Author Topic: New digital version of Carcassonne coming to Android & Steam  (Read 9815 times)

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
Asmodee Digital just announced via their Facebook page that they are working on a new digital version of Carcassonne for Android & Steam (PC). The accompanying image suggests it will be styled in the new style artwork with an added sense of 3D to the tiles. Currently Asmodee is taking sign ups for the upcoming beta test of the game.

You can see the original post here (I think), https://www.facebook.com/AsmodeeDigital/photos/a.955810484442115.1073741829.941343545888809/1465970130092812/?type=3

You can get instructions on how to sign up for the beta here, http://forums.asmodee.net/topic/2-how-to-apply/

For me personally, I LOVE the iOS version of Carcassonne and so that's my barometer in regards to what I expect of this new Android & Steam version. Based on the single image in that Facebook post I'm about 50/50 at this point but to be fair Asmodee has been hitting it out of the park lately with their digital board game apps.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3370.0

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: New digital version of Carcassonne coming to Android & Steam
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 01:24:59 PM »
Thanks for the heads up (merit given). I for one will welcome a good Android app, always felt ours was inferior to the iOS one.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 09:32:29 PM »
Yes this is great news - a stick would have been a better implementation than what Android users face presently.  An update and a refresh is long overdue!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 03:13:04 AM »
Is this an upgrade or do we pay for it again?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 05:59:01 AM »
Is this an upgrade or do we pay for it again?

They want money for it. 

A different company created the original app.

Offline TheDoctor_13

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 1
  • I'll Claim This Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 03:05:36 PM »
Awesome! I never bought the original app (though I did get it part of a Humble Bundle). So this seems welcome.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »
I got my alpha pass today.  I had a quick game against the AI.  The artwork is very jazzed up, but it runs a lot smoother than the previous incarnation.  The Easy AI wasn't terrible either, so I'm hoping that's improved too.  The 3D view is a little odd while playing, but it's possible to look from above.  If I get chance, I'll take a couple of captures.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 10:42:41 AM »
Sounds promising then? I don't have any games on my phone will this break my streak? :)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 11:31:48 AM »
I'm one of the testers now, so i'll be looking out for bugs and improvements ;)
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 02:11:45 PM »
I am a beta tester on Steam and I've already managed to run into a bug. Two thirds of the way through a solo game against an easy AI I managed to lock up the game so to speak. Quitting and reloading didn't help as the game gets stuck at the loading screen when I try to resume. Anyways this isn't the place for bug reports so let me share some screenshots instead.

I want to point out that right now the game has three levels of AI (Easy, Medium, and Hard). The game includes two playable expansions, The Abbot and The River I. For right now, they are included but it looks like in the future you may have to purchase them. There is a tutorial although I skipped it. There is a shop but it is unavailable right now. In game you can have a top down view or an isometric view. In game you can toggle on a farm overlay that will highlight all currently occupied farms and who has majority (very similar to how JCloisterZone does it). As an option you can have the game indicate when no tiles will not fit in a particular hole. As another option you can have access to a list of all remaining tiles. I haven't tried the online yet but there is a chat lobby and in game messaging.

I won't comment on the visuals as I'll let the screenshots do the talking. As for sound the music track is alright and the sound effects aren't too annoying or anything. I think one nice touch is that if you are playing with the River expansion then you can hear sounds of the river flowing.

On the loading screens the game provides you with some tips and funny little quips. Interestingly enough one of the tips suggests that you try the Inns & Cathedrals expansion even though that expansion isn't yet available. So if nothing else we know that one will be in the final release!

Assuming the bugs I've noticed so far get sorted out this looks like it will be a very solid release for PC and Android. FWIW though I still ultimately prefer the iOS version unless Asmodee could somehow surpass the iOS version in terms of available expansions. Even then though I'd still probably prefer the iOS version anyways since I prefer iOS in general over Android.

Anyways, enjoy the screenshots!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 01:21:02 AM »
Looks great. I like the fact that it's cross-platform. Might buy it for the laptop to be able to play with Android users (possibly with my brother in Canada too), though the lack of expansions could be annoying at the beginning.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 01:22:04 AM »
Shame it looks like it won't be compatible with the iOS version.  But if Steam is covered maybe XBOX is coming  :(y)

Offline TheDoctor_13

• Nobleman
  • I'll Claim This Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
Artwork looks rather strange. The 3D mode is decent, though top down the art seems more jagged and square then curvy rivers for example.

Offline Singing Dwarf

• Villein
  • Keep Calm and Carcassonne!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 06:18:12 AM »
Looks like the signup for this has disappeared.

I registered for the Android stream last week and went back today to register for Steam, but its gone  :(

I haven't heard anything from them since - I assume that the current closed beta testers here are on Steam?

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 11:14:49 PM »
Looks like this new app isn't too far away now. Exozet (who made the current app) have altered the game description to say their licence runs out at the end of this month and that their app will then dissappear from the Google Play store.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
[Android] Carcassonne: Tiles & Tactics Now Available

Started by TheDoctor_13

19 Replies
Last post December 07, 2018, 09:21:50 AM
by Singing Dwarf
thumbdown
New Carcassonne App for Android

Started by danisthirty

104 Replies
Last post June 21, 2017, 12:51:16 PM