Author Topic: magic portal  (Read 3161 times)

Offline davide

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
magic portal
« on: January 05, 2021, 04:36:43 PM »
I think I always played wrong, when I use the magic portal, I also marked the fields and I read that the magic portal is used only on incomplete features and which are not marked, right? it is not used on fields :-\ :-\

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4970.0

Offline davide

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
Re: magic portal
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 05:09:01 PM »
 Il Grinch  : mmmm Davide tell the true to Meepledrone, how many mistakes have you had with the princess and dragon???
Davide :What mistakes are you referring to? do you mean those little innocent mistakes ??
 Il Grinch  : yes !!
Davide :to use the meeple with the magic portal and put it in the fields?
 Il Grinch  :yes !!
Davide :to move the dragon only when the volcano tiles came out??
 Il Grinch :yes!!
Davide :to score the complete features before moving the dragon , when the dragon tile came out???
 Il Grinch  : :-X ::) ::) ::) yes !yes ! yes !!!
Davide : :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ;) ;)I'm so sorry
IL grinch :don't you forget something else?
Davide :what else?
 Il Grinch  :think about it
Davide : when I  continues the city and put the builder and at the same time the farmer and the pig in the same tile?
 Il Grinch  : I have no words !!!
Davide :luckily in the advent quiz, there were no questions about theme, I don't know how I guessed 12 out of 24
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:00:09 PM by davide »

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 11:26:34 PM »
Hi Davide,

With a magic portal, you may place a meeple on any feature, including a field, but you can't place it on a feature that do already contain a meeple, and also not on a feature that has already been completed.

https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Princess_and_The_Dragon#2._Placing_a_meeple_4

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 12:22:31 AM »
Il Grinch  : mmmm Davide tell the true to Meepledrone, how many mistakes have you had with the princess and dragon???
Davide :What mistakes are you referring to? do you mean those little innocent mistakes ??
 Il Grinch  : yes !!
Davide :to use the meeple with the magic portal and put it in the fields?
 Il Grinch  :yes !!
Davide :to move the dragon only when the volcano tiles came out??
 Il Grinch :yes!!
Davide :to score the complete features before moving the dragon , when the dragon tile came out???
 Il Grinch  : :-X ::) ::) ::) yes !yes ! yes !!!
Davide : :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ;) ;)I'm so sorry
IL grinch :don't you forget something else?
Davide :what else?
 Il Grinch  :think about it
Davide : when I  continues the city and put the builder and at the same time the farmer and the pig in the same tile?
 Il Grinch  : I have no words !!!
Davide :luckily in the advent quiz, there were no questions about theme, I don't know how I guessed 12 out of 24

Ha ha ha!

You shouldn't be confessing your little sins to the Grinch... He will use them against you eventually  :o

Just say you had some house rules to spice up the game...  ;)

Nobody will point fingers at you for doing that.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 01:04:55 AM »
Hi Davide,

With a magic portal, you may place a meeple on any feature, including a field, but you can't place it on a feature that do already contain a meeple, and also not on a feature that has already been completed.

https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Princess_and_The_Dragon#2._Placing_a_meeple_4

Yep... The idea behind the magic portal is that you can place a meeple on any feature vacated with the dragon, that includes fields... So whatever evil the dragon does, can be balanced with a magic portal... with limitations of course.

As corinthiens13 mentioned, the feature to be occupied via a magic portal has to be unoccupied and incomplete. You may occupy any feature placed on a tile (see final notes below).

In contrast, flying machines may land a meeple on any feature on a tile but fields, even if it is already occupied. Special areas are off-limits too (see final notes below).

There is a tiny subtlety here: the tile with the magic portal or flying machine cannot be completing the feature you want to occupy (if a tile completes the feature in 1. Placing a tile, you cannot occupy it with a magic portal -or flying machine- in 2. Placing a meeple). Check footnote #13 for magic portals on the same page corinthiens13 mentioned above:
https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Princess_and_The_Dragon#cite_note-13

Some additional notes on the use of magic portals and flying machines:

* You use a magic portal to land on a claimable feature so you cannot concatenate the use of magic portals and/or flying machines to bend the rules. For example:
 - Using a flying machine to land on a magic portal to place a meeple as a farmer
 - Using a magic portal to place your meeple on a flying machine to land on an occupied feature
So both magic portals and flying machines can only be used during the turn you placed them.
* If playing with The Phantom and you are placing a wooden meeple and a phantom, only one of them can use the magic portal or flying machine on a tile.
* Magic portals and flying machines allow you to occupy a claimable feature located on tiles, but not special areas. This means no Exp. 8 castles, no School, no Leipzig quarter, no inside of Carcassonne, no crown space on the Wheel of Fortune. However, you can use magic portals and flying machines to occupy features on the tiles outside these special areas.
* There are special areas on tiles too than cannot be accessed via a magic portal or a flying machine:
   - Towers floors (you can place a meeple directly on a tower)
   - Areas where meeples stay trapped such as bathhouses, the Solovei Razboinyk tree and the Vodyanoy lake.

EDIT: Added bullet on special areas on tiles that cannot be accessed by a magic portal or a flying machine.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:29:55 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline davide

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 04:38:55 AM »
thank's ,the rules are very difficult to understand.so I played well,or the field is considerated complete too in case it's closed the area?

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 05:13:05 AM »
thank's ,the rules are very difficult to understand.so I played well,or the field is considerated complete too in case it's closed the area?

You played well  ;)

A field is never considered completed, so you can place a meeple on every field with a magic portal (except a wagon, as the wagon can not be placed on a field).

One exception: When a field is closed and there is a shepherd (from exp hills and sheep), the shepherd is automatically evaluated (otherwise, it would be stuck there until the end of the game).

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 10:57:24 AM »

You played well  ;)

A field is never considered completed, so you can place a meeple on every field with a magic portal (except a wagon, as the wagon can not be placed on a field).

Correct!

You can find some clarifications by HiG in this regard here:
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5026.msg74390#msg74390

One exception: When a field is closed and there is a shepherd (from exp hills and sheep), the shepherd is automatically evaluated (otherwise, it would be stuck there until the end of the game).

In this case, the closing of the field triggers the scoring of the shepherds in it automatically. If the active player was the one who closed the field with his shepherd, he will be allowed to expand his flock before his flock is scored.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Magic Portal to an unoccupied Monastery..?

Started by Bungalowbelf

15 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 04:55:45 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Magic portal and volcano

Started by Leven

4 Replies
Last post February 19, 2021, 07:35:47 AM
by Leven
xx
Bug Report: Magic Portal