;)
  Typical me usually is up all night if it's a party with alcohol. When everyone goes down I tend to stay up and clean the house, prepare breakfast and then enjoy the sunrise.

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
Also, if someone has a big house / apartment that can accommodate the lot, works too. A typical thing we do here locally. We've no trouble sleeping all over the place. I even slept in the sauna once. ;)
  Typical me usually is up all night if it's a party with alcohol. When everyone goes down I tend to stay up and clean the house, prepare breakfast and then enjoy the sunrise.

Paul a man after my own heart :) I'm often the last to bed and the first to rise. I agree if there is a home that someone might offer but unless the numbers are small then that's a massive imposition. I had thought of going that way as we have a hall across the road but unless it was half a dozen people we would struggle to house everyone.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 01:10:18 AM »
put me down :(y) :(y)

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 01:41:22 AM »
I've added a list to the original post and added the names of those who have expressed an interest and indicated that they might come along. If anyone is interested and thinks they would attend please let me know and I'll add. Please note this is purely for information at this stage and not in anyway a commitment.

This does not have to be members only, I've added Mrs Squiffs as I think she would love a nice weekend away if the accommodation facilities give her a relaxing fun weekend.

Paul I've left you off as you indicated that you would be unlikely to be able to make it over but we can add you if you wish.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:44:09 AM by Squiffything »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 01:47:20 AM »
I'm just glad to be a part of it, even though not attending.   :@

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 02:28:10 AM »
I'm just glad to be a part of it, even though not attending.   :@

Never say never Paul :) It may end up in a venue you can get to and you may have that weekend off. I'd certainly like to meet a  world record holder

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Dutch Championship Carcassonne / Nederlands Kampioenschap Carcassonne

Started by The-Edge

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2023, 09:25:00 AM
by Willem
clip
Carcassonne in Carcassonne - 09 & 10.09.2023

Started by Meepledrone

11 Replies
Last post September 10, 2023, 11:41:26 AM
by Orkfly
xx
Carcassonne 3.0 - Nebel über Carcassonne(Taiwan)

Started by jacky1st2016

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2023, 11:58:23 PM
by Decar
smiley
[WTT] Carcassonne almost everything for Carcassonne dice game shopdisplay

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2023, 08:40:34 AM
by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)
xx
Carcassonne & Co. Newsletter - announcing a new "Spiel '14" Carcassonne tile