Poll

Which is your favourite expansion box art?

Inns & Cathedrals
2 (8.3%)
Traders & Builders
3 (12.5%)
The Princess & the Dragon
3 (12.5%)
The Tower
1 (4.2%)
Abbey & Mayor
1 (4.2%)
Count, King, & Robber
3 (12.5%)
The Catapult
1 (4.2%)
Bridges, Castles, and Bazaars
5 (20.8%)
Hills & Sheep
5 (20.8%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Favouritism Poll #8 : Large Expansion Box Art (Old Art)  (Read 5727 times)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Favouritism Poll #8 : Large Expansion Box Art (Old Art)
« on: February 09, 2017, 08:01:33 AM »
We haven't done a favoritism poll in quite a long time.  A few weeks ago Gin_Carcassonne posted one for the new art.  I couldn't seem to find one for the old art, so here we go.  Unfortunately the old art is gone, so this is the complete list of the large expansions.  The minis do not count for this poll, but I left other as an option in case someone has "Science and Magic" or some other large expansion that is region specific.   

The base game art poll can be found here if interested. 
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2587.0

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3165.0
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:07:16 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: Favouritism Poll #8 : Large Expansion Box Art (Old Art)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:37:30 AM »
It's harder than I thougt to pick a favourite of these!
Went with the P&D, because I like how it has quit a lot of different things it adds to the game :)
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:42:24 AM »
It's harder than I thougt to pick a favourite of these!
Went with the P&D, because I like how it has quit a lot of different things it adds to the game :)

Willem, we are just talking about the box art and not the contents of the box.   The dragon on that box looks good, but the people don't seem to be paying any attention to it.  It must be nice knowing that if you are eaten, you can come back as a knight, thief, monk, or farmer.   

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
Haha, I should learn to read better before I answer :)
Will stick with the P&D, because of the Dragon ;)

Offline Ry4Christ

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 01:27:25 PM »
I like the box art for Bridges, Castles, and Bazaars the best probably. The marketplace scene is intriguing to me for some reason.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 02:19:29 PM »
For me it was out of Traders and Builders, Abbey and Mayor and Hills and Sheep. But in the end I voted for Hills and Sheep. I just think all the elements (vineyards, hills and sheep/shepherd) come together so nicely in a natural and unforced way.

Meanwhile, I just noticed that the RGG cover for Abbey and Mayor calls it the 5th 'extension' rather than 'expansion'. Extension is used in French for board game expansions but in English expansion is very much the preferred word (although extension is a perfectly valid word in other contexts). Can anyone with an A&M RGG box confirm this?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 02:33:24 PM »
I voted for Abbey & Mayor because I think the mayor looks funny. Other than this I was stuck as I don't really have favourites when it comes to box art.

True story: Abbey & Mayor used to be listed on Amazon(.co.uk) as "Abbey & Manor" but I was all like "Dude!" and they were all like "What?" and I was all like "What you playing at?" and they were all like "What you mean dude?" and I was all like "It's totally Abbey and Mayor" and they were all like "Yeah?" and I was all like "And you got it as Abbey & Manor!" and they were all like "No way dude!" and I all was like "Yes way" and they were all like "Sorry dude we'll fix it". And they did. +1 merit to myself for doing that.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »
A&M definitely has the best color box.  I'm not sure about that mayor though.  What door does that key open?  Is he some sort of 1200s Flava Flav?   O0

In other box differences, my Rio Grande Traders and Builders says "Not a Complete Game".  Others say "Expansion" but no number.  The ZMan version says "Expansion 2".  Mine doesn't have the cool watermarks.

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 12:41:41 AM »
I voted for Abbey & Mayor because I think the mayor looks funny. Other than this I was stuck as I don't really have favourites when it comes to box art.

True story: Abbey & Mayor used to be listed on Amazon(.co.uk) as "Abbey & Manor" but I was all like "Dude!" and they were all like "What?" and I was all like "What you playing at?" and they were all like "What you mean dude?" and I was all like "It's totally Abbey and Mayor" and they were all like "Yeah?" and I was all like "And you got it as Abbey & Manor!" and they were all like "No way dude!" and I all was like "Yes way" and they were all like "Sorry dude we'll fix it". And they did. +1 merit to myself for doing that.

Merit and nominated for best story of 2017.
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline Karcalijn

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I call purple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 02:20:16 AM »

A&M definitely has the best color box.  I'm not sure about that mayor though.  What door does that key open?  Is he some sort of 1200s Flava Flav?   O0

I'm shocked about your key question! It's the key from the town/city he is mayor from. Since he is the boss and all that. I don't now about other countries, but in mine the mayor still weares the key from his town. Altough it is a big, i think silver, oversized necklace now a days. But that is still THE key.

But to be on topic now: My favorite box is also abbey and mayor. It's not shouty and has a nice color :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

This is the game, those are the rules and that is how it should be played!

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 03:55:08 AM »

I'm shocked about your key question! It's the key from the town/city he is mayor from. Since he is the boss and all that. I don't now about other countries, but in mine the mayor still weares the key from his town. Altough it is a big, i think silver, oversized necklace now a days. But that is still THE key.

That is so cool.

Our last 3 mayors are famous for the following reasons, but none wore a key.

1.  Last one forbid the police from interrupting a riot.
2.  One before her stole gift cards meant for charity.
3.  Probably our most famous mayor was played by Aidan Gillen on HBO's "The Wire".

Some cities award the "key to the city" to a citizen that does something great.  The mayor awards this, but now you have me wondering if it is worn.  I also wonder if it is made of chocolate. 
 ;)

Offline Karcalijn

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I call purple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 07:16:40 AM »

Our last 3 mayors are famous for the following reasons, but none wore a key.

1.  Last one forbid the police from interrupting a riot.
2.  One before her stole gift cards meant for charity.
3.  Probably our most famous mayor was played by Aidan Gillen on HBO's "The Wire".

Some cities award the "key to the city" to a citizen that does something great.  The mayor awards this, but now you have me wondering if it is worn.  I also wonder if it is made of chocolate. 
 ;)

Maybe they should reinstate the key with your mayors. With the big, heavy necklace offcourse. If they carry the burden all the time, they might not be breaking the law. Altough, then you wouldn't have famous mayors anymore ;)

The key of chocolate really made me laugh, great idea :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Favouritism Poll #4 : Base Game Box Art

Started by Decar

26 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 11:09:24 PM
by aenima
xx
Basically Wooden large box: pictures (drop box) & some dimensions.

Started by egamar

6 Replies
Last post December 02, 2015, 01:54:42 AM
by Rosco
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule

Started by Decar

33 Replies
Last post September 21, 2023, 06:39:35 AM
by Meles
xx
New Art vs Old Art...a Solution