Just lay the damn tile!

Offline BabyGamer

• Duke
  • Merit: 12
  • Aloha! =^_^=
    • View Profile
Re: S.O.S.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 03:19:03 PM »

My boyfriend doesn't want to play a 2-player boardgame... He wants to play with more players and that is hard to arrange in the middle of the week or even on weekends... So here it's opposite.. :) I'm the one whining and wanting to play, and he doesn't want...  :-\

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 03:03:25 AM »
Maybe it was never meant to be?

My wife and I sometimes play. But she gets annoyed and loses interest as soon as I do something mean, which makes it pretty much pointless for me!  :(

@BabyGamer - we never did get round to playing did we? What's your availability like this week?  ;)

@Rosco - we haven't played for a while either...  >:(

Offline BabyGamer

• Duke
  • Aloha! =^_^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 08:57:59 AM »

Yay we never did get to play!  :-\

I was supposed to play this Sunday with my cousins over the internet, but then it got cancelled.. :(

This week?  :) Hmm.. In the evening then would fit me best.. :) Not Friday, but tomorrow Wednesday or Thursday after 21:00 Finnish time would be OK for me :) How about you?

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 09:38:09 AM »
I have several groups of friends to play with, since my son was born but I can play on a Friday every two weeks, barring unforeseen circumstances. We never play in Carcassonne.
Playing with my wife every now and then, but she gets bored because I always win, I'm months now that I do not play with the tiles physical. Ipad and jcloister are my games.
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 09:51:33 AM »
My wife will play games, but never suggests it.  She gets made at me when I "play mean" too.
Flee the fleas.

Offline BabyGamer

• Duke
  • Aloha! =^_^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 02:54:14 PM »
My wife will play games, but never suggests it.  She gets made at me when I "play mean" too.

Well I totally understand your wife... :) I get mad too... Or well, I start to whine...  :))

Why? Well it's mean!!!! :) Your significent other is not supposed to be mean...  ;) hehe...  ;D

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 01:10:48 AM »
Well yesterday a big surprise. She bought me 2 things i still didnt had. The phantom and bridges and bazaars.

The last 2 month she kind of turned to like games more haha

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 01:36:52 AM »
This does bring up an interesting idea.

Is there a board game where everyone needs to work together to win? I know of these RPG games but many of them do have a gamemaster that is the opponent.

I'm talking about a game where there are no players to play against, rather it's an element or game style you are battling and only together you stand a chance to win.

UPDATE: An example Carcassonne related: Much like the fan expansion with challenge cards, there would be one or several challenges drawn before game starts and players need to help one another acomplish them in order to win. Else the game wins.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:38:42 AM by Yellow »
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 03:00:11 AM »
Is there a board game where everyone needs to work together to win? I know of these RPG games but many of them do have a gamemaster that is the opponent.

I'm talking about a game where there are no players to play against, rather it's an element or game style you are battling and only together you stand a chance to win.

Definitely! There is a whole genre of games like that and my wife and I are very fond of some of the more mainstream ones. Our favourites are:

- Forbidden Island
- Forbidden Desert
- Pandemic
- Flash Point: Fire Rescue

These are good because you have to work together and co-operate. If you win, you both win. If you lose, you can argue about whose fault it was instead. Generally they're really good fun and they all share some very common themes.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 03:31:07 AM »
I think one of the first cooperative games was "Lord of the rings" from Reiner Knizia / Kosmos, "Legends of Andor" is not so evil, but same category.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 04:17:15 AM »
I am going to check some of these co-op board games out when I get a chance. It's bizarre this type of board games never popped in my head until now and I'm intrigued.  :(y)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 05:13:17 AM »
The ones I've played usually follow a similar pattern:

- You take x number of actions which may be anything depending on the game, your character's special abilities (if any) or cards that you have in your hand.

- You take some more cards, discarding some of them if you've gone over a set limit.

- You draw cards on behalf of the game and act accordingly which will usually worsen any bad situations and generally make life much more complicated for you.

Then it's over to the next player to do the same.

In the "Forbidden ..." games the purpose is to collect various artefacts before escaping and the character's special abilities can make the game really interesting (or too easy/ hard depending on what you draw). In Pandemic you have to eradicate four diseases and in Flash Point: Fire Rescue you have to rescue people from a burning building (I find this one the most complicated).

The reason we like them so much, other than that we're almost guaranteed not to have a fight during the game, is that it feels like you're part of a story or a film or whatever as the games are very much driven by events and things happening rather than simply following rules and scoring points.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 05:47:42 AM »
Is there a board game where everyone needs to work together to win?

Hanabi
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter